Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are feelin' good on Friday... (Read 35 times)

Bin Running

Streak ended.  DS bought a chocolate cake to celebrate Friday. *women* Smile and I lost the motivation to run after that.

Tori, congrats! I know this mean a lot to you.

Jack, nice shoe!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Jimmy, I'm registered for the Rumpshaker, FE in the near future.

SheCan

G'afternoon Penguins!

Jack--- love the new avatar!   I wear New Balance shoes also, and always have to wear a 1/2 size up from my normal street shoes.  I assume, my feet just need more space when I run.  I tried my normal size and yikes, uncomfortable, and blisters!

Mitch- hope you're feeling better soon.

Tori-- congratulations on the graduation!!!!!!   Yippeee!!!!  How nice it must be to finally be finished!  I can't wait to hear how you like the Garmin FR10.  I have been considering one, and it'll be nice to have a review from you first!

zelanie--- it was really nice of you to run with the other runner.   Hopefully this slower run will get you all prepared for your weekend workouts.

t-rod-  Your weekend running schedule looks like mine.  My plan calls for 6 tomorrow and 20 Sunday.  And I'm feeling a bit scared.

bin-- chocolate cake is a streak breaker?  Nice way to end it!

I did 9 miles with 6@ tempo pace.  Was a much nicer, Spring day today!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Cherie, 6 mile tempo, nice!

G'afternoon Penguins!

t-rod-  Your weekend running schedule looks like mine.  My plan calls for 6 tomorrow and 20 Sunday.  And I'm feeling a bit scared.

I am thinking 10 and 16. I am not following anything that resembles a real plan right now, just trying to get miles in.

If they dont all happen, it isnt the end of the world. If they do, YIPPEEE

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm alive.  I took a URD yesterday because of a broken treadmill, and well I didn't want to run outside in that particular area.  So, I'm going to get in a few miles tonight, but I have a lot of work to get done first.  Catch you guys later.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

I'm alive.  I took a URD yesterday because of a broken treadmill, and well I didn't want to run outside in that particular area.  So, I'm going to get in a few miles tonight, but I have a lot of work to get done first.  Catch you guys later.

shots dont equal work  Smile

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

In my line of work, sometimes it does.

shots dont equal work  Smile

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

SheCan

I am thinking 10 and 16. I am not following anything that resembles a real plan right now, just trying to get miles in.

If they dont all happen, it isnt the end of the world. If they do, YIPPEEE

Great attitude!   I know that's more how I should do it, but even after all this time, I still psych myself out over the long runs-- but I think its because I end up getting sick during them so often.

Thanks, Zelanie!  Wink  Reading about your runs make me want to try harder!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

By the way Mitch...are you involved in the AISTM at all?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Great attitude!   I know that's more how I should do it, but even after all this time, I still psych myself out over the long runs-- but I think its because I end up getting sick during them so often.

why are you getting sick?

fuel a problem?

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

In addition to what T-Rod mentioned, check your hydration and fueling strategy.  You could be fueling too often or too sporadic.  I used to get migraines after long runs.  I added more water to them and it helped.  Find what works for you and I hope you stop being sick during them.

Thanks, Zelanie!  Wink  Reading about your runs make me want to try harder!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

yup...serious fueling problem.  I think I'm having issues with my blood sugar.  I dunno.  It seems like it'd be an easy fix, but it hasn't been and my doctor (nurse practicianer really)  doesn't seem to want to know about it.  So I just keep trying different foods at different points in the runs and hope I don't end up ill miles from home.

Hmmmm, thanks, Docket, maybe I'm not drinking enough.  I really haven't done much with my hydration.  If anything, I tend to underfuel just because i've grown scared of so many foods while running.

Cherie

Docket_Rocket

What are you doing and how often?

I'm off to the chiro but if you write here what your strategy usually is (including water), I'll give you recommendations tonight.

yup...serious fueling problem.  I think I'm having issues with my blood sugar.  I dunno.  It seems like it'd be an easy fix, but it hasn't been and my doctor (nurse practicianer really)  doesn't seem to want to know about it.  So I just keep trying different foods at different points in the runs and hope I don't end up ill miles from home.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

pae

The snows around here are mostly melted off of the neighborhood roads and sidewalks, so I had a pretty good run this morning.  The plan called for 5 miles with 3 at MP, but I decided I'd go for closer to 6 miles with 4 at MP.  The plan I'm following is for a sub 4 marathon (which is probably a bit ambitious for me, but I find that I'm enjoying challenges), so my MP would be about 9:09.

For some reason, I just couldn't get myself to slow it down, even though my phone kept telling me that I was ahead of my ghost pacer, and that lead just kept growing.  After a slowish first mile that included about 2 minutes of walking at the beginning, it was time for the MP portion.  I should have known that it was going to be a faster run than I anticipated when that slowish mile was 9:31 (including the walk).  But it was mostly downhill, so I'd have to slow down, right?

Apparently not.  The 4 MP miles were at 8:24, 8:38, 8:27, and 8:11.  The pace that I'm supposed to have for my tempo runs is 8:30, so I know I'm going too fast in these MP runs.  I really do need to work on hitting my goal pace so that I can be comfortable with it.

For the last 3/4 of a mile, I did manage to take it easier on the way back home, so at least there's that.  :-/