Beginners and Beyond

High Five Penguin Thursdailies! (Read 21 times)

Brilliant

Jack, your daughters sound like such lovely girls!

Lauren, way to go!

Ginny, hope your lawn mowing goes well.

HopesMom, enjoy your busy day.

AFM - Lots of gusts out there today and it was so DRY and I haven't found the water sources in my new town yet.  So I ran almost 8 miles without water and was pretty parched.  I will have to figure this out.   At my last house, I knew where all the water fountains were and could plan a long run of 15 miles or so without having to carry water, and never going more than 2.5 miles between water stops!

MTA:  I watched "Desert Runners" on Netflix last night, which alternately inspired and repelled me.  So on this morning's water-less run I was picturing myself in the Gobi desert. Big grin

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - go online and see if you can find some bike routes or bike trails.  They might go through parks that will have water. Or look up your county parks.

I have to carry water where I live.  The three municipal/county parks lock the bathrooms in winter and turn off the water.  I don't know if they've turned it on yet.  And since the nearest one is only a mile from my house, it doesn't do me much good when the water is on because I pass it so soon on my runs.  Running rural roads and through suburbs my only chance of water is if someone is washing a car, and so far I haven't wanted to ask yet. In town I'll stop at the library sometimes, but they have weird hours.  I'll carry water for anything over an hour.

Brilliant

Brilliant - go online and see if you can find some bike routes or bike trails.  They might go through parks that will have water. Or look up your county parks.

I have to carry water where I live.  The three municipal/county parks lock the bathrooms in winter and turn off the water.  I don't know if they've turned it on yet.  And since the nearest one is only a mile from my house, it doesn't do me much good when the water is on because I pass it so soon on my runs.  Running rural roads and through suburbs my only chance of water is if someone is washing a car, and so far I haven't wanted to ask yet. In town I'll stop at the library sometimes, but they have weird hours.  I'll carry water for anything over an hour.

I ran by at least 1 park today but was distracted right then and forgot to check it out for bathroom/water.  

Near my last house there was a hospital with an outpatient building with nice bathrooms/water, and a college with a track and bathrooms/water, and multiple parks and trails with water and bathrooms.  I know SOME of this has to exist in my new city; I just need to figure out where.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Busy at work today as a blind cat trying to catch running mice!  Lots of short notice projects today for some reason, sheesh.

Nice run/walk yesterday after work in the town of Schertz (pronounced "shirts").  It's a military town with lots of Air Force retirees and active duty assigned to Randolph Air Force Base - which is right down from the town - living there.  Since it is Air Force base associated, most of the streets are named for aviators, lol, both military and civilian - there is Charles Lindbergh Street, Curtis LeMay Street, and so forth.   I started from the YMCA in Schertz and made a nice 3.3 mile loop through the town, coming back to the Y.  Very nice place to run..wide streets, very little traffic in most of the neighborhoods, lots of big shade trees along the way, open parks and buildings to get water or use the facilities if needed.  Temp was about 82 degrees and it was a little humid as dark clouds were starting to move into the area, but I felt pretty good the whole way.  Guess I am getting my warm-weather acclimatization back.

Plan on running about 4 miles today.  I KNEW I should have run this morning but I decided to take a chance the developing storms would hold off until after I finished.  Well, I've got an hour left at work and I see dark clouds out my window now and can hear thunder, darn the luck!  So instead of my planned park today, I may just run around the campus so I can quickly duck into one of the buildings if there is any lightning.

April 16 Holidays

High Five Day - as noted in the thread title

Save the Elephant Day - Oops, I forgot....

National Wear Your Pajamas To Work Day

National Eggs Benedict Day and Day of the Mushroom

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

I just bough a 20oz. handheld and some Ultima powder so I cam drink constantly on my run if I want. We do have water fountains every couple of miles, they finally turned them on over spring break.

HsM - That PT sounds so helpful! I wonder if McConnell taping would help on your walks if it's the same thing?

Jack- DH says San Luis Obispo is awesome. He had wanted DD to look at the school there, but it wasn't a good fit.

Planning a MP run with my RP. Probably 11 with 9@ MP.

Brilliant

I just bough a 20oz. handheld and some Ultima powder so I cam drink constantly on my run if I want. We do have water fountains every couple of miles, they finally turned them on over spring break.

Planning a MP run with my RP. Probably 11 with 9@ MP.

I have a 20 oz handheld, too, which is preferable to the belt, but still I'd rather not carry anything.  I just wanna be free!

You don't have a marathon coming up, do you?  Is the MP run just part of your fun running/stay in shape right now?

hog4life

RD from running, getting ready for my last night shift. FedEx brought 3 race chairs today, we're just two weeks away from my first race as ambassador for Ainsley's Angels.

Traci, were you planning to do the Steeplechase with us?

Robert31320

Team TJ

Congrats on the delivery, Mitch!

RD for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Zelanie

No marathons for me until fall at the earliest. But my friend is training for some, and it seems like a good way to get some quality work in.

PADRunner

I have a 20 oz handheld, too, which is preferable to the belt, but still I'd rather not carry anything.  I just wanna be free!

You don't have a marathon coming up, do you?  Is the MP run just part of your fun running/stay in shape right now?

When I was training through the winter the water was turned off at my parks to. I and put out water bottles along my route.

Ginny - no hill training since last year.

Brilliant & Ginny - Still have a (productive) cough but feeling much better. Head is congested, but I sound worse than I feel. Now my DH is getting hit with it.

Picked up my race packet tonight and drove what I could of the course. It is mostly flat - yipee! Looking forward to running with a pacer. Still hanging onto an ambitious goal of sub 2:30, which is a 11:26 pace. Plan B is to drop to 2:35 with a 11:49 pace. If I actually "race" this and don't just run the distance, it's possible. Plan C - PR with 2:38.

Wrapping up the night. Catch you all tomorrow. Enjoyed hearing about your days. Smile

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K