Beginners and Beyond

Lawyermom's L.A. Marathon RR (Read 63 times)

RunningWithMyDog

If I have any hope of substantial improvement, I need to get a masochistic coach I think 

I'm pretty sure you meant a sadistic coach, but the way you have it is waaaaaaaaaaay funnier.

And darker.

LRB

Thanks man.  I realize it was cake compared to the crazy marathon plans you guys do, but I needed a gateway plan, you know?  My biggest concern is I'm old (42), so I'm not sure how much better I realistically can get.  I didn't start "training" running until about 5 years ago, which is getting toward the end of the line for seeing gains if the 7 year rule is to be trusted.

If I have any hope of substantial improvement, I need to get a masochistic coach I think 

I didn't start running until I was 42. lol

You're in the company of enablers. If there's a will, we'll find a way! 

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

I'm just sayin', my second marathon was 4:07, and I added mileage and ran a BQ of 3:54 at age 44 (the BQ was for 45-49, which was when I would be running Boston).  And your previous coach might be willing to help you out. 

I'm just sayin', my second marathon was 4:07, and I added mileage and ran a BQ of 3:54 at age 44 (the BQ was for 45-49, which was when I would be running Boston).  And your previous coach might be willing to help you out. 

You know the only reason I haven't begged you to still be my coach is because I feel like a jerk asking you for running advice while you're dealing with not being able to run.  It just seems so mean.  But you got me my 1:43, so obviously you know me and what I should be doing Wink

OMG, RWMD   I... just... OMG.  I'll own up to my idiocy and not edit that so everyone can laugh, but that's a pretty terrible mistake on my part.  Oy.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My biggest concern is I'm old (42), so I'm not sure how much better I realistically can get.  I didn't start "training" running until about 5 years ago, which is getting toward the end of the line for seeing gains if the 7 year rule is to be trusted.

You're not that old.  I have you beat by 10 years.  I've been running for 5 years now too and last year I PR'd in distances ranging from 5k to a half marathon and hope to improve on my best marathon time later this year.  So keep hope alive and go for the improvement.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Cyberic

Thanks man.  I realize it was cake compared to the crazy marathon plans you guys do, but I needed a gateway plan, you know?  My biggest concern is I'm old (42), so I'm not sure how much better I realistically can get.  I didn't start "training" running until about 5 years ago, which is getting toward the end of the line for seeing gains if the 7 year rule is to be trusted

Unless you want to be elite or something, you're not old. I started at 42, like LRB, and am 48 now and improving. All you need is commitment to running. The more you commit, the better you'll become. Simple, but not necessarily easy Smile

Great RR and very well executed race.

I'm like you as I will not force eating. I go by feel. And your lemonade pee proves your hydration was perfect. Again, a very well executed race.

GC100k

I'm pretty sure you meant a sadistic coach, but the way you have it is waaaaaaaaaaay funnier.

And darker.

She seems to make such mistakes at a higher than random rate.

She seems to make such mistakes at a higher than random rate.

WTF is that about?

GC100k

WTF is that about?

Wasn't that you who talked about your favorite restraints? Or was that someone else? Seems like there was another one like that too.

No, that was not me. I have no idea who that was, but either way, there's no need to be catty.

GC100k

No, that was not me. I have no idea who that was, but either way, there's no need to be catty.

Sorry. Like RunningWithMyDog, I thought it was funny and was continuing the all-in-fun teasing (or so I thought). My apologies.

We could go on and on here.

I started running at around 45ish, first marathon at 47 (laughably trained), second marathon (a little better trained) at 48 got me a 4:06. Last year  at age 52, I set PRs in both half & full, the latter at 3:23 (marathon #9 for me). Are those the last of my PRs? At some point age will take over, maybe that's now, but who knows.

I'm pretty confident if you want to get faster, and you're willing to work hard, you can get there.

Dave

Coastal

LM: you're only 42?  Heck, you're just getting started.  

Quickadder

You're not that old.  I have you beat by 10 years.  I've been running for 5 years now too and last year I PR'd in distances ranging from 5k to a half marathon and hope to improve on my best marathon time later this year.  So keep hope alive and go for the improvement.

See my signature.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

RunningOnSand

Dudesie, way to rock that marathon!!!! You did incredibly well! I couldn't believe PoopMyPantsGuy. WTF? Maybe he thought it was a fart that ended up being more?!