Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Hero Fest 5K/10K for Firefighter Cancer Fund (Read 16 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2053%20Hero%20Fest%205K

BEFORE THE START

My 53rd race of 2016.  Held in San Antonio on October 9.  100% of funds raised went to support firefighters with cancer, through the San Antonio Firefighters Cancer Fund.  There was both a 5K and a 10K.   I arrived with about 45 minutes to go to the 8:30 start time and wandered around getting some photos.

C'est moi!  Always trying to be color-coordinated, lol.  My mid-life crisis thing.    As I tell my wife, hey, be happy, it's better than a blonde and a motorcycle.  

photo 021_zpsezeyaibv.jpg

Me and my 'stalker", Karen.  She follows me around from race to race.  Wink   She's done quite a few event herself this year, over 35 already.

photo 012_zpskqqtwqx3.jpg

photo 013_zpsnudbkoxr.jpg

Various volunteers, participants, supporters, etc.

photo 001_zpszvsb8z4b.jpg

photo 006_zpslsmort5e.jpg

photo 007_zpstxxqlkah.jpg

photo 008_zpscvrbxrrw.jpg

photo 009_zpsolubhars.jpg

photo 010_zps9pxpqb7w.jpg

photo 011_zpsuxvnhlhw.jpg

photo 014_zpsfpnml7pk.jpg

photo 016_zpsyjgyx0re.jpg

photo 017_zpsz18kt79t.jpg

photo 018_zpsosbula9s.jpg

photo 019_zpsvhft38ny.jpg

photo 022_zpsp5bduzww.jpg

photo 025_zpsh3hezwqy.jpg

photo 026_zps0yudwo7w.jpg

photo 027_zpsqzhndqhf.jpg

photo 028_zpsypqipflc.jpg

photo 031_zpsjsg26ivk.jpg

Our INIMITABLE MC, Mark Purnell, who always does a great job.

photo 023_zpsnjcwswva.jpg

photo 024_zpsd0u64nfu.jpg

My friends, Adrian and Darlene, supporting the cause and also advertising their upcoming race, the original Santa Claus 5K in San Antonio - GREAT event, by the way, with a super after-party at Sunset Station. Their foundation also supports the fight against cancer.

photo 002_zpshgrtwuy0.jpg

Several firefighter cadets were there to participate.  On the course, I jokingly told a few of them I might need a 'firefighter carry" for the last 1/2 mile or so.

photo 003_zpskjaimuht.jpg

One of those 'speedy old guys' in my age group who beat me in and placed in my age group.

photo 004_zpsr0dovapa.jpg

My friends Neil and Tina, wearing the nice tech tee race shirt that all participants got

photo 005_zpscetye2ak.jpg

Getting ready to start.

photo 029_zpsnc8admos.jpg

photo 030_zpsibnbi5xu.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Race venue was paved trails in Comanche Park in San Antonio. GREAT course, well thought out.  I love doing events at Comanche Park, much nicer venue than a park like Lady Bird Johnson Park - a nice place to run, but not nearly as nice as Comanche, which has lots of parking for everyone, can accommodate many more participants, has actual inside restroom facilities, several water fountains, and a huge pavilion that can hold many more people. Lots more selection of trails for running routes too, so whomever decided this was the venue for this inaugural event made a very wise and great choice. I wish more Race Directors who use Lady Bird Johnson Park for their events would opt for this one instead when they can get it reserved, much more 'participant-friendly" venue.

This guy in full gear was from the Sheriff's department and did the whole race like that.

photo 032_zpsvhomis2f.jpg

photo 033_zps59qani1e.jpg

photo 034_zpsmto1ljih.jpg

photo 036_zpsnpwhh4i6.jpg

photo 037_zpsz5sgoi8h.jpg

photo 038_zpsekndxnu4.jpg

photo 039_zpslyrqngv2.jpg

photo 040_zpsg2qshswm.jpg

photo 041_zpsisyo94cm.jpg

photo 042_zps6tmzmtg7.jpg

photo 043_zpsxn8qwfop.jpg

here comes my ride for the last mile...

photo 044_zpsqk1gj7rg.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

With about 1/4 mile to go I picked up with a gentleman to my right and we went right to the finish line stride-for-stride, crossing over in just about a dead tie...I think he was a tad ahead of me by just about only 1 step or two.   I ended up with a finish time of 33:08 chip, 6th in my 60 - 69 age group.  There are some speedy old guys in my age group, lol, the top 3 all finished in the 20s.  My strategy is to outlive them.   After doing a bit of a cooldown walk and getting some water in me, I was off to 'Out-and-About-Land"  to take some post-finish photos.

Me and my 'running partner' to the finish line.

photo 045_zps3pndysaw.jpg

photo 046_zpsfexwn4cv.jpg

photo 047_zpsvjvhiiat.jpg

photo 050_zpsjtu1nhux.jpg

photo 051_zpssedlklx1.jpg

photo 052_zpscxd960uo.jpg

photo 053_zpsbnljvc5b.jpg

Very popular volunteers..they were serving the beer

photo 054_zpsxzwmhrf4.jpg

Me and friend, Jessica, whose teenage son is currently battling cancer.  Prayers and good thoughts please.

photo 055_zpsmiq33jec.jpg

photo 056_zpsymtdgzja.jpg

photo 057_zpsivxlosgq.jpg

photo 058_zpsqts9jvt4.jpg

They are lovin' their McCafe coffee....

photo 059_zpstxoju33e.jpg

..I'm lovin' my beer....

photo 061_zpsuwxnfwnk.jpg

photo 063_zpsscing1ai.jpg

photo 062_zpsxvkq5was.jpg

photo 064_zpsg6bxqmkz.jpg

photo 065_zpsvfktbpde.jpg

photo 074_zpsmeha6cdh.jpg

Mother and daughter....really? I thought they were sisters.. 

photo 079_zps8zgryebd.jpg

After I gave them treats...these doggies loved me, lol.

photo 066_zpsokzk5bwi.jpg

Our MC "Super Mark" with Superman

photo 085_zpsj5dy1qqr.jpg

As a member of the "Old Guy Club"...we old guys know how to make ourselves look good...stand next to a pretty lady.

photo 068_zpsxwwibs5e.jpg

photo 069_zpsgpfnensv.jpg

photo 072_zpsuj2bxk9o.jpg

Awards....

These firefighter hats - which were actually worn in the field by firefighters - were the very unique awards for all the 'overall" winners, e.g., overall first male/female, first master's male/female, etc.   The age group award ribbon colors were based on firefighter rank - white for 3rd, representing firefighter rank;  yellow was first, representing officer rank; and the 2nd place red AG ribbon colors...dang...went right out of my head, I forget....anyway, pretty unique way to do it, nice touch and appropriate for this event.   All finishers got a finisher medal with a purple ribbon.

photo 073_zps68gulvm8.jpg

photo 075_zpszawykcez.jpg

photo 077_zpsff4pbbp0.jpg

photo 078_zpsho9rc0o9.jpg

photo 080_zps8sv2hqvw.jpg

photo 081_zpsgtgmhewc.jpg

photo 082_zpstvu4gcdw.jpg

photo 083_zpspktlfs8g.jpg

Quit biting that medal....the firefighters might have to turn the hose on that guy...

photo 084_zpsmd75stlo.jpg

photo 086_zps67dwlue0.jpg

photo 087_zpsc7a2lweq.jpg

And in finale for the photos....a closeup of the very nice medal that all finishers got..

photo 089_zpsdqnraqy5.jpg

EPILOGUE

One of THE BEST events I have ever done in San Antonio.  Really well done for an inaugural even, big kudos to the organizers and volunteers.  Great cause; very unique first place awards for the top overall finishers; and the  age group places had medals  for each age group place, with different colored ribbons based on the firefighter rank system, very original;  nicely designed finisher medals for all finishers; lots of post-race goodies and lots of activities (raffle, games, Superheroes wandering around you could get a photo of or with; or both). Also post-race activities included live music performed by several groups, along with a 'fund-raising fair' that went on for I don't know how long through the afternoon;  just a ton of stuff going on at this one.   This event definitely stays on the race calendar in the future.   MUCHO thanks to all the organizers, volunteers, sponsors, local participating firefighters, law enforcement, etc. - all the folks who made this one happen for  we participants.  Y'all did GREAT!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Nice RR. Very cool awards.

I'm glad you had the caption that the guy with the big gun was a sheriff. My first thought was open carry state....

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice RR. Very cool awards.

I'm glad you had the caption that the guy with the big gun was a sheriff. My first thought was open carry state....

He was out there to protect us from any of our Texas big-sized mosquitoes that came along...  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

delicate flower

Good stuff, Scotty.  Love the OA awards...very cool!

<3