Beginners and Beyond

A bit peeved at my short race today. (Read 122 times)

Nevrgivup

Was intending to do pretty well today in a 5K road race and the course came up short. By like 4 tenths short. It was renamed 2.7 miles in the official results. It was a race with a walk and run and the run had about 300 participants. I'm pretty peeved about it, but I'm happy to say that I am back in the 7's again and my overall pace was 7:47 pace. I know I could have held it for the last few tenths of the course for sure and maybe would've sped up some. I knew by looking at my Garmin at the 2.5 mile point that it was going to be short. Oh well such is life. At least I ran a good race despite the shortage. Smile Have you ever run a short course? The funny thing is, is that some runners went on to tell their friends that they ran xyz 5K and the time which was only accurate for the 2.7 mile distance.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Hip Redux

Ugh!

First 5k of this year was really only 2 miles.  Snow was covering a mile of the course!

Of course, it's "official" in Athlinks as my new 5k PR.  lol

LRB

Yep, I ran on a 2.54 mile course last year, and came in first male, second overall on a 2.9 mile course the year before!  I don't even claim the 2nd overall even though I actually did come in 2nd overall!

It is an empty, cheated feeling but you are handling it about as well as can be expected.

Now to find a certified course and clock in some more 7:00's on your way back to your pre-surgery 5k racin' times!

Trail Monster

Don't be too upset. You never know the whole story. DH and I direct a couple races and our first one was a short 5k. DH went to go mark the course and took the baby in the jogging stroller with him. She caused so much trouble he ended up missing a mark which resulted in a 3 mile course and then I put the water stop/ turn around a few feet shy of the right position and it caused it to be like 2.97 total. Lots of runners were livid but it was an honest mistake and we were just trying to raise money for charity.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Nevrgivup

Don't be too upset. You never know the whole story. DH and I direct a couple races and our first one was a short 5k. DH went to go mark the course and took the baby in the jogging stroller with him. She caused so much trouble he ended up missing a mark which resulted in a 3 mile course and then I put the water stop/ turn around a few feet shy of the right position and it caused it to be like 2.97 total. Lots of runners were livid but it was an honest mistake and we were just trying to raise money for charity.

Yeah, there were arrows on the road. Maybe one of them was misplaced or something. We all ran the same race, so I shouldn't be upset right.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My 5K last weekend measured 3.03 on my Garmin Sad. But it's not THAT far off and I do know I lost signal twice while running under the Brooklyn Bridge, and my friend's Nike+ didnt measure short so who knows...I wanted sub 30 and my time was 28:30 so even with another 30 seconds of running I'd have had my goal so I'm not too upset, just need to work a tiny bit harder to PR... 2.7 is REALLY short though!! Sorry Sad that's frustrating

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've run quite a few, one in particular where they change the course almost every year is always long or short. I run it even knowing that because I have some long term personal ties to the race. Flooding caused one race to be rerouted and short. That one was tough to take because I would have been right on the cusp for running sub-20:00.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I ran a 5k last weekend that was only 2.8 miles.  Thankfully, I was only running it to practice my half marathon pace up the hills.  And....thankfully it was short because I was TIRED!  Smile

Mmmmm...beer

I ran a Drumstick Dash 5k on Thanksgiving that was 2.8 miles, definitely frustrating.  They're promising a certified course this year.  Nice job on the 7mm pace tho! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

I've run one that's too long, but never too short.  That was way short, too!  Very frustrating.  But at least you have a pace that you know you can run for your next one!  And since everyone ran the same course, at least placing should be accurate.

Rubybaby43

enabler

Was intending to do pretty well today in a 5K road race and the course came up short. By like 4 tenths short. It was renamed 2.7 miles in the official results. It was a race with a walk and run and the run had about 300 participants. I'm pretty peeved about it, but I'm happy to say that I am back in the 7's again and my overall pace was 7:47 pace. I know I could have held it for the last few tenths of the course for sure and maybe would've sped up some. I knew by looking at my Garmin at the 2.5 mile point that it was going to be short. Oh well such is life. At least I ran a good race despite the shortage. Smile Have you ever run a short course? The funny thing is, is that some runners went on to tell their friends that they ran xyz 5K and the time which was only accurate for the 2.7 mile distance.

Oh poo!  That IS considerably short.  But woohoo for the nice pace!!  I'll aim for a pace like that one day!

KLO

more miles = more beer

B-Plus

Instant 2.7 mile PR! Sorry, that is such a huge discrepancy and to my knowledge I've never had that happen.

Yes. According to my Garmin, my first 5K this past Thanksgiving was 2.92 miles. Other participants also commented that it was short.

It was annoying:/

Love the Half

Especially in local races, I sort of expect them to be off by 0.1 or so.  That's just par for the course.  OTOH, 0.4 short is a bunch.  What I have learned to focus on is how I ran rather than the specific distance.  I run a Turkey Trot that has the finish line less than 50 yards from the 3 mile mark and that's obviously short but it's on a tough course and if I run well, then I'm happy.  If you really, really, really care about your time, pick a flat course that's certified or that at least has the reputation of being accurately measured because it's been run for over 5 years.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

CeeDotA

As others have noted, it happens -- particularly in smaller, local races. I ran a 5K in December that was 2.9mi, and recorded a 24:40. I mean, I'd like to think I can run a sub-25 5K! Not much you can do. On to the next one!

Current PRs:

5K: 27:06 (11/10/12) | 5M: 44:03 (6/1/13) | 10K: 1:00:48 (7/4/12)

15K: 1:27:53 (3/17/13) | 10M: 1:30:25 (4/13/13) | HM: 1:59:55 (4/28/13)

Next race: Ashland 4th of July 10K