Beginners and Beyond

Is Running like Golf? (Read 132 times)

delicate flower

Other than that, sure, they're exactly alike.

They both fly, both wear red, and both have a beard.

<3

GC100k

I have golfed and I have run and I have a hard time thinking of two sports that are more dissimilar.  imo, running is nothing like golf.

My dad liked to tell this joke:

Q: "What did Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy have in common?"

A: "With the exception of Kennedy, they both had beards."

Hip Redux

This is 15 too many responses on a thread about golf.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Any sport where a fat crankhead like John Daly is winning championships most definitely does not require athleticism. At the very top levels, it might give you an edge, but it ain't a requirement.

On that front, when's the last time you saw a 240 lb beer-swilling chain smoker in the lead pack of a major marathon?

When is the last time Daly won anything? The game has changed. Even if you go to the muni, it's not the out of shape guys that are out there breaking 80. It's people that have a natural athetic inclination. But yes, there are very few body types that work for running, I'll give you that.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Nightcrawler-

You may be right

This is 15 too many responses on a thread about golf.

This just made me lol.   Smile

Don't believe everything you think. 

flarunner

When is the last time Daly won anything? The game has changed. Even if you go to the muni, it's not the out of shape guys that are out there breaking 80. It's people that have a natural athetic inclination. But yes, there are very few body types that work for running, I'll give you that.

You need to come to the courses down here. Of course, at this time of year it's all you people from up there, but still...

paulski66

miscreant

Orly? People at the "muni" down the street from me here have trouble seeing the golf course over their guts. Watching me run by the course may be the most exercise they've had in years...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

happylily

While I get what the OP is saying, I also have another opinion of golf. I can't say whether golf is only a game of skills as opposed to a real athletic activity, because I've never played. But it seems to me that although someone athletic might make a better golfer, I don't see how golf can make a better athlete (as in very physically fit) out of someone...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

it seems to me that although someone athletic might make a better golfer, I don't see how golf can make a better athlete (as in very physically fit) out of someone...

Definitely true. If you're a pro it helps to be fit, but for the average weekend golfer who drives a cart straight to his ball, fitness plays basically no role. I love to play tennis, and even though fitness does play a role, tennis itself won't make you fit, unless you're playing singles at a very high intensity for hours a day, in which case the risk of injury is very high. So I get in shape to play tennis, not the other way around.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Golf is better.  You don't risk spilling your beer or have it foam up on you when you open it with golf.

Something witty

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Orly? People at the "muni" down the street from me here have trouble seeing the golf course over their guts. Watching me run by the course may be the most exercise they've had in years...

That's all fine and well, but there are both runners and golfers that partake merely for the social aspect of the activity. Is the lady that ran a 5+ hour half and broke the massage table any more athletic than the drinkers that go to the golf course? To do either sport well, you need athleticism. By just pointing out the fat guys that don't play well, aren't you indirectly saying that it does take athleticism to really golf? The guys that you're mentioning are no more golfers than the people that sprint 5 minutes on a gym TM are runners.

paulski66

miscreant

Orly?

So fat white guys who can't see the ball over their gut but golf 3 times/week aren't golfers?

Hurm...interesting.

One of the consultants we use at my company is a very solid local-area golfer. Used to play competitively in college, still shoots 2-3 rounds/week Spring, Summer, and Fall, has a really low handicap...and is so obese he's breathing heavy by after climbing one flight of stairs in our building. I'm pretty sure that, sans golf cart, he wouldn't make it through a single round.

I always thought he was a big ol' fat golfer. But I guess now I know he's not a golfer at all. Awesome...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Why do you keep saying ORLY?

Pointing out a talented "clydesdale" golfer seems no different than pointing out a talented clydesdale runner, but I'm happy to agree to disagree.

yeoldefatguy

Both are boring as fuck to watch, and only slightly more interesting to do.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

Something witty