Beginners and Beyond

Chicago marathon registration opens 2/19 at 12pm CST (Read 367 times)

$175/$200 for non-US runners

cap of 45,000

Love the Half

I am wondering what the price point is at which people say, "it's not worth it."  Given that the race fee is one of the smaller expenses for folks traveling to races, I'd think it's quite high.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

They have not made it to the breakover point yet in price.  Each year the price has gone up over the last several years and the sellout rate has increased dramatically.

They have not made it to the breakover point yet in price.  Each year the price has gone up over the last several years and the sellout rate has increased dramatically.

I don’t know if the Chicago demographic is all that different than New York, but NYC doesn’t have a problem turning them down at $255 a pop (or more than $300 internationally) 

Docket_Rocket

I am looking forward to registration but yeah, the price is a bit higher than last year.  Still, I cannot wait for the FE.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

How fast did it sell out last year, Doug?

Anomalous

I considered running this as my first, but the price and the size was a bit intimidating. If it's in the universe, it'll be one for the future Wink

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

cmb4314

I am wondering what the price point is at which people say, "it's not worth it."  Given that the race fee is one of the smaller expenses for folks traveling to races, I'd think it's quite high.

That's a good point.  When I consider the $600 in plane tickets and the $600 in hotel costs (want to stay near the start line, comfortable bed, etc. and so forth) that I've spent to go to New Orleans in February, not to mention what I will spend on food (and oh, do I intend to enjoy the local food scene.  Om nom nom), the race fee isn't that big a deal.  

Granted, we only paid $140 total for both my husband and I to run that one.  More than double that, and it does start to be a pretty significant chunk of the trip expenses.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Wow, that's too rich for me.  I ran Chicago 3 times (2000-2002) when it was about half the price and about 10,000 fewer people.  It was fun, actually an awesome experience, but I can't see paying that much for a race. 

B-Plus

Thanks, I marked my calendar.
                        Year Closed Capacity
                        2004 August 16 40,000
                        2005 July 15 40,000
                        2006 May 26 40,000
                        2007 April 18 45,000
                        2008 April 23 45,000
                        2009 April 23 45,000
                        2010 March 23 45,000
                        2011 March 3 45,000
                        2012 February 6 45,000

In past years, registration opened on 2/1, so last year closed in 5 days.

The relatively quiet Chicago user group is here.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

Is this for the Rock n Roll Chicago Marathon?  My boyfriend and I were planning on running the half.

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

Docket_Rocket

Is this for the Rock n Roll Chicago Marathon?  My boyfriend and I were planning on running the half.

It is not the RnR.  It's the Bank of America Chicago Marathon.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

xor

Rock n roll only does a half in chicago. no full.

Supersono99

Wow, that's expensive.