Beginners and Beyond

84th race of 2017 - San Antonio Rock n Roll 10K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  This is a very popular race, so I took a LOT of photos; if you don't want to see them all individually below and read my full report please go to the slideshow link for faster viewing and no commentary.

Full report below.   

Slide show of photos only: 

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2084%20RnR%2010K%20and%205K?sort=2 

BEFORE MY START 

My 84th race of 2017 was the Rock n Roll 10K held on Dec 2, as part of the San Antonio Rock n Roll Series of races.  There was also a 5K on Dec 2, and a marathon, half-marathon, and half-marathon relay on Dec 3. The 10K and 5K participants started together at 7:30 a.m.  My wife, Gail, did the 5K.  We did a 'stay-cation" over the weekend for the RnR, as we were doing an event on Sunday too; our hotel was pretty close by to the start  area, so we walked up there, arriving at race site a little after 7 a.m. Still rather dark when we got there.  Lots of people already there as I took some prestart photos.

Making the love of my life, my wife, Gail, laugh before the start

With friends Daisy and my 'sister-from-another-mister'  Karen

With friend Curtis...this guy is amazing... the distances he runs, the events he does.  he is pretty darn speedy too.

Various Participants, etc

Some of my lovely lady friends from Black Girls Run

I see these ladies at a lot of events and take lots of photos of them....so they unofficially made me an honorary member of "Black Girls Run"...   might have to change my name to Caitlin Dogg...   

Love my nurse friend's shirt....lol.

In the start area

ON THE COURSE

Start from historic Sunset Station, which is right near the Alamodome in San Antonio, where the NBA San Antonio Spurs used to play, but is now a venue for all kinds of concerts, expos, The Alamo Bowl football game, etc.  Both the 5K and 10K . did a loop course for their respective routes, with the 5K breaking off at one point, as the 10K participants headed out for their longer loop.  The routes conjoined once more on Houston Street and then both the 5K people and the 10K people finished at Alamo Plaza in front of The Alamo.  For the most part the 10K was fairly flat, but did have  couple of inclines to go up and go down. There were also a few bands at various points along the way. This was my first time doing 10K distance in about 8 months, so had not really trained for it, although I had done several 5-mile training runs.  I figured I would finish this in about 1:20 and change, and I was not far off, ended up with 1:15:43.  Not at all speedy, but I was enjoying myself, interacting with the other participants and taking photos;  and I did manage to run in the last 1.4 miles nonstop.  I thought it was funny, right before the 5-mile point - and I thought I had already passed the 5 mile point, lol, when I encountered friend Scott Peacock, president of my running club, who was one of the course marshals I guess, out there riding his bike and checking on people along the course to make sure they were ok, and he called out to me "Looking good, Scotty, 1.4 miles to go!"  I was like, WHAT?  I thought I had already passed Mile 5. You're not helping, Scott!    Well, I did okay, and I was trying to take it a bit easy since I had another event on Sunday morning, so I was pretty happy I did the 6.2 and was still standing after.  

Two people up front wearing the neon green race shirt participants got

It can be a lonely road at times for we slower people, lol

Heading back toward downtown

One last band before I headed nonstop to the finish...

AFTER MY FINISH

The post-party at Alamo Plaza was very nicely done. Post-race cold beer, various kinds of food goodies, live music, etcetera. etcetera...fun times as I wandered around munching and drinking and taking post-race photos.

My speedy friend Daisy made it in way before me for the 10K..under an hour

The family dog had to get into the photo...

A stop in front of The Alamo before heading to my room. 

Back at the room...Gail had gone back right after she finished the 5K since she had an appointment and had to change and go to that....my race bib, a little worse for wear....my 84th race of 2017 done.

EPILOGUE

All in all, a pretty enjoyable experience.  Saw lots of friends before, during, and after; nice tech tee shirt, very bright - I like bright shirts, lol - 10K was a kind of neon green; 5K shirt was more of a darker blue; nice finisher medal.  I would do this one again, but with an event to do on Sunday too, I would probably opt for the 5K next time on Saturday, to give the legs a bit of rest before the Sunday event.  Or maybe not. 

MUCHO THANKS to all the people that made this one happen for us, Competitive Running company that puts on these events; all the probably hundreds and hundreds of volunteers who were out there for we participants for the Expo and the races; all the law enforcement out there for us and the city workers who had to do all the road closures, etc, has to be a major logistics nightmare at moments, and a lot of hard work; and everyone else I may not have mentioned.  This is a HUGE event and takes lots of work.  Without all of you, no race for us, so thank all of you very much!

One person I would specifically like to mention:  Competitive Running employee Josh Garcia.  I had some registration glitches and issues - and had trouble contacting someone in the company to get it fixed - you would think the company would had some kind of 'hotline number' or email specifically for these issues with a team dedicated to just that, resolving problems;  but every time I called the number I was given, all I got was an answering machine and a canned response that the 'mailbox was full and was not taking messages at this time."  Really?  Tried FB page too, and they did answer me, but it took them a couple of days.    I realize they probably get hundreds of calls and posts but even so...Good grief.  Well, Josh DID contact me pretty quick and he went "above-and-beyond" to get things right for me, so thank you very much!  Your company needs to give you a raise!  Well, a free dinner if nothing else. 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Good job doing the longer distance. Nice challenge for you. Why did you stay at a hotel when you live in SA?