Beginners and Beyond

Finally FriDAILIES (Read 49 times)

Docket_Rocket

They might, since you are giving your body enough time to recover in between.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

4 mile easy run - check

moderate weight training - check

All my fitness chores are done for the day. Now, on to showering and eating again.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Just B.S.

15 miles on the road bike done. Just to get her on the road and see what needs to be tweaked before

biking season starts.  With 44F temps and winds of 20-25 plus the bike speed it was fffffreeeezing out

there!! My teeth are still hurting.

Oski, so sorry to hear of all your back troubles. And yet you are still running. Shows a lot of gumption!!

I run low mileage for most marathoners (usually top out at 40mpw, 4xweek) but have been doing that for

10 years plus supplement with a lot of cycling and now swimming. I still manage to easily run sub 4:30

marathons on that mileage which I totally credit to my other activities.

Is swimming or cycling an option for you? Possibly not cycling with the back issues.  I started swimming

and training for another marathon the same week ( first of January) and personally feel that I have made

a lot of fitness/speed gains by adding in the swimming 4Xweek.

Just a thought.

Hip Redux

Is swimming or cycling an option for you? Possibly not cycling with the back issues. 

I love to ride!  I needed a custom bike built otherwise ugh, it was awful on my back.   I actually managed a century ride last year... probably the last time I'll be able to, but it was good to check that box.

But swimming... the fear of drowning sort of gets in the way. lol  I'm such a mental mess in water.

Just B.S.

I love to ride!  I needed a custom bike built otherwise ugh, it was awful on my back.   I actually managed a century ride last year... probably the last time I'll be able to, but it was good to check that box.

But swimming... the fear of drowning sort of gets in the way. lol  I'm such a mental mess in water.

That's what lifeguards are for!! Not much chance of drowning in a class or clinic!LOL

But easy for me to say since I was brought up as a water baby and grew up diving off the top of my parents

cabin boats into lakes and riversAlthough I haven't been swimming in 35 years it didn't take long to come

back and I swam 2 kilometers without stopping last week.

Hubby did not grow up swimming and I have to admit right now that I am enjoying the fact that I am better

a sport than him. At least temporarily.Smile

LRB

Let me/us know what you think of Olympus has fallen.

It scored rather low from critics but they are over-analyzing it.  For those who look at it and say, that would never happen or this would never happen, they need not even bother going to see the stupid thing.  I mean, if every movie made total sense, there would be about one per year.

For those who just enjoy action and want a decent watch, it's pretty good.

The body count is high and there is a lot of splatter, there is also some irony in it given a couple of recent events.  Overall though, I found it worth my time.

Docket_Rocket

I loved it.  I usually go against what the critics say.  haha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

At the age of 42, I overcame my fear of dying in the deep end of the pool in only my sixth session of swim classes.  It was easily one of the most liberating days of my life, and one I will never forget!

Overcoming that fear is a process, one that begins by signing up for classes.  It is inevitable that at some point before your last class, you will be jumping feet first into 10 feet of water like a little kid!

YAYpril - B-Plus

We're not closing early. I'm really bored. I doubt I'll do 6 tonight, because I don't want to be out and about until after 6:30. I'll probably do 4. Blargh.

Just B.S.

At the age of 42, I overcame my fear of dying in the deep end of the pool in only my sixth session of swim classes.  It was easily one of the most liberating days of my life, and one I will never forget!

Overcoming that fear is a process, one that begins by signing up for classes.  It is inevitable that at some point before your last class, you will be jumping feet first into 10 feet of water like a little kid!

A friend of ours did the same. He started in November with "learn to swim" classes. The kind where they

teach you to blow bubbles under the water like the children. He is now signed up for a 1/2 Iron in late August!

What I love about being fit/running is that I know I can get of of my car if it broke down and run or walk as far as

I needed to go for help. Now with swimming that my  breathing is so natural and easy and I have the endurance

to swim for several hours I know I could save myself any distance within 2-3 miles from shore. It's a good feeling.

Robert31320

Team TJ

I compled the 4.7 mile route for te homeless walk/run in 51 minutes  Had to cross two multi lane streets on my ow.  There wer a h ndful of us way ahead of the traffic control for the event.  My co-worker finished in 1 hour, it was his longest run to date.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Hip Redux

LRB -  Nice!  I am ok in a pool but I really just don't like being in water.  Open water is a source of utter panic for me, unless I am close to something like a boat.   I had a panic attack snorkeling once and it wasn't pretty.

April - tergh.  I am glad I took the afternoon off - this morning was already so slow at work.

Robert -  that's great about your coworker!  Spreading the addiction, eh?

Robert31320

Team TJ

LRB -  Nice!  I am ok in a pool but I really just don't like being in water.  Open water is a source of utter panic for me, unless I am close to something like a boat.   I had a panic attack snorkeling once and it wasn't pretty.

April - tergh.  I am glad I took the afternoon off - this morning was already so slow at work.

Robert -  that's great about your coworker!  Spreading the addiction, eh?

I'm trying!  He just started running a few months ago, just before his 63rd birthday!

Running for TJ because he can't.

LRB

I understand.

Hip Redux

I'm trying!  He just started running a few months ago, just before his 63rd birthday!

Love it!