Beginners and Beyond

Race Report – The 2014 Avengers Half Marathon: Hulk Smash! (Read 56 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Thanks for the RR Lurch, looks like you still have the joy to run inside of you.

How the heck did this happen? I ignored my watch. Most of the timing signs blew over in the wind. I didn’t specifically train or taper for this thing. So why the PR? I offer four possible reasons:

1. The Dryness – I drank a lot of water last night and a bottle of Gatorade on the drive to Disneyland. I also drank water and electrolyte drink at every water stop. Perhaps the wind and the dryness increased the cooling effect of my sweat, allowing me to run faster. Probably not much of a difference physically (dryness), better hydration in this race.
    1. The Wind – The Tailwind (or rather cessions of fighting the wind) came at the right place: Mile 10. It was a huge physical and psychological boost to put the wind behind me. Running the last 3 felt easy.  Most likely a wash overall, running with and against the wind.
    1. Rick didn’t think about his time at all. He just ran with the flow. I wasn’t passed a whole lot. I didn’t pass many people. Not thinking about my time takes away the performance anxiety.  Good race strategy, run by feel
    1. Rick is just running faster and after the experience at the Marine Corps Marathon (I see spots but I'm gunna finish anyway!), is willing to push himself harder than before.  Ding, ding, ding.  Pushing yourself is what gains you fitness.  If you run some shorter races, and truly push yourself, your later training runs will seem easier.

Whatever the reason, I do know this: 2:11:29 is going to be tough to beat. So I’m going to keep on running, and continue to live the calorically limited life.  You will beat your time, you just need to push and be willing to embrace the suck

Keep up the work, you will lose the weight and improve.  Bravo.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Wow! Nice job! Nothing like an unexpected PR! Congrats!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

happylily

Congratulations on the PR!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

Agree with fourouta5's assessment - pushing through and embracing the suck is a big part of successful racing. "How badly do you want it?" has become my mantra when the suckiness threatens to take me down. Congrats on the PR, and I bet the next HM you train and taper for will be another PR Smile

delicate flower

Be careful, Lurch...it sounds like you are turning into a runner.  By the way, I request a picture of the medal.

Congrats on the PR.  You'll beat 2:11.  Keep at it.

<3

PADRunner

Congrats! Nice race.

Mmmmm...beer

Great job Rick, that's a killer PR!!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

At 6’ 6” tall and 240 lb. there is only one outfit to wear: The Hulk.

Oh, I dunno...you might try the Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Altho it might be difficult to run 13 miles with a hump...unless you are  camel, of course.

Great report and nice photos!   Yeah, I remember that  Church.  I went with Gail to a conference in the Disney area and while she was doing her thing at the conference, I was out running the area and remember passing that church.  Didn't see much of it as I came at from the wrong way and was about blinded by the sun reflecting off it.

Congrats on your PR!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

You Rang?

By the way, I request a picture of the medal.

I don't have any photos of me wearing the medal.  You'll have to settle for a shot of the Avengers medal hanging on The Banister of Glory(tm).

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

You Rang?

Awesome job and great report!!

Is that another guy dressed as the hulk behind in that last pic?

Thanks!  The Hulk was a popular costume.  Yes that is another hulk behind me.

Rick 

You Rang?

Great job!  Question, was the course better than the Disneyland HM (which I found boring as hell)?

I'm not sure why you considered the Diz half course so boring.  Unlike WDW, you're never going to get wall-to-wall Disney branded entertainment at a half marathon at Disneyland.  Disney doesn't let its entertainers out of the park.  At least ten miles of any Disneyland race is on the streets of Anaheim.  I understand that the Tinkerbell Half course is beautiful as it runs north into the older, historic, and residential section of Anaheim.  I've never run the Tinkerbell half as the estrogen levels are too high.

I think this course was faster.  There were not as many twists and turns, and it was interesting running down the middle of Harbor Boulevard and Chapman Ave.  But the Disneyland Half had waaaay more on course entertainment than this one.

Rick 

You Rang?

That hurts just reading it, ugh!

Congrats on the race, maybe it was the doughnut. 

I've run two marathons and I have not enjoyed either one.  Maybe I stop looking for joy in the marathon distance and come to the conclusion that it's just gunna suck and get over it.

Rick 

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Nice PR, Lurch. I am pretty sure you have the best pictures of anyone. That marathon picture is still my favorite. More importantly, congrats on the weight loss and keep it up.