Beginners and Beyond

Why Isn't There a Tuesday Thread, Penguins???? (Read 34 times)

Docket_Rocket

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) Big grin

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 9 miles with some HMP intervals.  The workout looks like fun.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Morning!  I had a sleep attack last night, so will have to run when I get home today.  It's curriculum night at school, so that means another late one.

Good luck on your workout, D!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi D and Z!  It's Tuesday, so you know that Daniels is going to kick my butt this evening :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, y'all!  I bailed on running last night in favor of less knee pain, so we definitely need to get out tonight.  Our cat, Kaycee, isn't doing very well, though.  She didn't eat either breakfast or dinner yesterday, and she didn't eat breakfast this morning (she has an overactive thyroid, so not eating is really weird).  She looks incredibly unhappy, and although she usually hangs out upstairs, she didn't climb the stairs yesterday and instead spent all day downstairs.  She's not bitching at Dusty and Chewie the way she usually does, and barely purrs when petted.  DH is taking her to the vet today, but at 15 years old, I'm kinda prepping myself for bad news.  

Docket -- good morning, and good luck with tonight's run!

Zelanie -- good luck with your late run!

Awood -- have fun getting your butt kicked!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning, y'all!  I bailed on running last night in favor of less knee pain, so we definitely need to get out tonight.  Our cat, Kaycee, isn't doing very well, though.  She didn't eat either breakfast or dinner yesterday, and she didn't eat breakfast this morning (she has an overactive thyroid, so not eating is really weird).  She looks incredibly unhappy, and although she usually hangs out upstairs, she didn't climb the stairs yesterday and instead spent all day downstairs.  She's not bitching at Dusty and Chewie the way she usually does, and barely purrs when petted.  DH is taking her to the vet today, but at 15 years old, I'm kinda prepping myself for bad news.  

Docket -- good morning, and good luck with tonight's run!

Zelanie -- good luck with your late run!

Awood -- have fun getting your butt kicked!

Awww, Poor Kaycee.  Lily was like that when she got seriously ill.  Wishing you great news from the vet.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Dad on the run.

Hey all

D - have fun with the 9

Awood - good luck with daniels

Z - Enjoy your run tonight!

Hope - sorry to hear about the cat

AFM - another 3.5 planned for tonight, leg's really starting to feel alot better, now its a little muscle fatigue. Its been so long since I've really ran consistently so my quads are not happy with me.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

Awood: you like getting your butt kicked by Daniels!

Tonight DD starts two hour training in the pool, so while she does that I will be off on a 10 mile tempo run with 5 @ 7:20 pace. Now the swimming DD is getting into running and she has an XC meet on Sunday.  Lol...

Hi everyone and have a good day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Here is a picture of older DD from her meet last Saturday. It came from a website on XC. I hope I did this correctly because its a cool shot.

Docket_Rocket

Nice pic!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

WOW !!

she looks like a PRO!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Mmmmm...beer

Hey everyone!

8 miles done this morning in wonderful fall like weather.  I actually got a lil chilly waiting for my Garmin to sync up, but once I started running, it was just perfectly comfortable.

HM, sorry to hear about Kaycee.  Our Pekingese is 12 years old and probably won't be with us too much longer, always sad to see.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Mmmmm...beer

Great pic Jack!  She's very focused.  How'd she do?

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, got to work at the university and our whole network was down, so we could not do any work.  So my boss told me to go the the gym for an hour or so and get my run in and come back.  I was planning on running after work today, but who am I to argue with the boss?   So got a rare morning run in when it was actually light out.  And since school is in full session, I got to see lots of Great Legs as I did the Diploma Dash 5K route around the campus, nice! Big grin

I also got tagged by a car!  It was not that big of a deal, though.  I was in one of the on-campus crosswalks and this car still kept coming at me, so I hightailed it the rest of the way across, but the car's bumper edge just barely clipped the back of my right foot, which made me spin around a time or two and then I fell down, luckily onto a grassy area on the other side of the road.  I really was not injured at all, just have a slight bruise on my heel now and a slight scrape on one elbow.  Good thing the speed limit on campus on that area is only 10 mph.  Right after I fell I heard a siren.  Turned out there was a campus police officer in the adjacent parking lot doing speed checks and he had seen the whole thing. He stopped the car and it turned out it was some student, about 20 or so, and he had been texting while driving, probably why he didn't see me - and was STILL texting when the cop stopped him, he still had his phone in his hand when the cop went up to the car.  Smart kid.  Roll eyes  So he got a ticket and a good chewing out by the officer, and my lose his campus driving privileges, as it is not only a state and city violation to text and drive, but also against university policy.  The cop offered to take me to the school health clinic to get checked, but I was okay - heck, I got hurt worse than this the time I ran into that police horse's butt - and I even ran my last half-mile back to the gym with no problems at all, no limping, etc.  Will see how I feel tomorrow, though, lol, sometimes the soreness can be 'delayed" for a bit, as I well know from past experience with DOMS.  Anyway, everything's cool, it could have been a lot worse.

As for today...It's September 17th, Constitution Day.   On this day in history in 1787, the US Constitution was signed in Philadelphia by the Constitutional Convention delegates. It was ratified by all the states a year or so later, in 1788.

And today's holidays are.....

Apple Dumpling Day (yuk!)

Citizenship Day

"Time's Up!" Day

KEYWORD1  2010-07-30  boy scout  boy scouts  scout  scouts  good will  help  helped  helping

dumpling cartoons, dumpling cartoon, dumpling picture, dumpling pictures, dumpling image, dumpling images, dumpling illustration, dumpling illustrations

KEYWORD1  1995-07-04  graffiti  john hancock  hancock  founding father  founding fathers  signature

KEYWORD1  2010-02-15  president’s day  holiday  holidays  presidentâ€&

constitution cartoons, constitution cartoon, constitution picture, constitution pictures, constitution image, constitution images, constitution illustration, constitution illustrations

constitution cartoons, constitution cartoon, constitution picture, constitution pictures, constitution image, constitution images, constitution illustration, constitution illustrations

KEYWORD1  2010-03-14  science fiction  sci fi  vampire  vampires  dracula  daylight  daylight saving

KEYWORD1  2005-04-03  beauty  beast  beauty and the beast  candle  candles  candlestick  lumiere  co

wasting time cartoons, wasting time cartoon, wasting time picture, wasting time pictures, wasting time image, wasting time images, wasting time illustration, wasting time illustrations

bed-time cartoons, bed-time cartoon, bed-time picture, bed-time pictures, bed-time image, bed-time images, bed-time illustration, bed-time illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

HsM - That is by far the hardest part about being a pet owner.  When they get sick or old, you just feel a bit helpless.  I hope its just something simple, and she bounces back quickly.

jblackjr - Good luck getting back to consistent running.  I know you can do it, but it can be tough at first.

Jack - Your daughter looks like a runner.  With all of the swimming, is she thinking triathlon yet?  I saw your discussion on the long run, and I have to agree with LRB.  Running more often really has decreased my recovery time.  That's not to say that I'd adjust your schedule in the middle of a training plan, but its definitely something to think about in the future.

Hi Traci!

Dave - Great job on the 8.  I don't have enough daylight in the morning to run more than 4 or 5 before work.

Scotty - You have the craziest things happen, and you always talk about them like it was just another day.  I hope that kid learned their lesson, but for some reason I doubt it.  I almost wish he would have been charged with a hit and run.  Be safe out there.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013