Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Tutu Dash 5K (Read 17 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.  Link to a slideshow of just the photoshttp://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2042%20Tutu%20Dash%205K

BEFORE THE START

This was my 42nd race of 2016.  The Tutu Dash 5K was held in O.P. Schnabel Park, San Antonio, on 9/3/2016.  A fun run with medals given to all finishers as they crossed the finish line.  Awards went to only the top male and top female finisher.   I 'dressed for success" with my own personal brand of tutu, lol...

photo 001_zpsy5s7b0yc.jpg

photo 002_zps2z3avpax.jpg

photo 003_zpsncm9uapr.jpg

My  lovely wife joined me at this event - not dressed quite as elaborately as me, lol.

photo 005_zpsfhscrgzi.jpg

photo 006_zps3ha6jj0z.jpg

After that, got my timing chip and then went around getting some more photos.  Apparently my Tutu Outfit was a hit; as I wandered around people kept wanting to get photos with me.  And I got photos of several of the people there.

photo 004_zpswcdonuve.jpg

photo 007_zps3gkp7och.jpg

photo 014_zpsnxrj1yn5.jpg

Our MC.  He did a great job.

photo 008_zpsxmay85so.jpg

photo 009_zpsi8obe5pz.jpg

photo 010_zpskmwinuke.jpg

photo 011_zpsiqqxbpzh.jpg

photo 012_zpsmsir7j8t.jpg

The guys who did our course setup, timing, and results

photo 013_zpsyayydztr.jpg

photo 015_zpslynefhc8.jpg

photo 016_zpsiesrb931.jpg

photo 017_zpskmpmxot8.jpg

photo 018_zpsgajupcae.jpg

photo 019_zpssokrvva8.jpg

photo 020_zpsiokwvvzz.jpg

photo 021_zpsprl4ydzi.jpg

photo 022_zpsnm99gcix.jpg

photo 023_zpsijzwj8bw.jpg

photo 024_zps3mpwdlpd.jpg

One of my local "running crushes", Margaret with one of my canine pals, Rocky

photo 025_zps3vxmv6q8.jpg

This one was a bit blurry...

photo 026_zpsvyxuuuk5.jpg

The 'selfie" I took with my old-time camera came out a bit better

photo 027_zps8rsf0e1t.jpg

photo 028_zps9t2f5sgp.jpg

Getting Ready to Start

photo 029_zpssvmq7ynz.jpg

photo 030_zps5wgjw5kw.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Mainly an out-and-back course on paved trails in the park, with one part being a little loop-around before we began heading back to the finish.  This was a different course than normally used for 5Ks in the park, so this was a nice change.  This was a very well-thought out course by whomever set it up (I suspect it was my friend Jose of iaapweb.com) and from talking to people after the 5K, it good a lot of good comments.  I hope in the future Race Directors use this 5K course more in this park instead of the one most regularly used, which has quite a few more hills than this course did.

photo 031_zps2xmwwoap.jpg

photo 032_zpsz7b5shqm.jpg

photo 033_zpsml649gcj.jpg

photo 034_zpsuuyqzmzj.jpg

photo 035_zpsk3txybis.jpg

Runners on the trail across from me, where I'd end up soon

photo 036_zpsy0hdoffi.jpg

photo 037_zpsa7aroqej.jpg

Heading toward the finish now...

photo 038_zpsqalup4be.jpg

I jokingly told this young man that I was an Old Man and I knew he could beat me into the finish.   He did too.  He did great, ran about the full last mile and finished right ahead of me.

photo 039_zps2lchtzx0.jpg

photo 040_zpsycwzyox3.jpg

photo 041_zpstoxmoqtq.jpg

This was a downhill for us on the way out...uphill on the way back.  After we got to the top of this, it was right turn, a bit of flat, and then downhill all the way to the finish.

photo 042_zpsmryciyof.jpg

Looking back where I just was...

photo 043_zpssolcyoov.jpg

After that, I trucked on into the finish, and ended up with 34:14 chip time, which I was very satisfied with!  Slowly but surely getting back to my pre-injury race times.

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water, a bit of a cool-down walk,  and then time to get post-race photos!

photo 044_zpsdn3fpzez.jpg

Me and the young man who beat me in...he did great!

photo 045_zpsux3lpfws.jpg

With his family

photo 046_zpsrckpwrsf.jpg

photo 047_zpsf1iymmom.jpg

photo 048_zpsxgjcmgf0.jpg

photo 049_zpsi65mwtz5.jpg

Hey, where was this stroller when I needed  a ride up that last hill?   photo 051_zps8boo2gbg.jpg

photo 052_zps0aihhxpd.jpg

photo 053_zpsxdkjcxor.jpg

photo 054_zpsykdosbd5.jpg

photo 055_zpsyxuod4oo.jpg

photo 056_zpsegezhxu0.jpg

Team RWB (Red White & Blue) a veteran's organization of which I am a member also.

photo 057_zpsqfyviqlg.jpg

photo 062_zpsj6tvp3np.jpg

photo 065_zpsliqttttk.jpg

My speedy friends Tanya and Bernadette

photo 058_zpsmgpl83tx.jpg

photo 059_zpshrenunnj.jpg

Their tutus look much better on them..

photo 061_zpsptd5v5eq.jpg

photo 064_zps5mefd74p.jpg

photo 067_zpsxgd9tynh.jpg

photo 069_zps6zwy5ech.jpg

photo 072_zpslvzmjenx.jpg

photo 073_zpsjbygs1c4.jpg

photo 074_zpspw9w1fbr.jpg

Me and the beautiful Mini of iaapweb.com

photo 075_zpse3tuuqij.jpg

I made two new friends at the event....Akita dogs Utah and Indiana

photo 076_zpsjuzqnniq.jpg

photo 078_zpsiien6guf.jpg

photo 080_zpspknh89dt.jpg

photo 082_zps1w1jkfr8.jpg

photo 083_zpsvtnpbkwz.jpg

photo 084_zpsxm0qsx0e.jpg

Friend Karen with my wife, Gail

photo 085_zpst9xzgxdm.jpg

EPILOGUE

And a happy time was had by all!  At least it seemed that way to me.  Lots of smiles and laughter, an excellent course, really nice weather for San Antonio for this time of year - in the 70s at race time with the humidity a bit lower than normal for this time of year, and ample amount of shade on the course was nice too - and this park is a great venue, have a very large pavilion, restroom facilities, water fountains, etc.  MUCHO THANKS to all the folks who worked to get this one done for us - iaapweb.com, the law enforcement folks out on the one park road we had to cross, all the volunteers, and all the sponsors.  Definitely would do this one again!  Don't know how I'm going to top that outfit, though.... 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Wow...... great outfit Scott. Great pics as well, you seem to have so much fun at these races Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Your outfit is awesome!

Damaris

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Can't wait for your Undie Run, Scotty.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Your outfit is great!

GinnyinPA

I love the outfit.  Is there a story behind having a tutu run, or was it just that somebody decided it would be fun?  Nice that so many people participated in the costumes.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I love the outfit.  Is there a story behind having a tutu run, or was it just that somebody decided it would be fun?  Nice that so many people participated in the costumes.

Does raise some funds for a local children's charity.   I think this was the 3rd year it was done, and it is a lot of fun.  Medals to all finishers, and a prize to the top male and female finisher, but no age group awards, so more money can go to the charity, and we were all good with that.  Just a pretty laid-back fun run, with lots of smiles and laughs.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt