Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Melting Out (Read 16 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

I've got five on the schedule today, which I'd really like to run outside if possible. Walking Ben this morning I saw that some of the road in the nearby neighborhood has bare pavement, but there is still snow and ice on a lot of it, and in some places only one lane was plowed. It should be doable as long as there is no traffic but the steeper hills will be interesting.

Philliefan33

Not enough dry pavement for me to feel secure on my feet, so I hit the TM for 3.5 miles of iPod fartleks.

I am tired of moving snow.

SheCan

Good morning you serious Penguins!    Ugh @ y'all having to deal with ice on your runs.   Scary, please be careful out there.

Ginny, we sure don't want you hurting yourself so close to your race!  But I don't blame you for wanting to get outside for your run if you can.

Jill didja end up racing on Sunday?

Brilliant, I'm in southern Arizona.  So yeah, it usually is nice most of the year around.  We do live at a bit of altitude though, so it's exactly like Phoenix or Tucson.

I got in 7 miles with some hills.  It was more than I thought I'd be able to today.  Weird how when you're not on a real schedule, your body sometimes can handle more than or way less than your brain tells you when you start.  I was supposed to go to the gym today, but I'm gonna put it off until tomorrow.  I want to finish a painting that I was commissioned to do a while back, but kept feeling uninspired to do.  It'll be really nice to just get it done.   If it comes out well i'll show y'all.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jill didja end up racing on Sunday?

No racing. The race was cancelled because of the 27 inches of snow that fell Tongue. It was probably good that it was cancelled because I've been fighting a bad cold for a week now. I am tempted to go to the doctor but with this stupid high deductible plan we are on now that would cost me at least $200 so I'm just self medicating and taking it easy instead.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

SheCan

No racing. The race was cancelled because of the 27 inches of snow that fell Tongue. It was probably good that it was cancelled because I've been fighting a bad cold for a week now. I am tempted to go to the doctor but with this stupid high deductible plan we are on now that would cost me at least $200 so I'm just self medicating and taking it easy instead.

27"!!!!   That's crazy!   Yeah, probably is a good thing it was cancelled.      *Hugs* to you for the cold (I'm virtually immune.)  Well take care of yourself, stay inside and keep warm if you can.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Beautiful 40* today, but only 3.5 easy miles since DW's knees were hurting from yesterday's cold weather 7 miles fast pace.

How's the attic, Ginny?  Was that the first time you got snow up there?

GinnyinPA

We didn't have snow in our attic.  I saw the picture on my FB feed and was astonished that that could happen, but then I remembered attics we've had that had vents at one end like the one in the photo.  I went up into our crawlspace to check, just in case.  I just shared it in case anybody else had the problem and hadn't thought to check.