Beginners and Beyond

Stache Dash 5K - Quasi Race report (Read 47 times)

Some may know that since the beginning of this year, for the first time I have dealt with injuries and self-doubt.

I had planned to enter a 5K race in May and a 10K race in June in preparation for a goal 10K race in July.  Thanks to a newspaper coupon code,   I entered this race for half price - $15.

The Stache Dash started at 9am in Buckhead section of Atlanta at the Tin Lizzies cantina.  It's about a 45 minute drive from my house in the 'burbs.  Since the later than normal start for a 5K that I'm accustomed, I decided an approach earlier in the week that others in this forum have taken.

I arrived early and ran an easy 3 plus miles warm up prior to the race.  Again so I would have already broken a sweat by start time.

Most of the runners were between 25 and 35, male and female, in a festive mood for Cinco de Mayo.  No bib timing, Just a dude at the start who shouted, "Go!".  As soon as "Go" announced, I started my watch.  Almost for the entire first mile , we ran uphill on Piedmont Road.

At the first mile marker, I glanced at my watch which displayed 8:47.    About this time, I had my sights on two runners ahead as my "pacers".

One, a guy who looked about 60 who looked real fit and had runners legs.  The  other was a young woman who looked about 35.  They were both about 10 yards ahead of me.  I vowed to stay in reach of them throughout the race.

A good portion of the second mile involved running though a neighborhood Buckhead Forest off  Peachtree Road (there are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of Peachtree in their name).  It was a U -shaped route through the neighborhood going downhill and then uphill. Once we were back on Peachtree Road at the 2 mile marker, I glanced at my watch which displayed 18:something.  At that point, I was thinking about the goal which I had entered on Damaris' May races posting - sub 28:00 .  It may not be attainable.

Fortunately, when we turned off Peachtree Rd, the next street Roswell Road was primarily downhill.  I still had my two pacers in sight.  I could never gain on them, but I never lost sight of them in this section of the race.  I kept my 55 year old legs churning (well, churning for me).

During this mile, I remembered my promise to pray for someone.  Also at this point during the race, no one was passing me which felt good no matter what time I recorded.  Soon, we made the right hand turn on Habersham Rd (?).  And the finish line was in sight.

As I crossed the finish line, I stopped my watch.  It displayed 26:43.  Not a PR but the best 5K racing time for me since May 2013.

Immediately, I looked for  either of the two "pacers".  I could not find them.  So I picked up my race T-shirt  and complimentary pass for free 24 ounce Corona draft beer or Margarita.  Well, due to some allergy issues, only a non-alcoholic beer would have sufficed.   So, I found two young dudes who were already quaffing a cold one at 9:35 am.  I offered my drink pass to one of them.  I'm sure the dude has had a good time there today.

As I was turning around and walking away, I caught sight of the 60 year old "pacer".    Immediately, I thanked him for pacing me to my best time in a year running a 5K.  Never did find the young woman to thank.

What did I learn today?  First, for a 5K race, my body can handle a warm-up equivalent to the race distance and it helped.  Secondly,  identifying a "pacer" helps me to maintain my intensity throughout the race.

Going forward, my running confidence has been restored and I look forward to the next two months in preparation for my goal 10K race.

Thanks for reading.

Rich

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Good race, bozy. I have thanked people who have paced me and it always takes them by complete surprise. I'm glad you are happy with your run and I'm guessing you will get that pr soon. Too bad about the beer!

RabbitChaser

Great job! Congrats on running a good race and blowing past 28:00 and getting a sub-27:00!

LRB

24 ounces of Corona is a lot of damn beer for free (and good beer), I might have had one of those myself!

Congrats on the race!  You didn't mention any issues with weather so I take it there were none?  Also getting a good warmup is ideal, nice to hear you had success with that.

Nice race, Bo.

Interesting about the long warmup, glad it worked well for you.

GinnyinPA

Good race.  I'm glad you got your racing mojo back.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rich, glad you got your confidence back and congrats on your fastest 5K in a year, sounds like you are back!  Dang, that sounds like one awfully hilly course for just a 3-mile event!  You came, you saw, you conquered!  Way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

Well done, you got that sub-28 by a long shot!  Sounds like your comeback is coming along just fine.

happylily

Congratulations! I'm very happy for you. 

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

Nice job, Rich!  You hit that goal with a lot to spare.

I always give away my beer coupons (non-drinker here).  I'd rather someone enjoy it than me throw the coupon out.  Speaking of coupons, you still get a newspaper?

<3

Nice job, Rich!  You hit that goal with a lot to spare.

I always give away my beer coupons (non-drinker here).  I'd rather someone enjoy it than me throw the coupon out.  Speaking of coupons, you still get a newspaper?

The AJC has a special Thursday - Sunday deal for home delivery which has bargains not noted online but in print.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Ric-G

$15 entry and hitting your goal...congrats!

marathon pr - 3:16

Zelanie

Nice racing!  Sounds like you are getting some of your mojo back. Smile  Glad you got a chance to thank at least the guy after the race, too.

I usually run about 2 miles with 4 sets of strides before my races, on the premise that it takes me about that long to feel warmed up when I'm out for an easy run.  I am really still until I warm up, so I think it helps.