Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 61, Battle of Leon Creek 5K, 10-Mile, 20-Mile (Read 8 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252061%2520Scallywompus%2520Leon%2520Creek%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 61st race of 2019 was the Scallywompus Battle of Leon Creek 5K on Nov 16, starting and finishing at an apartment complex near the University of Texas at San Antonio.  This was the last race in the Alamo Beer Series, a series of 4 races that gradually built up distances in preparation for the upcoming San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon/Half Marathon the first weekend of December.  The main event was a 20-miler and there was also a 10-miler. After a lot of rain this past week, the weather was sunny and blue skies, but a bit chilly for we South Texans, around 36 – 38 degrees before the start.   The 20-miler started at 7:30, the 10-miler at 8:15, and the 5K at 9 a.m.

My friend Albert was doing Course Marshal duty for this one. First person I saw when I arrived at the race location.

photo IMG_6654_zpsm5ouqguo.jpg

Welcome to the event.  Start line area.  The 20-mile folks had already gone, these wee the 10-mile folks getting ready to go

photo IMG_6655_zpswfnj33yt.jpg

And they are off!

photo IMG_6658_zpsdecrj1sd.jpg

Various participants, sponsors, supporters, etc.

photo IMG_6656_zpszwaa0qd0.jpg

photo IMG_6657_zpshjucmonf.jpg

photo IMG_6659_zps3m8zwpds.jpg

photo IMG_6660_zpsolkuzaky.jpg

photo IMG_6661_zpsprboxawc.jpg

photo IMG_6663_zpsdvvwfwbs.jpg

photo IMG_6664_zpsiluq67w5.jpg

photo IMG_6676_zpsrnnvw3ei.jpg

photo IMG_6678_zpsquy6tmfy.jpg

photo IMG_6679_zpsx0pevz1e.jpg

Prepping up the sausages for post-race

photo IMG_6665_zpsuf49mmmg.jpg

Drinks on the table waiting for post-race

photo IMG_6667_zpsgmrhor67.jpg

photo IMG_6670_zpsyygdvghn.jpg

Our MC

photo IMG_6668_zpstuofyh6t.jpg

MC and Race Director

photo IMG_6669_zpslxnlwbdh.jpg

photo IMG_6674_zpsjqm9zwmx.jpg

photo IMG_6675_zpsc3wznhke.jpg

This is a wheeled-chair and dog-friendly event

photo IMG_6671_zpsidkoyyiz.jpg

photo IMG_6672_zpsfzkluo56.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Starting in front of the apartment complex, we proceeded a very short distance up a paved road and then moved onto a concrete sidewalk that took us down to the Leon Creek greenway concrete paved trails, part of San Antonio’s extensive greenway system for off-road running, cycling, walking, etc.  Very nice trails with lots of room for everyone.  Since the 5K started the latest, we did encounter some of the speedier 20-miler and 10-miler folks coming back toward us on the way to their finish.  All courses were out-and-back. Ditched my hat and one of my shirt layers right before the start as I knew I'd warm up pretty quick on the course.  I ended up with a time of 36:07 chip time, about 11:38 per mile, although Mile 2 – 3 I did in 11:11, my fastest mile in a long time, since I got my pacemaker implant.  There were only 5 in my age group (65 – 69) and I ended up 2nd.  The first guy in my age group did a 7:37 per mile pace, finishing in 23:40, zowie!

photo IMG_6681_zpsz1buqh0m.jpg

photo IMG_6682_zpser33ggbh.jpg

photo IMG_6683_zpskzsiyxfb.jpg

photo IMG_6684_zpstcocvqgc.jpg

photo IMG_6685_zpsernpk2zt.jpg

photo IMG_6686_zps2nvyb6vh.jpg

photo IMG_6687_zps9zphlp1j.jpg

photo IMG_6688_zpsrlhxngeu.jpg

photo IMG_6689_zpsqasdaxbu.jpg

photo IMG_6690_zpsbcnsivcp.jpg

photo IMG_6691_zpspkve7o3k.jpg

photo IMG_6692_zpsublrdxle.jpg

photo IMG_6693_zpsy2fbuqoq.jpg

Got a photo of the official photographer

photo IMG_6694_zpstjupwhm5.jpg

photo IMG_6695_zpsemurhviw.jpg

Inspiring lady.  She had a friend pushing her chair behind her just in case, but she never used it.  She walked the whole 5k.

photo IMG_6696_zpsca8uhclv.jpg

photo IMG_6697_zpsremvj5gy.jpg

photo IMG_6698_zpsvz9nju82.jpg

photo IMG_6699_zpsfgqcq1hs.jpg

Right before the finish, stopped for a few seconds to get these photos.  This is the way we came down to the trails from the start area, and then had to climb back up this to get to the finish.

photo IMG_6700_zpssvxdxl1g.jpg

Not really that steep as you can see...but I bet the 20-mile and 10-mile folks felt that in their legs after all those miles.

photo IMG_6701_zpsaoss27ha.jpg

After My Finish

The motto of Scallywompus is “Come for the race. Stay for the party.”  They are not kidding.  DJ playing music; food included pizza slices, Kiolbassa sausage-on-a-stick, various fruits, and more. Drinks included water, of course, various juices, cold, iced-down Alamo Beer, bloody mary’s, vodka and more. I got water in me first and then enjoyed a sausage along with a cold beer as I wandered around munching, drinking, chatting and taking photos.

Happy finishers, et al....  

photo IMG_6702_zpsne7sppb1.jpg

photo IMG_6703_zpsboipw7le.jpg

photo IMG_6704_zps21wh1pp0.jpg

photo IMG_6705_zpsjvpiulzc.jpg

photo IMG_6706_zpsotubvc9i.jpg

photo IMG_6707_zpslnnfqb3o.jpg

photo IMG_6708_zpst35o1kjo.jpg

photo IMG_6709_zpsa6uisjv1.jpg

photo IMG_6710_zpsaacepkzd.jpg

photo IMG_6711_zpsbeh0tsde.jpg

photo IMG_6712_zpsmun3wcgj.jpg

She is done!  At the finish line area, getting a well-earned sit-down now...

photo IMG_6713_zps7a8jsunr.jpg

photo IMG_6714_zpsezcdc8bs.jpg

photo IMG_6715_zpsihnhlcen.jpg

photo IMG_6716_zpspvukcjim.jpg

photo IMG_6717_zpsdearsnib.jpg

Age Group awards were these Scallywompus/Alamo Beer designed glasses

photo IMG_6721_zpspf45vffw.jpg

My friend Bernadette placed, as usual

photo IMG_6718_zpsw1cp1pij.jpg

photo IMG_6728_zpsnypripka.jpg

photo IMG_6719_zpsrr3f3mya.jpg

photo IMG_6720_zpsbgrm1gwl.jpg

My friend making sure it's beer, lol.

photo IMG_6722_zpsdsompun6.jpg

Guess he's happy with it...

photo IMG_6723_zpscuckdi2m.jpg

photo IMG_6724_zpsdybwh0nc.jpg

photo IMG_6725_zpsywyoopjn.jpg

My friend Woody, here, was 2nd in the 20-miler.  Zowie.

photo IMG_6726_zpsanlz2tq6.jpg

photo IMG_6727_zpsfhey5ni0.jpg

photo IMG_6729_zps3netbu14.jpg

photo IMG_6730_zps6v8l6zmd.jpg

photo IMG_6731_zpspg3werbo.jpg

The finisher medal bling all finishers got

photo IMG_6732_zps1rzpkkiu.jpg

EPILOGUE

I have done this one before, will continue to do it in the future. Scallywompus always puts on great events and this one is no exception.  Nice quality race tees, finisher medals for everyone, unique glass awards for the age-group winners – which goes to 4 places and there is also a competitive walker’s division too – and nice race venue.  I would certainly recommend this to other runners/walkers.

Many thanks to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, including:  Race Director Tony who did his usual great job; Bart Childers – and probably his wife too - who started the Scallywompus events way back when and the rest, as they say, is history; all the volunteers, sponsors, vendors out there for us.  University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA, where I work) for the use of the campus parking lots; the residents of the apartment complex we invaded for several hours, thanks for your patience; and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on the AG placing. You're doing great post-surgery. Amazing that you have run 61 already this year, despite the pacemaker.