Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Culinaria 5K (Read 31 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO and SHORT REPORT

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

My 13th race of 2015, held on March 21 at the Residences at La Cantera (www.lacanteraliving.com)  and  the Shoppes at La Cantera (www.theshopsatlacantera.com) .  #13 which is probably why it rained cats and dogs and San Antonio was under a Flood Watch on Saturday until 7 pm.  It started raining Thursday evening and had not quit by  8 a.m. race start time - although Mother Nature was kind enough to at least let it lighten up quite a bit for the time we were on the course.  64 degrees at start time - but feeling chillier with a biting wind blowing - 100% humidity, and VERY wet.   This  race is put on by Culinaria in San Antonio, a not-for-profit organization dedicated to benefiting the San Antonio community and promoting San Antonio as an ideal wine and food destination.  The Race benefits Culinaria's Hope for Hospitality umbrella of programs such as, Chefs 4 Chefs and The Urban Farm.  Because of the great after-party for this event, this is a very popular annual race in San Antonio, usually having over 1,000 participants.   This year there were 866 finishers, but I think more registered than that, and there were probably some no-shows due to the weather.   I ended up 4th in my Age Group (60-64) with a chip time of 32:08.  Guess I should not have stopped to take that last photo on course.    Naw, my stop did not matter at all...the 3rd place guy in my age group finished in 25-something; and my friend Bob, also in my age group was 2nd with 24:54.   There are some speedy old men in my town!  Guess my strategy will just have to be to outlive my competition. 

LONG REPORT WITH PHOTOS

First off, let me apologize for the quality of some of these photos.  My camera is not the best 'night-time' photo taker and also my lens in not retractable to keep it dry; so some of the photos came out a bit blurry, but you can still kinda make them outSome came out really nice.  So much for my great camera skills, lol.  Well, at least the photos are free, so just right click on any you may want to save and share.

Before the Start

With the wet weather, got up early and took a nice-and-easy drive to the start area, arriving with about an hour to go to start time.  Still raining pretty good at this point but, bless them, the Culinaria and Residence of La Cantera folks had worked out where we had a bit crowded but nice inside area for race-day packet pickup where we could all stay dry before race start.   With all the folks crowded in there it made it feel nice and warmer too.    I wandered around getting some pre-start photos.

Our inside room pre-start to get out of the rain a bit.  This was also where part of the post-race party was.   It was a little dark in here before start time.

photo 015_zpsskizqyi3.jpg

Oh yeah.... I'm a rainy day fashion statement....

photo 026_zpsvw9r6dze.jpg

My speedy friend, Bob - who got 2nd in our age group - and friend

photo 027_zpsxvmmb8br.jpg

photo 001_zpsnchkfv0t.jpg

The 3 folks below in the gray are wearing the race shirts participants got

photo 006_zpssxk7ng57.jpg

photo 009_zps75l6zjgt.jpg

AthleteGuild folks doing their computer set-up for the race results, etc.

photo 010_zps6h0qk7pz.jpg

photo 011_zpsh3ohvvfv.jpg

Three 'beautiful smiles" ladies photo 012_zps9eivyavn.jpg

photo 013_zpszigudoin.jpg

photo 014_zpscrubgofr.jpg

photo 017_zps0piqskis.jpg

Law Enforcement Officers out there for us. Thanks guys!  The officer in the yellow raincoat has had is identity protected....by my camera skills, which caught a light reflection right where he was.

photo 019_zpsmj2dq0tw.jpg

OK, there he is.....

photo 018_zps0fscq36u.jpg

This will be my first stop, post-race...

photo 020_zpszxl6xnps.jpg

photo 021_zpstxlvvnty.jpg

photo 023_zpsx4v6aith.jpg

photo 025_zpsijnkekva.jpg

At the start area...almost time to go...

photo 028_zpsju79q2z6.jpg

photo 029_zps27ftlfx6.jpg

photo 030_zpsjbdyk9uf.jpg

photo 031_zpsgmufqtpq.jpg

photo 032_zpsleifydoy.jpg

On the Course

We started in front of The Residences of La Cantera and did a loop on the drives and parking areas that go around the La Cantera Shoppes that brought us back onto part of the area where we had started and that took us to a turn that led us into part of the Shoppes area, where we finished in front of some of the stores there.   With the weather, it was VERY wet and -Splish-Splash We Were Takin' A Bath - I think we all splashed through at least 2 or 3 puddles along the way.  But it was all good.  I did not find it chilly at all as long as I kept moving; and, as said above, at least Mother Nature did not have it pouring on us during the race.   Oh, I did get rid of my garbage bag attire for the race.

This was the only small hill/incline on the course..which we had to do twice...and it gave us a view of one of the roller coasters at nearby Six Flags Fiesta Texas

photo 033_zpsinapvxyz.jpg

photo 034_zpsizxeo7jy.jpg

The rest of the course areas were pretty much flat...and WET!

photo 035_zpsilcig0tt.jpg

photo 036_zpsxsuz8yoe.jpg

photo 037_zps1tgtxqly.jpg

photo 038_zpsscwza209.jpg

photo 039_zpsvn8d0hld.jpg

photo 041_zpscybecsdz.jpg

photo 042_zpsejvby1kq.jpg

photo 044_zpssdlbejb6.jpg

After the Finish

This lady and I encouraged each other into the finish, with another lady close behind us, it was quite a little push to the finish, lol.  Both ladies finished just slightly ahead of me, and I got a photo with my "Race To The Finish" partner.

photo 047_zpss7xyarha.jpg

photo 046_zpstzbuefpu.jpg

Me and my friend, Jean, who got 2nd in her age group.  Beautiful and speedy!

photo 048_zpsahybankv.jpg

Speedy Bob and friends, who finished way before me, lol.

photo 049_zpsyqghixed.jpg

A few more "Happy Finishers" near the finish line area

photo 051_zpsv5wfcdio.jpg

Then back to the food-and-drink party at The Residences....and of course, I went right for the beer.   Besides Bud Light, there was also Corona, Modelo, Modelo Light, and other brands..

photo 058_zps8tv1kmah.jpg

Lots of other goodies there too!

photo 002_zpsipqgjbx1.jpg

photo 003_zpsnzddxxii.jpg

photo 004_zpstbqxroqu.jpg

photo 005_zpsarsf5vfn.jpg

photo 007_zpsvnzuck69.jpg

photo 065_zpsym7ppdlp.jpg

The Sausage Servers...

photo 068_zpshxrshtxo.jpg

photo 008_zpstzwno1mq.jpg

photo 073_zpskepebcni.jpg

Pancakes being served to anyone who wants them. Personally, I don't like pancakes.  I  jokingly asked one of the servers if he had any waffles, and he jokingly replied "Sure, just go to the back of all these people and get in line."  lol.

photo 081_zpsoamqj9iw.jpg

photo 079_zpszajj6u1b.jpg

And, of course, here are a few of just the many "Happy Finishers", volunteers, supporters, vendors, etc., that were out there on this rainy day.

photo 056_zpsdvq0zdwq.jpg

photo 059_zpsj19mjvfm.jpg

photo 060_zpsbx1wpott.jpg

photo 061_zpsthajc3w5.jpg

photo 062_zpsrdipnisl.jpg

photo 063_zpsssgmjc1w.jpg

photo 064_zpsvc6ofr2j.jpg

A better view of the race shirt participants got

photo 069_zpsj9hukhzx.jpg

photo 070_zpsiynrbktd.jpg

photo 071_zpskynirxcq.jpg

photo 072_zpslxa2tbi5.jpg

photo 074_zpsq7sarnnm.jpg

photo 075_zps2iqnva0x.jpg

photo 076_zpsvrvaizfn.jpg

photo 077_zpseidjls0u.jpg

photo 078_zpsjwotatnn.jpg

photo 080_zpsopf2ua7t.jpg

photo 083_zpsgsyitvnm.jpg

photo 084_zpsstgmixi6.jpg

photo 085_zpsghdcyxgt.jpg

I had a nice chat with these folks..and pretty much talked their ears off, lol, as my wife was not there to drag me away from my usual "rattling on and on..."  

photo 086_zpskorlx91a.jpg

My friend, David, from AthleteGuild, proving to owner Scott Wood he really is working... 

photo 087_zpsn4mc2beq.jpg

photo 089_zpsycq1nwwo.jpg

EPILOG

In spite of the weather,  a really nicely done event!  I did not do this event last year when the course was changed to what it was today and I was pleasantly surprised.  I like this course much better than than the old course that used to be used.  With this course, lots more 'loop" and lots less 'out-and-backs" around the La Cantera Shoppes parking lots.   Well designed course, so kudos to whomever laid this one out.   As usual, lots of great food and drink post-race, some nice medals, and very distinctive race shirts.  Mucho thanks to all the volunteers and vendors  - who had to be out there this morning for us WAY early to set up - and all the sponsors, law enforcement, etc., all the folks who make this event happen for us each year.   Special thanks to The Residence and The Shoppes at La Cantera for letting a horde of runners and walkers invade their space for a while..and a special tip-of-the-hat, to the the Shoppes stores that opened a bit earlier than usual and allowed some of we runners pre-start that needed it to have access to an ACTUAL restroom instead of a porta-potty, especially in the rainy weather...we participants really appreciated that!   As said, this race is always quite popular - so register early! - but definitely a good experience.  If you are a local area runner and have not done this one before, or a runner visiting San Antonio when this race is scheduled, it's very worth doing, I don't think you will have any regrets.  As the race flyer announces:  Run. Wine. Beer. Chefs. Fun.  Roger that! 

Next up for me:  Get Your Rear in Gear 5K on March 28th; a personal one for me as this supports colon cancer research.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

People look a lot happier after the race, beer in hand, than they did during the race.  Seems like you were in a bit if a hurry to finish too.  Nice turnout, given the weather.  Good thing they have nice wide roads to run on.

on my way to badass

That's quite a spread!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

happylily

Too bad about the rain, but it didn't prevent people from smiling a lot (except for the officers who don't look too happy to be there...). As soon as I saw the name of the race, "Culinaria", I thought "mmmmm... there will be some good after-race offerings there" Seems like I was right! It's great that the community people join forces to put up an event like this. Well done, everyone! And thanks, Scotty!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cyberic

There are some speedy old men in my town!  Guess my strategy will just have to be to outlive my competition. 

LOL! Hopefully, your strategy will work out!

LRB

Wow, there was a lot of alcohol up in that joint!

delicate flower

Bunch of troopers racing in that.  Smile  Honestly, a warm race in the rain sounds pretty damn good right about now.

<3

Zelanie

There are a ton of people who showed up to run in the rain! Do you have a waterproof camera or anything to keep it safe during wet races?

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mmmmmmm... Modelo.