Beginners and Beyond

Chilly Weekend Penguins (Read 13 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

The sun is shining but it's only 42 degrees. Brr. I know, that will feel tropical by February, but right now it's chilly.  I'm not sure whether I'll run this afternoon or take Ben to the woods - or both. At least the wind has died down.

GinnyinPA

The trouble with trail runs this time of year is you can't see what's under the leaves.  I did a very slow but fun run on the ski trail in the state forest, but only one loop plus a mile back up to where I met Jim and Ben. I usually do two loops, but I felt very insecure not being able to see the ruts, rocks and roots underfoot. I'm a bit paranoid about another fall. Still, four miles on a beautiful autumn day was most enjoyable.

Docket_Rocket

Afternoon!  Ran 2.5 with hubby this morning after he woke me up and wanted us to run but it was too hot and sunny.  Silly man.  Barre this morning too.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

The trouble with trail runs this time of year is you can't see what's under the leaves.  I did a very slow but fun run on the ski trail in the state forest, but only one loop plus a mile back up to where I met Jim and Ben. I usually do two loops, but I felt very insecure not being able to see the ruts, rocks and roots underfoot. I'm a bit paranoid about another fall. Still, four miles on a beautiful autumn day was most enjoyable.

I can imagine how tough it can be.  Especially someone like me that falls on regular flat floor.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

I got shot in the shoulder this morning for an active shooter role playing scenario. It was in a movie theater and the shooters had hostages in the theater. I was on the floor in the lobby with 9 other victims. We went through it twice with 2 swat teams. Something different for a Saturday morning. Had to be there at 3:30 though.

Mine was minor compared to some of the other injuries. They had some really good moulage artists.

Got 4.4 on the TM afterwards.

Docket_Rocket

That's a nice scenario to try and practice.   Although we have a CWL, we never carry into places like the theater.  But I am sure my phone is hard enough to knock someone out.  Ha.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

Yikes, PAD, that is super realistic!  I'm glad they're prepping for stuff like that.  When they had the shooting at my school, the police had no idea what to do so they waited around while people bled out.   Sucks that it needs to be done, but better to be prepared than the alternative.

I'm making lasagna and cookies to bring over to people, then I'm still hoping to get a run with the dogs in before other people come over later tonight.

Ginny- The leaves are a bit of a hazard around here, too.  I almost missed a root at my last trail race.  Mostly I've been running on the bike path lately, although sometimes it's more like wading.

GinnyinPA

PAD - how did you happen to get picked to be a victim?  Are you a first responder?

Z - Cookies and lasagna sound really good.  Hmm.  Maybe we'll go to the Italian restaurant tonight. I hope you got your run in.

D - was your run today any better?

My run today was pretty good. I'm still having energy issues, but it was such a beautiful day (61 and sunny) it was just nice to be outside. I saw lots of people walking dogs and kids, raking or burning leaves (cough cough), or putting up Christmas decorations.  I did 11 miles, including a bit of back and forth on our street to make it come out even.

PADRunner

14 today on the trails.

Ginny, I just signed up to volunteer. They used some for the crowd and some for the victims. I went through the citizens police academy a few years ago and I volunteer for things occasionally.