Beginners and Beyond

Penguins, It's a Day Closer to the Showdown...... (Read 196 times)

Z- you snuck in on me. I totally see you runnning out in the elements like rocky does in the movies.

ERLH- getting up early is the only way I get workouts in. Great job on getting out there and running. Keep up the good work.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Not really feeling better but the chiro worked on the back and worked on what it could, but until the swollen ilacus goes down, the pain will still be there.  Not sure if I am going to do my race on Sunday.  Depends on how the back feels.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I was off work yesterday due to a noon-time singing gig with my chorus.  It was awesome, we sang for a Military Officers' luncheon, and we closed with the Armed Forces Medley, which brought down the house.  They gave us a standing ovation at the end, and we gave it right back.  It was nice to be able to honor them that way.

I've run my W2D1 and my W2D2 so far this week, and with all the running and singing and standing, my knee is a little twingy.  The rest of the week isn't going to get any easier, so I guess it'll just be how it is.  Life is never dull!!

kristin -- maybe you're pregnant?  Wink

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Wandering Wally

Mitch - I didn't know Uncle Si was a runner.  Maybe from his 'Nam days?  :-)

Last night I ran 12K.  More of a slog through the snow on one of my favorite paths.  My calves are telling me I'd better run on the road tonight because they got trashed last night breaking a trail.

If you are out running tonight, the Geminid meteor shower is peaking:  http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/ten-tips-for-watching-the-geminid-meteor-shower   Should be fun to watch if we are blessed with clear skies.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Good morning Penguins! Sorry it will only be a short one for me, but this is what I did today:

Arm Rotations (vertical--above head--& horizontal--parallel to floor): 4 minutes each
            Walking Lunges: 50
            Squat Thrusts (Burpee without the pushup): 75
            Reach Through (situp, but reaching arms between legs): 50

1 mile run:
            1st lap (0.25): 2:57 (11:50 min/mile)
            2nd lap (0.25): 2:12 (8:50 min/mile)
            3rd lap (0.25): 1:59 (7:59 min/mile)
            4th lap (0.25): 2:57 (11:50 min/mile)
            Max Speed: 7:05 min/mile

I started doing FB challenges with friends and this was today's. I come up with them the night before and they have until midnight the next day to complete it. It's nice because we keep each other motivated!

Well, I am off because I have a lot to do today. More moving stuff (shipping my car). Hooray!

Dad on the run.

Think I have a head cold Sad Out of work sick today and felt horrible all day at work yesterday. Still no fever so I don't think its anything more than that, stuffy head, sore though, chest congestion but no fever. So no running for me lastnight and probably none tonight or tomorrow Sad Always something to set me back..... oh well.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Gustav, you must have done something wrong if you did your plumbing job with only 1 trip to teh store....  Also some of those other trips involve just getting out of the house Smile

Anyway, can't run tonight so I pounded out 3.3 this morning at 8:10 pace.  One of these days I will be able to drop that to sub 8....

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

Hello all, I got in 4 sluggish miles! I think eating Chinese food for dinner and then getting up to run is not a good idea!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I like eatrunlivehappy's theory about my race dreams the best! I do NOT like Hopesmom's theory! That would be a catastrophe at this moment in my life! And I think I am stressed about the amount of rest my body seems to need this week. I havent bren able to run since Sunday,and I'm worried that will affect my performance, and also worried my energy will still be so low for the race. We will see I guess!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Wandering Wally

KristiRTT - No, Chinese food does not make good running fuel.  I've discovered that a couple of times.  Out in the woods.  Miles from the nearest outhouse.  With no TP.

See this article for a discussion of stress in our lives and how it affects our running:  http://sock-doc.com/sock-doc-training-formula/  The signs of excess stress can be subtle, but need to be listened to.  Also, while we may think because we run slow and not very far it's impossble to be over trained.  Not true.  Learn to watch for the signs:  http://sock-doc.com/2011/02/warning-signs-symptoms-of-overtraining/

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, I probably didn't tell you guys!  DH needed to scour the town for a CD recorder (don't ask), so he and Dusty came in to work with me today!  They're off shopping now, but it was fun this morning having Dusty wander around my office, lay under my desk, bark at my tech, and shed hair everywhere.  And it was awesome having DH drive this morning!  I didn't sleep, but I could've!  Big grin

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I probably didn't tell you guys!  DH needed to scour the town for a CD recorder (don't ask), so he and Dusty came in to work with me today!  They're off shopping now, but it was fun this morning having Dusty wander around my office, lay under my desk, bark at my tech, and shed hair everywhere.  And it was awesome having DH drive this morning!  I didn't sleep, but I could've!  Big grin

Awwww.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

Morning Penguins! :-)

Philliefan, the potluck and free holiday meal would be my downfalls!  It's really nice though that your company has such nice holiday perks.

Kara-- Sad  What a stressful week with the sick youngens and DH gone so much.

Docket- wow @ it still being hot & humid.  That kind of sucks the motivation out.  Hope you heal up before Sunday's race.  

Zelanie, good luck on at cold wet run.  You best be thinking warm thoughts!

Eatrunetc- good job getting up @ 5.  That is early (at least to me!)  

HopesMom, sounds like an awesome show you all put on for their luncheon.  Do you have some of your music available online?  Also, curious about whether you ever got your Garmin watch to start downloading?

Rach-- what a nice motivating FB idea!

Jblack-- sorry you're not feeling well.  

I did an easy 6 miles yesterday and again today.  I'm considering signing up for a marathon in Feb, but I'm feeling out this week & next to see  if it's really doable then.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Awwww.

The only problem was that he was scared of the floor in the hallway.  I don't know if it was too shiny, or too slippery since they just waxed it.  But then a little while ago I wondered if he thought he was going to the vet ...

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom, sounds like an awesome show you all put on for their luncheon.  Do you have some of your music available online?  Also, curious about whether you ever got your Garmin watch to start downloading?

We have a couple of videos posted on our Facebook page.  As for the Garmin, it's never going to work on my work computer -- you have to be admin to install the plugin, and I'm not.  Firefox didn't tell me that, but Chrome did.  I'm not too fussed, I just enter my runs manually, and I don't have any history.  But it's all good.