Beginners and Beyond

How do you feel when out there running when people you know see you? (Read 164 times)

Nevrgivup

So I was out running my longest run in awhile the other day (10 miles) and my neighbors saw me at the halfway point. They drove by with a wave.. I felt so cool to be out there running that distance. I felt proud to be a runner. I love when people I know see me out there doing what I love. It shows my dedication and committment to my passion. It gets even better when I'm out running in rain, cold, heat and snow. Clown

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

YAYpril - B-Plus

Doesn't bother me one bit. If I see them, I smile and wave. I get honked at occasionally and don't know if it's someone I know or just some guy being a jackass, so I usually don't pay attention to them.

I live half a mile from a pizza place and I see the delivery car all over my neighborhood when I'm running. I actually talked to the delivery guy during my run on Monday and he said he sees me all the time, and he said "good for you, staying in shape!" Haha. I saw him again last night and we waved to each other.

happylily

I don't run outside often, but I do in the summer.

I think I feel a bit embarrassed when I'm seen, probably because I'm not used to it. I am always worried that I look slow, that my form is bad. I feel the same in a race, but the feeling goes away quickly when I start focusing on my race. Then I don't give a hoot about what I look like.

But if some people tell me later that they saw me run earlier, yes, it makes me smile and I feel good. Just like you. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I usually don't realize til they tell me later....oblivious! Every now and then a coworker will tell me, "hey I saw you jog past my house this morning!" or a client's mother will say, "I think you ran right past my car yesterday!" And I will hope I didn't look too awful lol

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I don't run outside often, but I do in the summer.

I think I feel a bit embarrassed when I'm seen, probably because I'm not used to it. I am always worried that I look slow, that my form is bad. I feel the same in a race, but the feeling goes away quickly when I start focusing on my race. Then I don't give a hoot about what I look like.

But if some people tell me later that they saw me run earlier, yes, it makes me smile and I feel good. Just like you. Smile

Yeah, I always feel awkward and self-conscious. Undecided

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

Nevrgivup

For clarification I'm not bothered.  I like that they see me. Smile

Doesn't bother me one bit. If I see them, I smile and wave. I get honked at occasionally and don't know if it's someone I know or just some guy being a jackass, so I usually don't pay attention to them.

I live half a mile from a pizza place and I see the delivery car all over my neighborhood when I'm running. I actually talked to the delivery guy during my run on Monday and he said he sees me all the time, and he said "good for you, staying in shape!" Haha. I saw him again last night and we waved to each other.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

YAYpril - B-Plus

For clarification I'm not bothered.  I like that they see me. Smile

Oh I know. I was just directly responding to the question you asked. Smile

Just B.S.

Honestly I have been doing this for so long and living in the same house since I started running (2000)

that it doesn't even occur to me to wonder what other people think. I  run almost 99% of the time outdoors,

even in the winter. I really go into my own zone when running and often have people say "hey I waved

at you but you didn't wave back........nope I don't even look at cars. The only think I really notice is other

runners or cyclists.

I live in a fairly small suburb and often when I meet people for the first time they will say "oh you are that

girl I see out running all the time" I do like that. But mostly because they called me a girl.Big grin

I live at the top of a hill that rises 350 ft in a less than a mile. The first few years that I was running neighbors

would stop and offer me a ride to the top. I always refused, no matter what the weather, so they stopped 

asking. There have been a few times (total downpours, -15F etc) that I wished someone would stop and

ask but now they never do.Smile

Hubby cycles and runs marathons as well so I think now the neighbors attitude is "yeah just them again"

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

When I visit my parents occasionally on weekends and go for runs in the neighborhood I grew up in, I love seeing the "runners" of the neighborhood out running....growing up there were always a few neighbors who I remember ALWAYS being out running....I am proud to be "one of them" now and love passing them out on a run!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

I live in a smallish town and I am already known as a runner. People honk and wave all the time and I rather like it. It's like people cheering at a race and it gives me a little shot of adrenalin.

Mostly harmless

I like seeing a familiar face when I'm running so I usually perk up a bit when that happen and wave.  If it's a good friend I give them a nice salute.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

I usually run in the dark before work. On my long runs on the weekends, I will see some people out and about, but I live in a small town and the there are not a ton of people that see me. Depending on the route, I will get a toot of the horn from an oil/gas truck. I usually take this as a good thing, not as something bad or messing with me. I sometimes see so-workers. This morning I saw the preacher from my church. I was a block away, but he knows my headlamp and my bright orange vest.

I would rather be invisible out there, but I think that most people in my town are friendly to me while I am out there.

I have seen 5 other people working out in the 13 months I have been doing it. My insurance agent, A co-worker's spouse, a co-worker's dad, a student's dad, and some random chick who was faster than me.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I feel proud and awesome, especially if it's raining or snowing, or really windy. They might think I'm crazy, but I feel like beast.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GC100k

Slightly embarrassed.  I try to keep my running vice a secret.

I don't run on roads, but I will see people I know on the trails.  I say a friendly "hey".  It's not a big deal to get discovered, but I prefer to stay anonymous.

Philliefan33

At my main home, I've never had any of my neighbors say "hey I saw you out running the other day".  I usually only run around my neighborhood once or twice a week (other days I run at work or at a park) and sometimes it is after dark, so I guess I'm not visible enough for them to notice.

At our weekend home, one set of neighbors sees me quite often and usually asks how far I'm going.  They are amazed that I run as far as I do, and it makes me feel good.  I don't do many amazing things, but if they think running 10 miles is amazing I'm okay with it Smile.