Beginners and Beyond

Sunrise Sunday Penguins (Read 20 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PADRunner

I would have seen the sunrise if it were not for the clouds.

4 windy miles done.

hog4life

Hi Pad, no sun here, it's raining.

Well, I haven't checked in for a couple of days, so this will be a bit long. I ended up with a 15.1 mile LR last night to finish off a 40 mile week. My legs are feeling beat up, so, I'll try to taper this next week a little. Me and Awood have our Oak Barrel HM in 2 weeks, can't wait to finally meet him. Today will be a RD.

Yesterday morning, my employer(Nucor), put on it's inaugural 5K Hero Dash. To sum things up, it was a huge success! Here's a link to an article in today's paper. If you watch the video(it's real short), I'm in the green shirt with the gray fuzzy stuff on my chin at the start line. I didn't run because I was kind of in charge of the timing. There were 5-6 of us on the "board" in getting this set up. I will have to say, that aside from racing, then to volunteer, being a co-race director and on the board to plan an event like this, takes a whole lot of work! We had a 7 month timeline in getting all this done, but we crammed it all into a little less than 3 months. Here's just a few things that you have to get done, and in no particular order; city permits, police, ordering t-shirts, getting sponsors, getting door prizes, recruiting volunteers, ordering finisher medals, bananas, water, Gatorade, post race planning, cleanup, setup, timing company, building the race in computer, assigning all the chips, packet stuffing, etc.

Some of the ladies that don't run, that are on our Relay For Life committee, had big doubts about this event, but me and Kelly(runner friend and coworker), showed them how us runners can make it work.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/news/article_2ff9fa16-b210-11e3-9fd3-0017a43b2370.html

PADRunner

hog - congrats on a successful race.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Complete and total rest day. I had a massage yesterday and it hurt like hell. I had so many knots in my legs and even one in my foot. Hopefully my new Achilles issue will be lessened. The extent of my activity will involve washing the car and shopping for DD's birthday.

Happy Sunday, Pens.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on the successful race, Mitch.  Did you forget to order the portapotties ???  

1.5 mile walk for me on the track.  5 for the week.

Heading into the city today for SIL birthday party with DD's.

GinnyinPA

Mitch - that's a nice write up on the race. Congratulations.

PAD - that's an early run for a weekend.  Good job.

Jack - I hope the massage got all your knots.  Enjoy the rest day.

AFM:  I'm heading out shortly on my LR.  I'm a little concerned since we walked 10 miles yesterday that my legs are not going to be happy with doing 13 today, but the weather is supposed to get much colder tomorrow so today is my best shot at a decent day.

Philliefan33

Mitch, congratulations on a successful race.   I know I've been guilty of underestimating the work done behind the scenes, I should make it a point to thank the race director at my future races.

7 miles this morning on the D&L trail (a local rail-to-trail). It was slow going; the trail was soft at best with a lot of muddy and some long patches of ice. I probably jumped the gun by a week or so for that route but I was missing my river run.

Zelanie

Hi pens!  Since I was taking it easy this week, I ran the exact same run 4 times.  Boring!  I had to laugh at myself, though, because it is an absolutely gorgeous route right now with lots of green grass, blue sky, and a view of the river.  There are tons of birds out, too.  I love the red wing blackbirds, and they are finally back.  Of course, a buzzard landed on the path right in front of me yesterday, and was looking a bit expectantly at me.   So I managed to suffer through 6 miles of lovely weather and scenery today.  But I'm ready to be back to "serious" running tomorrow.  And to try to get into the Blerch race before it sells out.

PAD- Nice job getting up and out early!

Mitch- That is awesome that you organized the race.  I am sure that your experience as a runner helped you to make sure that you had everything you needed- sounds like you did a great job!

Jack- Hope the massage fixes you right up.

Jerry- Glad you're still getting some walking in.  Got a timeline for that MRI?

Ginny- Hope that the LR went well!

Margo- Glad you got a trail run in!  I'm still sticking to the paved areas of the park myself, but a few more days like this one and I might venture out on the trail myself.

GinnyinPA

I ended up doing the 13 mile run after all.  I wanted to check out the course for the HM that is taking place in about a month in a town 15 miles from home.  I knew it was somewhat hilly (a little over 800' gain) with a couple of big hills, and wanted to get an idea of how hard it really is.  The course is linear, with a bus to the start, so I just intended to run the second half out and back, but DH offered to drive me to the end and pick me up afterwards.  I have a nice husband.  He actually met me twice along the way to see if my legs were holding up and if I wanted to continue.  I did.  When we drove the course on the way to the start, I said, "No way I'm going to race this."  But it turned out not to be as bad as I feared.  Biggest issue was that the big hills are in the last third of the race. If I decide to do the race, I'll definitely want to bank some time in the first half.  Running the course today, I had mixed feelings.  I ran stronger and faster than I expected.  It was cool (40) which helped.  The course was mostly rural, with an incredible amount of trash and dead deer along the route.  OTOH, the cows looked friendly.  Some of the winding hilly stretches were scary because there was very little shoulder and I couldn't see around the corners or over the top of the hills.  Traffic was light, but the hilly section was closer to town, so it definitely picked up.  On race day, they don't close the course to traffic, so I'm concerned about the safety of running it with 200 other people.  We'll see.