Beginners and Beyond

Who's running Boston this coming April? (Read 288 times)

Nevrgivup

I'm getting excited about Boston. Yes it's five months away, but it will be coming up quick. Obviously I'm not running it, but will be working in the capacity as a nurse again. Hoping to have a FE with a few of you. Smile

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Love the Half

I'll be there.  I'm flying in on Saturday and staying at the Courtyard in Foxborough.  I plan to run a personal worst marathon complete with lots of pictures and kisses from the girls at Wellesley.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I'm not, but one of my local "best running friends" is. She ought to run with Heidi--her first marathon ever, and she ran a 3:34!!  I wish I could come to cheer for her!

Sorta funny story, last year, when it was like 9 zillion degrees, another local friend ran it.  She was told by two different foot doctors not to run it because she had bad PF, and needed surgery and there was a chance it could completely rupture.  She insisted on running it anyway and ran a personal worst time by over an hour, in extreme pain (but no, it didn't rupture) and enduring the heat, and ended up being the 500,000th person in history to cross the finish line.  Adidas and the BAA sent her this big package with a bunch of apparel and a trophy that looks like a big cup, it was pretty awesome.  

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Village people

You should try and go, MJ. I am hoping to go cheer on some local and interwebz friends. Hand out some popsicles or something.

I'll be running. Getting in late Friday night and staying near Boston Commons.

Were you working the med tent at the finish last year? I know a couple folks who may have paid you a visit if so. It was definitely a hot one.

happylily

I am. But I'm having a hard time finiding a place to stay. I'm going with my SIL. We're hoping to rent a small studio for 4 or 5 days, with a small kitchenette if possible. We'd like to pay about $1200-$1500. If you know of any place in town that could offer that, Hilary, we're takers!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

My tendons hate me.

I'll be rooting you all on amidst the Newton hills. Send me a message if anyone wants anything waiting for them at mile 18 or so (gu, specific drink etc). 

5K - 23:25 (10/11)

10K - 46:45 (6/12)

HM - 1:46:55 (5/12)

Marathon - 4:18:55 (Philly 11/12 in crippling pain) 

Hip Redux

I am. But I'm having a hard time finiding a place to stay. I'm going with my SIL. We're hoping to rent a small studio for 4 or 5 days, with a small kitchenette if possible. We'd like to pay about $1200-$1500. If you know of any place in town that could offer that, Hilary, we're takers!

How far from the start are you looking?  Hopkinton is a small town - I don't know what they'd have in the way of rentals.  You may have better luck in like Framingham area.   

Nevrgivup

Fuzzy-I was working the med tent. It was crazy hot. I was soo busy. Lily- I'm from out of town. Tammy may be able to help you better. I have no clue.

runwell3

I'll be running my first & only Boston.  Tho it seems a long ways off, I know it'll be here quick; and a long winter training cycle (18/55) starts in about a week.  Staying at Hotel 140, which has a studio suite w/kitchenette, Julie.  It was still available when registration filled, but don"t know if it still is.  It's close to the finish line & might be worth a call to check.  Good luck to all who are Boston bound.  Stay healthy & hope to see you there

I'll be there, even if I have to sleep in my car.  (Procrastinating looking at hotels until we close on the house, which at this rate may be after the race Roll eyes)

DW wants to wear a bunch of Yankees gear, which I will *not* be doing, as I don't want to be booed, spit on, or worse.

happylily

haha... Shirfan. Your DW likes to live dangerously. :-)

runwell3, thanks for the tip! I went on the Hotel 140 website and there seems to be a few studios/suites available, but it was a bit confusing. I'm going to call them in the next hour. The location seems perfect.

Nevrgivup, thanks for all your hard work. I once needed medical attention on a marathon course and I am forever grateful to all the medical people who give their time at such events. You are an angel sent to us!

Oski, I guess I'm looking more at something in or close to the center of Boston. SIL and I don't mind having to use the T (I think that's what the transit system is called?), but since we'll be visiting Boston as a mini-vacation, we'd like to be not too far from downtown and the old part. Really though, I have no clue what I'm talking about. I was in Boston once, twenty years ago and only for a day, so it's all very blurry in my memory. :-(

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Love the Half

I looked at staying downtown but I just couldn't justify dropping $250 per night when I could stay 10 miles out, near the rail line, for half that price.  

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Nevrgivup

I looked at staying downtown but I just couldn't justify dropping $250 per night when I could stay 10 miles out, near the rail line, for half that price.  

That's a good idea. I drive to the nearest T station and take it into the city. So much easier. My brother lives in the city and I'd stay there, but it's a weekday.

Village people

$250? That is a damn good price! Boston is an expensive place to stay. What do you consider as downtown?