Beginners and Beyond

What's Up Weekend Penguins? (Read 8 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

It's much cooler this weekend, so we're going to the woods for a hike this afternoon. Poor Ben has so much hair, we can't do a lot of hiking when it's hot unless there's water to play in, but the creeks are mostly dry after a summer of drought. The local trail runners have opened up a new connector trail to create a HM route, so we'll check that out.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  I went to a party last night, and we ran up this:

Doesn't look too bad until you look at the scale on the left.  I think I'm counting that as my LR, since I had the time on my feet, and my MP run, since I had the sustained time at MP HR, plus some.  It was fun- there's a group that runs up there somewhat frequently, but it was my first time.  Also, running down in the dark with a bit of rain was sort of scary!

Ginny- A new trail sounds exciting!  Hope you get some water in the streams soon.  Our dogs pretty much run from water source to water source when we're out.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

It's much cooler this weekend, so we're going to the woods for a hike this afternoon. Poor Ben has so much hair, we can't do a lot of hiking when it's hot unless there's water to play in, but the creeks are mostly dry after a summer of drought. The local trail runners have opened up a new connector trail to create a HM route, so we'll check that out.

A 3 mile extension of our North Branch forest preserve trail just opened this week.  It actually goes south into the city, so we are looking forward to giving it a run this week.  It's still about 6 miles from us, so it would be a record 18 mile run for us, but we that might be a bit much as we have 2 HM's in the next month.   Maybe will drive there.

PADRunner

Hey guys.  I went to a party last night, and we ran up this:

Doesn't look too bad until you look at the scale on the left.  I think I'm counting that as my LR, since I had the time on my feet, and my MP run, since I had the sustained time at MP HR, plus some.  It was fun- there's a group that runs up there somewhat frequently, but it was my first time.  Also, running down in the dark with a bit of rain was sort of scary!

Ginny- A new trail sounds exciting!  Hope you get some water in the streams soon.  Our dogs pretty much run from water source to water source when we're out.

It's all about perspective.

I met my cousin for a 5k this morning, we both got 1st AG and my unofficial time of 29:54 3rd sub 30 time so I'll take it.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon! I had Barre class this morning and 8 miles tonight.

That is hilly, Z.

GInny, sounds like fun.  I wish we had trails.  I mean, for the 2 months of non-summer, but still.  LOL.

THis one is not too bad and I will not run that shit.  Medio Maraton San Blas in PR:

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Yikes! 10-15K in a half is always the toughest  part of the race even on a good course.

PAD, I hear you. But it was a lot of elevation for me. It was hilly enough that we could keep up with the bikes on the way up. The others are all more seasoned trail runners.

PADRunner

Yikes! 10-15K in a half is always the toughest  part of the race even on a good course.

PAD, I hear you. But it was a lot of elevation for me. It was hilly enough that we could keep up with the bikes on the way up. The others are all more seasoned trail runners.

Yea, I hate hills too Smile that graph just blows me away, looking at Boston in the bottom, crazy.

GinnyinPA

I've hiked on part of the Leadville 100 course and it would be impossible for me to run, even broken up into smaller chunks.  Adding altitude to huge climbs, no thanks.  I met people who have done it though. I didn't realize that Western States was a net down.  Still impossible though.

Melanie - 3700' is a lot of climbing. There must be a lot of short up and down.  I'm not sure I'd want to be doing trails in the dark, but it's good training, since so many ultras end up being run at least partly in the dark.

PAD - congratulations on the AG wins. Especially in the heat.

Jerry - maybe drive halfway there?

D - there are a lot of nice trails in Florida, but you'd have to drive a bit to get to them.  Check out the state parks. I've done a lot of running on trails in Florida. They also have a lot of paved bike trails.

Our hike ended up getting cut short.  It turns out they've put ribbons in the trees, but have not actually cleared the course in any way. It's just a bushwhack up and down the mountain.   We got about half a mile in to the first creek crossing and Jim said no. We still walked 4.5 miles at the Park so everybody was happy.

Zelanie

I don't know how they got 3700. It felt like slow, steady climb and then a terrifying descent with a few spots where it flattens out a bit.

Most of the run was on logging roads, which is what makes it popular choice for night runs because it's really not technical at all,  but you're still in the forest.

Docket_Rocket

And cuesta means hill, but really, it should be called Mountain ajuguillo.  This area is super hilly (as is Puerto Rico in general), but still the Kenyans tend to win close to an hour or 1:10. 

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I've hiked on part of the Leadville 100 course and it would be impossible for me to run, even broken up into smaller chunks.  Adding altitude to huge climbs, no thanks.  I met people who have done it though. I didn't realize that Western States was a net down.  Still impossible though.

Melanie - 3700' is a lot of climbing. There must be a lot of short up and down.  I'm not sure I'd want to be doing trails in the dark, but it's good training, since so many ultras end up being run at least partly in the dark.

PAD - congratulations on the AG wins. Especially in the heat.

Jerry - maybe drive halfway there?

D - there are a lot of nice trails in Florida, but you'd have to drive a bit to get to them.  Check out the state parks. I've done a lot of running on trails in Florida. They also have a lot of paved bike trails.

Our hike ended up getting cut short.  It turns out they've put ribbons in the trees, but have not actually cleared the course in any way. It's just a bushwhack up and down the mountain.   We got about half a mile in to the first creek crossing and Jim said no. We still walked 4.5 miles at the Park so everybody was happy.

The closest state part we have here is in Broward, at least 35 miles away, 1 hour with traffic.  The problem is they only open from 8am to 5pm, so out of the realm of either weekdays or 9 months of the year since it's 100F by 6am and during the weekdays the 1 hour is more like 2 hours commute.  I've done the Broward one but it's too far for me to even go there often.  Miami really does not have state parks.  Central Florida does (but that's 2-4hours away).  Not normally doable.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Woke up with a cold today, but after a while I started feeling better, so I went out and ran.  I ran slowly, but it was still really nice to be outside.  It's over 80 degrees again today, a bit hot for running, but at this point we enjoy that while it lasts.  Then I got home and there were fresh baked cookies coming out of the oven.

GinnyinPA

Z -that's a nice homecoming!  I hope you feel better.

We had a gorgeous day, 70 and sunny with clear skies (no haze). I decided I needed hills, so drove to our HM course and ran the short version for 12 miles.  I'm still struggling with my long runs, but I'm glad I did it. I have a feeling my October HM is going to be a PW, but at least there will be beer afterwards to compensate.