Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins (Read 18 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I'll take the creative thread title baton back from Jerry for today 

I'm thinking today might have to be an unscheduled rest day.  I woke up and everything feels off and sore today.  I'll definitely do some active recovery and yoga and maybe then I'll feel good enough to get out there. Right now my right hip/lower back are tight and sore, my left foot feels strange, and generally my body is just kind of saying "WTF?"  Ugh.  I'm starting to think racing that half marathon during training was a bad idea 

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Jill and DR.

RD #2. Still driving in NY State.

Congrats Jill on another creativity title.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, I didn't walk yesterday as I got caught up watching the Sweet Adelines International competition webcast.  Yesterday was quartet semi-finals, and it completely sucked up all my attention after lunch.  Today I can't do that, I have actual work to do!  But today is chorus semi-finals, and we're going to watch some of the webcast at our own chorus rehearsal tonight, so that's all good.

sapf -- sorry your body is rebelling!!  Maybe the URD will take care of everything.

Docket -- enjoy your Pilates!!

Jerryb -- Upstate NY is so beautiful, enjoy!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We might run a 5K with the Central Mass. Striders on Saturday.  They also directed us to some running trails in Worcester.  At least we will get a few miles in.

Zelanie

Morning!  Track last night went great- I haven't been for about 2 months, and I'm pretty sure I couldn't have done the workout that I did last night.  The whole feeling was different- I felt a lot more in control and less freaked out by "how much further".  And I was faster. Smile

Tonight I have to work a double and then have 12 afterwards. 

sapf- Stretch and roll, and heal up!

D- When's travel day?

Jerry- That's awesome that you got the local running info.  Enjoy the trip!

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Jill, I hope you work the kinks out. Don't worry about the "what ifs" right now (that you shouldn't have done the HM), just focus on getting your last long run in and then the easy-peasy taper!

I ran an easy 6.7 before dawn.  I never ever do that - usually if I wake up early, I find something to do until the sun comes up.  But we have a heat wave coming in today   so I got out there and got it done.

GinnyinPA

Jill - any chance you can get a good massage?  Or even get your husband to do it?  I remember being really stiff in the glutes and my legs at the end of training and wishing I could afford a professional, but DH gave it a try.

HopesMom - enjoy your music.

D - have fun at Pilates.

Jerry - after no 5ks for 3 years, two in two weeks?  Have fun exploring in MA

Z - what are you training for?  I'm glad you're feeling so much more confident.

Allison - good job getting in a dawn run.  I love that time of day, but I rarely see it, unless it's because I'm still awake from the previous night.  ;-)

AFM:  I think I'll do my hilly neighborhood today.  The next few days will be busy, so I'm trying to get some good workouts while I can.

Zelanie

Ginny,  I've got a November HM. Smile

From the Internet.

Husband comes back tomorrow night so I'll be able to stop panicking and running around like a crazy person all day - back to early morning runs and calm(ish) work days! Got in 9 miles at work today, first long-ish run since pre-broken toe! Big grin It was lovely and I'll try for 10 for next weekend's long run.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill - any chance you can get a good massage?  Or even get your husband to do it?  I remember being really stiff in the glutes and my legs at the end of training and wishing I could afford a professional, but DH gave it a try.

I got a massage on Monday and it didn't really help much - maybe the day after a race isn't the best day for a massage.  I think that I just need a couple of days of rest and then I can go onward with training.  I've been stretching and rolling a lot today.

Docket_Rocket

Z, I leave Saturday.  lol.

Ran 3.50 with hubby.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page