Beginners and Beyond

Race 56 of 2017 - Alamo Beer 5K (there was also a 10K) (Read 1 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2056%20Alamo%20Beer%205K%20and%2010K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well; sorry about that.   Plus, at times post-race I forgot to wipe my sweaty lens - duhhhh - so there might be a smudge or two on some of them.     All in all, I think they came out fairly well.  I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.

BEFORE MY START

My 56th race of 2017, held on August 20th was Alamo Beer 5K/10K put on by Scallwompus and benefitting Marrow Match, a bone marrow organization. This is the first race is a series of races that gradually increase in distance, preparing those runners/walkers who are entered in the Rock n Roll San Antonio Marathon/Half Marathon/10K/5K.   Event was held at Alamo Beer Brewery near downtown San Antonio. This is a very popular annual event so, knowing it would be crowded, I arrived onsite around 7:15, a little over an hour before the 8:25 5K start.  The 10K folks started at 8:01. Got my timing chip and then wandered around taking some pre-start photos.

Play That Funky Music White Boy...

Photos of the official photographers taken by the unofficial photographer

Our MC/Announcer - Great job today, thanks

Various participants, supporters, volunteers, etc

Did I put my deodorant on today?

Yeah, I did, so I can put my arm around my friend

The human pitcher of beer

Friend, Coach, Shirt Designer, and Runner Extraordinaire Roger Soler

ON THE COURSE

The 10K people started at 8:01 and did two loops of the course.  We 5K folks started at 8:25 and did one loop.  This being August in Texas, it was very warm, already near 80 degrees when everyone got started.  We ran a couple of the streets near the brewery, then made a turn to go up the historic Hays Street bridge.  Down the bridge on the other side into a nearby neighborhood and then up the loooong hill on the course where, after getting to the top, we did an out-and-back on that road, then back down the hill and then back to the brewery to finish up.  Stupidly – and I know better too, lol, but I did it anyway – I pushed myself a bit for the first part of the course and ran up all the hills…and paid for it in the second half of the course when I had to slow down a bit.  I ended up with positive splits and a finish time of 36:52 chip time, 6th in my age group of 60 – 64.

Down this incline on Nolan Street, under the train bridge, and then up the other side

Heading toward the Hays Street Bridge

That bridge is where we will be in the next few minutes

Up the Hays Street Bridge

My friend, Anthony below me, working on his 2nd loop of the 10K

Down the other side of the bridge now; looking back at the bridge

Looking back after I just crested the long hill on the course

photo 046_zpsastc76sn.jpg

People on the left heading to the turn-around point; on the right, heading for the finish.  Up the hill and going to the finish we had the sun right in our faces...where's that darn eclipse when you need it? 

My speedy friend Anthony caught up to me, passed me, and finished before me..and he was doing the 2-loop 10K.

At the crest of the hill again, this time going down

Some of my fellow Team RWB mates volunteering at the water stop, along with my friend Nick.

After that, back to the finish...ending with positive splits.. Man, I was pooped, lol.

AFTER MY FINISH

After I crossed the finish line, I went and sat in my car for about 15 minutes, sipping my bottle of water and running the a/c to cool down.  Ahhh, felt much better after that.  Back to the finish area to enjoy my post-race cold beer and get some after photos.

Three happy finishers

A coupe of Ainsley's Angels...support group for the disabled, they push disabled in these race strollers, they are amazing, and some of them are quite speedy too...and they certainly get a workout pushing on courses like the one today that has hills.  And thank you for the socks you gave me with the "Cancer Sucks!" logo.

With my pal, Bernadette who placed Saturday in her race and placed in this one too, the very next day.

With my friend, the beautiful Gabby

Bart "The Man" Mr. Scallywompus, Race Director Tony (white hat with shades) and lovely friends

My friend, Karen, overcame some personal challenges and walked the 5K today

Yeah, where the beer is!  And cooler in here too.

Thanks, Alamo Brewery folks!

Yeah, beer!

And more....

MC doing the awards ceremony...guess it's thirsty work, lol.

Men award winners (I missed the ladies awards, was still wandering around)

My very speedy friend Bill - 20 minutes and change in the 5K - was 1st Overall Master's  Men's Division

Showing Bill some love with a man-smooch on the cheek, lol

Just before I left, encountered friends Rog and Ceci of iaap, the company that did all the timing, results, course setup, etc.  Thanks guys!

And finally...thanks Roger Soler for personalizing my race shirt for me.  When I got to the race site on the morning of the race, Roger handed me this shirt.  How nice!

Front of the shirt....

Back of the shirt....

EPILOGUE

As said, this is a very popular event benefitting a good cause, so a really good turnout.  Very nice after party too, which is the norm for Scallywompus events as their slogan is “Come for the run. Stay for the party.”  They aren’t kidding either, they have great after-parties.  As well as beer, also Kiolbassa sausages – my personal favorite sausage – and lots of vendors who were giving out stuff too.  Very nice.  Have done this one several times in the past and will definitely be doing this one again in the future.

MUCHO thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for we participants and were out there for us: Bart Childers and his Scallywompus crew; brewery owner Eugene for allowing us use of this great venue and all his staff that were there for us; all the volunteers who were out there for us before, during, and after the race and, of course; the law enforcement folks who were out there at the intersections keeping us safe; and, of course, all those sponsors/vendors, etc. for their support.  Without all of you doing what you do, there would be no events for us participants, so thank you very much for what you do!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt