Beginners and Beyond

We Run/Ride On Sundailies, Too. (Read 35 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I find 5k races are useful for helping me set a pace for the speed work in various distance training programs.  However, I'll only run races in town or in a neighboring town.  No point driving longer to a 5k than it takes to run one.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Spring Distance Classic 5k, 3/24; RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6

Docket_Rocket

Ran my 14 on the TM and ended up with 46.35 for my cutback week.  Just got my coach's email for next week.  Afraid to open it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Oh, but this complicates matters.  Apparently I'm supposed to positive split, so if I'm supposed to do that anyway, I can go out stupid fast, right?!  (Seriously, I'm torn between being relatively sensible and just going for something ridiculous.  Then again, I'm not sure what would be ridiculous, and what I think is sensible may actually be ridiculous, so...)

That is pretty interesting. Their conclusion is that you should go out fast and bank time. Flying in the face of marathoning advice from time immemorial. Not sure I would personally feel comfortable doing that.

Dave

onemile

That is pretty interesting. Their conclusion is that you should go out fast and bank time. Flying in the face of marathoning advice from time immemorial. Not sure I would personally feel comfortable doing that.

The hills are in the second half.  The first half is downhill/flat. So you should naturally positive split.  But if you go out too fast, you will hugely positive split. To negative split a course profile like Boston would mean you were able to speed up despite the hills, which means you likely could have gone faster in the first half.

From the Internet.

Yo runners.

Amazing how long my shoes last now.  

Lol that is a plus for me right now too! I even found a brand new backup pair in my closet this afternoon that I had completely forgotten about buying!

From the Internet.

Jogged 2, lifted at the gym while my daughter had gymnastics, then RODE A BIKE for the first time in a good 15+ years!  Test-rode two entry-level road bikes, going back to buy the one I liked best tomorrow.

bluerun

Super B****

I’m just going to use it as my excuse if I end up going out too fast. “Paced it based on science!!”

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Doesn't Pfitzinger recommend a mild positive split of 1-2 minutes as the optimum for pacing marathons?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Jogged 2, lifted at the gym while my daughter had gymnastics, then RODE A BIKE for the first time in a good 15+ years!  Test-rode two entry-level road bikes, going back to buy the one I liked best tomorrow.

And down the rabbit hole she goes.

Runner with a riding problem.