Beginners and Beyond

My first "real" race in 10 months, meh but I'll take it. 10k RR. (Read 90 times)

never run

I haven't been around that much but here goes.

Background:  I realized about 2 weeks ago that my last "real" race was at the end of May, 10 months ago.  I'd run some longer trail races for fun between now and then but I didn't "race" any of them.  Mainly this was cause due to my 1000 mile move during the fall racing season that mostly lead to this.  The move also lead me to drop my mileage significantly, in fact this month is the first one all year that I've managed to be consistent in running period let alone doing anything but focusing on getting out the door to go for a run.  I admit, because it's been so long I was a bit afraid to race.  Needless to say I didn't have a firm goal this was more of a fitness test than a race for me.

Finish 45:33 15th overall 1st in my AG

So splits,

7:03,  (too fast, I knew it and I did actually slow down from where I was)

7:15

7:20

7:19

7:50

7:29

7:23

The 7:50, this was physical and mental, I think mostly mental.  The most I've run at any faster pace recently was about 2 miles so this was double that, I know I gave myself permission to run this mile crappy, plus I was felling the race a bit in my quads, was it enough to merit slowing down yes, but not this much.  I also had forgotten my coping mechanism which is counting from 100 backwards until mile 6.

Overall I'm good with my race, it wasn't my best but not bad for a shake out run.

Finally, since LRB mentioned on FB on Thursday that he was carbo loading for a race on Saturday I took a chance and asked him if it was him.  Turns out it was.  Wink

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

That's a great race after such a long layoff.  Racing is as much about being sharp mentally as it is physically, so your reasoning for the 7:50 mile makes perfect sense to me.  The fact that you were able to get back on the horse after that is impressive.  I hope you're able to get some more miles in again - if that's your goal.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

That's a great race after such a long layoff.  Racing is as much about being sharp mentally as it is physically, so your reasoning for the 7:50 mile makes perfect sense to me.  The fact that you were able to get back on the horse after that is impressive.  I hope you're able to get some more miles in again - if that's your goal.

+1

You recovered quit nicely after that.  Maybe it was seeing my yellow shoes fly by (that is where I passed you) that made you want to take another look lol!

You seriously are going to kick butt this year with a time like that your first race back!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Finally, since LRB mentioned on FB on Thursday that he was carbo loading for a race on Saturday I took a chance and asked him if it was him.  Turns out it was.  Wink

Did I miss something here?  It was LRB who what?

Also, I say GREAT race!  First mile blunders happen to the best of us so no worries there.  Plus, 7:50 ain't exactly slow, ya know!  Wink

Randy

never run

+1

You recovered quit nicely after that.  Maybe it was seeing my yellow shoes fly by (that is where I passed you) that made you want to take another look lol!

You seriously are going to kick butt this year with a time like that your first race back!

That reminds me I forgot.  The most important thing Orange.  I wore my new Orange racing shoes for the first time for Jenny.

LRB

That reminds me I forgot.  The most important thing Orange.  I wore my new Orange racing shoes for the first time for Jenny.

You were sharp as a tack.  The red arm warmers set it all off!  I need some of those!

never run

Those we the cheap Asics ones, I was actually looking for a pair of printed ones that had some orange in them but couldn't find them this morning.

LRB

Those we the cheap Asics ones, I was actually looking for a pair of printed ones that had some orange in them but couldn't find them this morning.

I have a pair of the Asics and comparatively speaking, they are better than the more expensive Frank Shorter ones I wore today, which were a bit snug and too long.

The score so far for me is, cheap arm warmers 1 - more expensive arm warmers 0.

Better I Leave

Damn nice numbers after a lengthy hiatus my friend. Better numbers than I'll probably ever see. Well done. Smile

never run

If you ever see me in white arm warmers they are the cheapest, tub socks from a 10 pack from Target re-purposed.  I agree on the Asics working well though, my Sugio's are good but my Brooks ones suck.

Docket_Rocket

Great job, Jane!  Congrats.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

aplodder

Susan

Nice race!  Nice that you won your AG after not racing in months.  Congrat's!

Jess runs for bacon

Meh and you got an AG award? You're crazy Smile glad to hear you are racing again, and super jealous you got to meet the LRB!

Love the Half

10Ks are, IMHO, the hardest distance to race.  You can't go out really hard like a 5K but if you ever relax as in a HM, you'll give up way too much time.  Congrats on getting back into it.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Runny_babbit

hop, hop, hop...

Fantastic job, even if you do say "meh"! Congrats!

MM #8764 / HF #6535 / Double Agent #668

PRs: 5K - 27:43, 10K - 57:14, HM - 2:06:18, FM - 5:22:42

~How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were supposed to be?~