Beginners and Beyond

Self-Transcendence Marathon RR (Read 120 times)

happylily

Baked ziti

That looks absolutely scrumptious!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

George, I'm sure you've said somewhere - but what is your goal for the NC24?

Is it to complete the 12 or the 24 hours with whatever distance?  Or is it to complete some set distance (you mentioned 50 miles in your RR above) regardless of the time?

My primary goal is to keep moving and still be on my feet on the course at the end of 12 hours. My absolute minimum acceptable distance for me to consider the race a success is 50K. I have that 50 mile goal as incentive to keep me out there pushing to the end. If I'm really, really close to 50 miles at the end of 12 hours, I may continue to the 50 mile distance for an unofficial time.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Philliefan33

Way to stick it out, George.  You'll be able to draw on this mental victory when the demons start whispering at NC24.

Have you talked to experienced ultra runners regarding hydration?  I'm wondering if the dizziness etc. that has hit you after the last two races is at least in part due to dehydration.  (Not surprising, given the effort and time elapsed.)  To go for twelve hours, maybe you need to be a little more proactive with the fluids earlier in the race?

Did I read the date correctly?  This was a Friday race?

George, I agree with LTH that travel - and especially travel where you run into problems like you obviously did - makes it really tough to run your best.  Given how many races I have within easy driving distance at all distances and the fact that around here you can easily find flat courses, I would never travel for a race I was looking to run my best at .... It's just too hard to travel and then run very hard on top of it.  That said, it's probably also good from a dress rehearsal to have to deal with the travel, since you have to travel for NC24... Hopefully you got all the problems with torrential rain (last trip I made was white knuckle for 4 out of 6 hours driving 20 mph under the speed limit due to torrential, blinding rain), hotels with power outages, etc. out of the way.

And illness totally can take a ton out of you.  I was sick for several months this winter, and I STILL feel a lot of residual fatigue, and it's most prominent on longer runs.  It's so prominent for me that I've just chalked this up as a recovery year; any races I have done have been for fun versus trying to run them hard.  You sound like you just had a virus and should be ok in plenty of time for September 21 ...

Looking forward to seeing you at NC24.  I'm not just saying that because you're bringing fudge, really.  Ha!

RabbitChaser

It sounds like it was a successful rehearsal for NC24 to me. It helped you to find your walking pace and narrow down your run/walk interval. Good Luck at NC24.

Eric

aplodder

Susan

Nice "dress rehearsal," George.  I'm sure it was great preparation for NC12.

delicate flower

Nice job finishing, George.  Good luck in the upcoming NC24.

<3

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I need to be willing to make adjustments as soon as it becomes apparent that they are needed and not postpone them.

Yes.  This is hugely important and can make or break a longer ultra.

I think you did great, George!  You've learned a lot already and no doubt will learn more over the course of NC24.  It's all about adapting and adjusting as you're figuring out.

Coke is amazing in the middle of a race!  You'll need to figure out your own strategy, but I like to save soda/caffeine for approx. halfway through to sort of maximize the benefits.  It's nice reward to look forward to.  e.g.  I get to have soda after I've run 30 miles!

Running is dumb.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to each individual post. Life has been frantic and I went straight to bed after getting home from work today. I do really appreciate all the encouragement and advice.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Love the Half

Sorry I haven't been able to respond to each individual post. Life has been frantic and I went straight to bed after getting home from work today. I do really appreciate all the encouragement and advice.

See?  I told you that you were tired.  Joking

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Looking forward to seeing you at NC24.  I'm not just saying that because you're bringing fudge, really.  Ha!

AhhhhaaaaaaAAAAaaaaahhh!!!!   Now, I see.  This is all about food!  I shoulda known after the first baked ziti pic!

Cool

Randy

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

See?  I told you that you were tired.  Joking

Actually I'm sick - chills and fever, headache, heavy sweating when I'm not running.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Ms Chenandler Bong

Actually I'm sick - chills and fever, headache, heavy sweating when I'm not running.

Please rest.  And drink fluids.  And rest some more.  We want you to be nice and healthy in a few weeks.

Marathon and ultra marathon runner.  Sour Patch Kid addict.

Trail Monster

Great job George! I hope I can make it out to NC24 to see you hit 50 miles! I will walk with you if you need it and yell at you to slow down!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Glad the race worked out as a confidence booster after some tougher workouts and your experience at the 6hr race.  It sounds like you're really starting to get your strategy figured out for NC 24, which is probably as important as any of the training you've done.  I've heard and seen a lot of people really go for the watermelon in ultras too - glad you liked it.  And, like your experience, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything good about Cytomax.  Congrats on your marathon!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn