Beginners and Beyond

Saw a guy in a jock strap yesterday (Read 269 times)

Docket_Rocket

I'm late to the party but this was a classic response to TMI, LOL!

Most of the women are doing this (a la Luke):

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Well, who wants to talk about chafed boobs without pics, no?  Wait, what?

This thread is much more entertaining than the chaffed boob thread in the health forum.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

BexKix, Bagel Defender

....I was unaware jockstraps were no longer worn.... hahahaha. Shows how much I know. Thought that they were the equivilent of sports bras for men, and was unaware there was an alternative to wearing one. Thought men wore compression shorts under regular shorts for the same reason I do...preventing inner thigh  chafing. Never thought about it, guess I assumed they had jock straps underneath LOL!!! Now I know....

You and me both, sister. Big grin

Dr. Cornsitter

I'm still confused as to why jock straps for runners are necessary. I know in contact sports, it makes sense to.....encapsulate(?).....all that in something hard and protective, by why when running? Is it like sports bras, you just need to keep it strapped close to the body to avoid pain that might be associated with too much "jostling"?

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't spend a great deal of time watching men run around naked. They're usually otherwise occupied if they're near me and naked.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

#artbydmcbride

Not all jock straps have the hard shell insert.

maybe we should go around 'knocking' on guy's packages and check.

Runners run

GC100k

Not all jock straps have the hard shell insert.

That's right.  The strap is just for support.  Some have a pocket for a cup, but that's something extra.

It took some trial and error to find compression shorts that are loose enough to be pulled and tucked in places to do their job but not too loose or too tight.  When I order a new brand or type, it's about 50/50 whether they will work for me or not.

I haven't taken a running step without compression shorts in over 20 years.  Even when I was a skinny, six-packed college high jumper I had chafing problems and kept a jar of vaseline in my locker.  When I started running in the 80s, I had my wife make me some long shorts.  Once I discovered compression shorts, life was much better.

#artbydmcbride

Pro Stretch Jock Strap U7083-62511 L/Black

Runners run

happylily

Pro Stretch Jock Strap U7083-62511 L/Black

That looks weird... I must be stupid, but what is the white strap for below the butt?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Um, that is what holds it on. This is not a thong.

I can't believe we got 3 pages out of this thread. Please end it.

Dave

happylily

Um, that is what holds it on. This is not a thong.

I can't believe we got 3 pages out of this thread. Please end it.

LOL...

This bump up the page just for you, Dave. Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Cd8runner

I wear jocks running shorts

Indiana Runner

Um, maybe it’s my age (53), but I always wear a jock to the gym or to run.  We were raised that way.  It was mandatory in high school.

RunningWithMyDog

Sorry for weighing in late on this one (bumping it back up).

IMHO, compression shorts are not quite the same as an athletic supporter (aka, the jock - although in Canada a jock is generally thought of as the hard protective cup and holder).

Unless we are talking about the world's greatest new underwear Saxx, compression shorts lack the ability to completely separate your...ahem...duffle bag...from your legs.

Jocks may be old school, but they do a much better job.

compression shorts lack the ability to completely separate your...ahem...duffle bag...from your legs.

Jocks may be old school, but they do a much better job.

The liner built into virtually every pair of running shorts accomplishes this goal as well.

Dave