Beginners and Beyond

Wake up MonDAILIES (Read 35 times)

delicate flower

4.2 on a hill route.  I feel my strongest when I am running a lot of hill routes, which I have sort of gotten away from the past two months.  Need to correct that.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Hey, D -- I'm coming back to your neck of the woods next month!!  Time will be scarce but it would be nice if we could squeeze something in

Yes, please!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Had a nice 35 yesterday, even though 7 hours solo is a long time. I guess it's good for the mental game in addition to the running game.

Nice run!  I've never ran quite that long, but I like 3 hour runs.  The solo mental time is one of the best parts.  I'm an introvert, and that time is a dose of the good stuff.

Runner with a riding problem.

Cy, you can def be in this dream.  You are very tall, and probably make excellent shade for my vampire skin, lol!  Thank all that is holy for the AC at work.  This place is a-freaking-mazing.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Strength training.

I did a handful (ok, like 3) of 3 hour long runs for my full, which worked out to 15 or 16 miles. I found this article that had some quotes from the famous running gurus. Basically, after 3 hours, there are diminishing returns, especially if you are not fast (me). I was super nervous with the lack of runs over 16 miles, but wound up not having any major issues in the race and had a barely 1 minute positive split.

LM, won't help you right now, but if you have the option, look into getting a service plan for your AC/heat. We have one for our house & it is great--for $350/year, we get a spring and fall inspection, plus if shit breaks, they come that day.

Docket_Rocket

6 miles and an MMA workout (it was just 20 minutes, but still ouch).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Strength training.

I did a handful (ok, like 3) of 3 hour long runs for my full, which worked out to 15 or 16 miles. I found this article that had some quotes from the famous running gurus. Basically, after 3 hours, there are diminishing returns, especially if you are not fast (me). I was super nervous with the lack of runs over 16 miles, but wound up not having any major issues in the race and had a barely 1 minute positive split.

It's a huge leap of faith and you're a great example of it working.  Having said that, it's definitely not a one size fits all thing.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Half Crazy K 2.0

It's a huge leap of faith and you're a great example of it working.  Having said that, it's definitely not a one size fits all thing.

I think the main reason it worked as well as it did was that I had no intention of racing and only wanted to finish upright, so I fought the urge to start fast (2 mile downhill to start) and it paid off in the second half. The 3 hours was also out of necessity- there aren't many 6 week marathon plans. I don't know that I would feel confident doing this again if I had a time goal.

RunningOnSand

There's been some good convos here today. I would now like a Mtn. Dew to sip on (even though I usually hate the stuff), while I simultaneously would like a Coke. Even though Coke wasn't mentioned, I have a strong affinity for it since, last time I was in Mexico with my husband, I mistakenly got extremely drunk, went on a mandated ocean cruise, and Coke saved the day. I can imagine Mtn. Dew would be even better. I'd like to be sipping on each, while on the beaches of St. Martin. Not snorkeling or diving, though. I'd just people watch (a la Bert).

Whiskers & LM, wtf. BOTH of your a/c's went out????! That's just wrong.

35 miles, SIAR?! Nicely done.

For my 3 marathons (in which I didn't really race any of them) I ran 20s. 1 each for my first two (and those were really just to finish), and I did 3 20s for my last one. I think it helped immensely with my mental game, although I'm not sure what Coach will have me do this fall.

I ran 6 today, breaking up the run into 2 parts since time was scarce and I just had to fit it in where I could (since I am currently refusing to get up early). Tomorrow's intervals, and I'm scared. On that note, I'm outtie! Time for bed. G'night, ya'll.

Cyberic

Cy, you can def be in this dream.  You are very tall, and probably make excellent shade for my vampire skin, lol!  

That is very funny. I thought I was going on risky terrain asking to be in your dream, but you aced it!

But hey, If I'm in your your dream to provide shade, please oh please put a beer in my hand and shades on my face.