Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Sunny ThursdayLIES (Read 37 times)

It's definitely not ideal. I think anyone who has done it once, hesitates to do it twice.

Unless they're stupid.

<--- did it twice. (Actually 3 times, but the 3rd time I ended up moving & DNS'd the race.)

Dave

LRB

Unless they're stupid.

<--- did it twice. (Actually 3 times, but the 3rd time I ended up moving & DNS'd the race.)

It doesn't really apply to marathoners, only the fakers and wannabes, like me.

Half Crazy K 2.0

3 on the treadmill. Foot doesn't feel any different, but didn't feel any worse running. No bones are protruding from the skin, so I'm good to go.

sdWhiskers, we have ADT and cameras. The cameras are not attached to the alarm system. We got the alarm system after our neighbor's house was broken into. We had a dog at the time, but she would sleep through anything, so she wasn't much help. If you have pets, be careful if you get a motion sensor. We got one by the front door. It's supposed to be good for pets up to 80lbs, we had a 45 lb dog. She set it off the very first day we had it--mainly because we have steps by our front door, so it made her seem larger.

GinnyinPA

I'd rather do long runs in winter than summer. All three of my marathons were in the spring. I've had some very long treadmill runs, but not as many as I would if I were attempting a September or October race.

URD for me, thanks to a bad cold that is getting worse instead of better. I'll try again tomorrow.

Half Crazy K 2.0

About spring vs fall races. I swore after Baltimore in 2013 I would never do a fall half (or longer) ever again.  That lasted 3 years, I have sworn again no way. I cannot do sustained efforts (like HM pace) in hot weather, which I need to do to run a good race. Long runs in the heat also kill me, the plan I used had all sorts of fast finish runs, all wound up the exact opposite, super slow finish. I'd rather deal with cold. And I hate being cold.

LRB

While I prefer the cold and loathe the heat, I actually don't mind fall training so much. There are no issues with trudging through snow and over ice or layering up and using hand warmers. In Michigan, you just need to be out and running before 8:00 and have a hydration plan. And it's really only August and a few days into September that suck the worst. Everything else is just summer jogging. For me anyway.

Cyberic

For those of you dealing with injuries/niggles, my PT posted this article. If you scroll down (past the "you should rest!" section) you'll see some things on when to rest, when to keep running. Maybe you guys already do a lot of these things, but there's also some good stuff in there. For your reading pleasure.

So I take it your PT is not a streaker. I'm currently in a 39 days streak, avg of about 10 miles per day. Problem is I like running. I don't want to take a rest day. Ok, my muscles would heal better if I did, but ... Ok. Ok. I know she's right. Of course she is. Maybe I could take Sunday off. I'll see.

Cyberic

Heat, cold... not always enjoyable... Just suck it up, get out and run!

Runshortii

I don’t mind running in the cold, unless it’s below 0. It’s the snow and ice and unplowed roads that drive me nuts. I guess that’s what my treadmill is for

sdWhiskers

5.3 easy miles for the first after work run that's felt halfway decent. Apparently, mountain dew with lunch is the key, lol

Weather here doesn't change much but I usually take it easier July and August, though the heat isn't bad in the morning. We're 10 degrees above normal right now. I passed several shirtless runners and it's only February!

Docket_Rocket

Got home at 8pm.  Still don't know if there will be a shutdown but since I am off tomorrow, the instructions were that I don't need to come in either way to shut down my work.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Coastal

Onemile:  Like your security system.

6.1 miles on the TM today.  Did a hard leg workout.  PT didn't write down the two new exercises and I can't really recall them.  Not sure if I did them right or not.  Planned to run tomorrow after work but it's looking iffy as I need to deal with a rat issue in my carport.  Set a trap so will have to see what happens in the morning.  Maybe I'll get lucky.

RunningWithMyDog

I use a combination security system which consists of this:

And this:

I think it's incredibly irresponsible of you to give a dog a handgun.

RunningOnSand

I think it's incredibly irresponsible of you to give only one of the a dogs a handgun.

LOl. You guys are my kind of people. Big grin And +1 to what you said, Dave.

Cyber, I don't think my PT is a streaker.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I think it's incredibly irresponsible of you to give a dog a handgun.

I'm pretty sure they're properly trained....

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours