Beginners and Beyond

The calm before the Saturdailies (Read 28 times)

Hip Redux

Well of course Wonder Woman is DC, and they don't have quite the track record.

In fact, almost the exact opposite lol

LRB

Well of course Wonder Woman is DC, and they don't have quite the track record.

Idiot, me. But we already knew that.

LRB

In fact, almost the exact opposite lol

They've got Dark Knight/Batman and Superman figured out, even though the latter wasn't received well, I liked it. And I think Wonder Woman was set up perfectly in BvS, another movie I liked that was panned by critics. Suicide Squad was over-hyped and could never live up to it. But yeah, the Green Lantern and second Fantastic Four bombed, badly.

Docket_Rocket

Not surprised Green Lantern and Fantastic Four bombed.  They lacked the spark the Batman/Superman ones have.  And even though they are not favorites compared to Marvel, I like them in their own way.  People just need to realize they are not similar and shouldn't be like each other.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

To remind everyone that there is about a 1-3% margin of error in Garmin measurements. 26.5 miles for a marathon is well within that and GPS is notorious for measuring long rather than short. Also I observed a rather interesting GPS phenomenon at my 50K on Saturday. It was run on a 400m track so I know within a very close tolerance where I should be getting my mile splits. For the first 6-8 miles they were close to where they should be considering I was estimating the additional 9 meters per mile. For no obvious reason at the time Garmin started measuring the miles short making the distance displayed longer than the actual distance run yet I was running the same course over and over again. My guess is that I dropped one or more satellites and picked up some new ones with the resulting mismeasurement due to that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

They've got Dark Knight/Batman and Superman figured out, even though the latter wasn't received well, I liked it. And I think Wonder Woman was set up perfectly in BvS, another movie I liked that was panned by critics. Suicide Squad was over-hyped and could never live up to it. But yeah, the Green Lantern and second Fantastic Four bombed, badly.

This one's Marvel. 

But it was one of the worst comic book movies of all time. Stan Lee in fact declined to make a cameo.

Dave

LRB

This one's Marvel. 

But it was one of the worst comic book movies of all time. Stan Lee in fact declined to make a cameo.

Geezus man!

I'll just stick to a subject I know; Nothing. lol

delicate flower

You guys can go see The Mummy.  I'll pass on that one.  I am cautiously optimistic about Wonder Woman.

I thoroughly enjoyed Guardians 2.  Well, except for the talking, chair kicking little bastard sitting behind me.

<3

Cyberic

To remind everyone that there is about a 1-3% margin of error in Garmin measurements. 26.5 miles for a marathon is well within that and GPS is notorious for measuring long rather than short. Also I observed a rather interesting GPS phenomenon at my 50K on Saturday. It was run on a 400m track so I know within a very close tolerance where I should be getting my mile splits. For the first 6-8 miles they were close to where they should be considering I was estimating the additional 9 meters per mile. For no obvious reason at the time Garmin started measuring the miles short making the distance displayed longer than the actual distance run yet I was running the same course over and over again. My guess is that I dropped one or more satellites and picked up some new ones with the resulting mismeasurement due to that.

To me, the best display of that is to start an activity in GPS mode and leave the watch by itself on a rock, on a bench or whatever. After an hour of this, if you look at the activity, it will look as if the watch kept running aimlessly around that spot where it was sitting.

That tells me that over a long distance, if you're running a straight line, these little errors add up so the watch will always measure long. My guess is there'a an algorithm to smooth the line so it is not too bad.

If on the other hand you keep turning in circle, it should count short, because the shortest line between 2 points every second is shorter than the curved line, except I think there's algorithm to smooth the curve.

Overall 26 miles, my bet is that all the little errors add up and pretty much always make the courses long.

Half Crazy K 2.0

To me, the best display of that is to start an activity in GPS mode and leave the watch by itself on a rock, on a bench or whatever. After an hour of this, if you look at the activity, it will look as if the watch kept running aimlessly around that spot where it was sitting.

That tells me that over a long distance, if you're running a straight line, these little errors add up so the watch will always measure long. My guess is there'a an algorithm to smooth the line so it is not too bad.

If on the other hand you keep turning in circle, it should count short, because the shortest line between 2 points every second is shorter than the curved line, except I think there's algorithm to smooth the curve.

Overall 26 miles, my bet is that all the little errors add up and pretty much always make the courses long.

Or forget to turn off the GPS mode when on the treadmill.

LRB

My 220 has this bad. I shot it. 

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I hear GPS often measures long.

Dave

Zelanie

I don't think it's been mentioned, but I hear GPS often measures long.

Unless you're running trails, when it often measures short.