Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Flower Power 5K (Read 13 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below. 

Link to a slideshow of just the photos: http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2050%20Flower%20Power%205K

BEFORE THE START

The Flower Power 5K was my 50th race of 2016, held on Oct 1 at Missions County Park Pavilions in San Antonio.  A fundraiser event for the local Institute for Women's Health.  5K start time of 9:30 a.m.  276 finishers.  There was also a Kid's Run.   With the late start time I got to sleep in a bit for a change, arriving at the race venue with about an hour to go until start time and began wandering around taking some pre-start photos.

Some of the iRun Texas crew who did the timing, results, course setup, etc.; and me with them

photo 003_zpsifahdatn.jpg

photo 005_zps0zthmy9o.jpg

Scoped out  'my ride' if I needed it on the course later. 

photo 006_zpsfmcsrxfy.jpg

Some of the volunteers

photo 007_zpsd41sflku.jpg

Our music folks

photo 001_zps4csp6wpt.jpg

photo 002_zpsnprpchhz.jpg

Also met Jesus....who is running for President

photo 009_zps2gmsz7gc.jpg

photo 011_zpsjgytyqcu.jpg

With some of my fellow Team Red White Blue (Team RWB) folks

photo 016_zpsfszp8ftv.jpg

photo 019_zpstdwu16rg.jpg

Me and Bailey, whom I've met at other events.  A real sweetheart

photo 020_zpstfkszcd6.jpg

photo 021_zpsqkuev5j6.jpg

photo 022_zpsstn9irmm.jpg

Various participants, supporters, etc

photo 008_zps1i0phyh1.jpg

photo 013_zpssiwn0xyu.jpg

photo 014_zpsbf98kbml.jpg

photo 017_zps236oucaz.jpg

photo 018_zpstplr2bju.jpg

photo 023_zpshrt9http.jpg

photo 024_zpsjxx5gliw.jpg

photo 025_zpsj8llqeci.jpg

photo 026_zpsr0vcns7s.jpg

photo 027_zps5jxhfpku.jpg

ON THE COURSE

A later start time than most races, but thankfully the weather cooperated as a cool front had moved in....67 degrees at start time, low humidity and dewpoint, a mix of sun and cloud-cover.  It actually felt quite pleasant out there for we Texans who were dealing with 80+ degree temps for our races the last weekend.  Course was paved trails right along the Mission Reach part of the San Antonio Riverwalk, so nice views of the river.  This is one of the 'quiet' parts of the Riverwalk, no businesses, hotels, or tourists down this way....yet.  Makes for a very nice run, walk, or cycling experience...and there were even some kayakers in the water.  Course was an out-and-back with a few short hills along the way.  What Race Directors like to euphemistically call, lol, a 'gently rolling course."  Yeah...the RDs are not running the race, right?  Tongue     I've done this course before at other events and it actually is a pretty nice course, with lots of room for everyone to move around on it.   I ended up with a 35:05 chip time, 4th in my age group.

Now, as Jackie Gleason used to say (yeah, I'm aging myself, lol)..."and awaaaay we go...."

photo 028_zps4hhz4uzf.jpg

My first walk break, I was across this bridge and on a hill look down at others crossing over and also on the way to the bridge

photo 029_zpscyjsbbs6.jpg

photo 030_zpsw0wswhh3.jpg

photo 032_zpsinkhvgbz.jpg

On my side of the river at that time

photo 031_zpsrfahqu24.jpg

photo 033_zpsfcnvv5h3.jpg

photo 034_zps0j4w1bl9.jpg

photo 035_zpsclhbv1zb.jpg

I've made the turn-around and am now heading back.  On the left, just over that lady's head, you can see Tower of the Americas, which is in downtown San Antonio

photo 036_zpsxelvv7vy.jpg

photo 037_zpsfsbq8cg1.jpg

photo 038_zpshxminswl.jpg

photo 039_zpsf7r8jmxc.jpg

photo 040_zpsy0jrf4zu.jpg

photo 041_zps7fsn3izp.jpg

photo 042_zpszaxifqju.jpg

I am standing on the bridge getting ready to head back to the 'finish' side of the river

photo 043_zpsm6od238e.jpg

That green roof on the left is where the finish line is near photo 044_zpsdsflzdwo.jpg

Volunteers.  Go UTSA Roadrunners!  UTSA is the university I work for.

photo 045_zpstvlz3ene.jpg

From the 'finish' side of the river, looking across where I just was a while ago

photo 046_zpsp4bteqfa.jpg

Heading to the finish

photo 048_zpsk8isf3vk.jpg

photo 049_zpsgnycf6xo.jpg

photo 050_zps263pgofi.jpg

photo 051_zpsnzyxdjca.jpg

photo 052_zps0axlnyfu.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Did my post-run stretches, and then off to find goodies and take photos.

Yeah, I'm heading here....

photo 012_zpsf6vhvfms.jpg

Yay, sausages!  And thanks, volunteers!

photo 053_zpspf83gknz.jpg

Oh yeah...the mother lode....

photo 054_zpsqwkrv2gk.jpg

photo 055_zps01qzfdwe.jpg

Finishers etal.....

photo 056_zpsxc6fyhda.jpg

photo 058_zpsdpn37fnp.jpg

Me and friend Karen, who speedily walked the course

photo 059_zpsvkxov634.jpg

photo 061_zpshgcbss09.jpg

photo 062_zpsgjom7how.jpg

Hey, you...just take the photo!   Tongue     This photo cracked me up...

photo 063_zpstqlwv6xl.jpg

Me with RD Mitch

photo 064_zpsxfa3zy8k.jpg

photo 066_zpsehtu4gzh.jpg

photo 067_zpsczeqjqfr.jpg

OK, my wife is not here to give me directions...hope I don't break this thing...

photo 068_zpsey7983oj.jpg

photo 069_zpsnucgjao1.jpg

When Karen and I do the same race....my job is to crack her up....   Tongue

photo 070_zpsazecdp5t.jpg

photo 071_zpsoxu2i3la.jpg

photo 072_zpsedirfgnq.jpg

Grooovy, baby!  :   Very nice lady I've encountered at other races.

photo 073_zps3ko0cpqv.jpg

photo 081_zpsrichgaak.jpg

photo 074_zps0f9k1vhb.jpg

photo 075_zpsy4qwn6zy.jpg

photo 076_zpsyt4osb5x.jpg

photo 077_zpsrr72zagy.jpg

photo 078_zpsym3nhozg.jpg

photo 079_zps4r0qhdst.jpg

First female overall.  Congrats, Bertha!

photo 080_zpskv675ikh.jpg

Just before I left, nice sit-down, relax, and chat with all these good folks for a while.

photo 082_zpsgjumr31z.jpg

EPILOGUE

Very nicely organized  - as usual for events they do - by the superb local race management/running store company iRun Texas, who did the course setup, timing, results, etc.  Nice post-race goodies of beer and sausages, finisher medals for everyone - I gave mine to a little lad in a stroller since he was the only one in his family without one - and lots of vendors/sponsors there were giving away freebies.  Also, nice cold water being handed to you RIGHT as you finish, so you don't have to go looking for it, a very nice touch, wish ALL races I do would do this.  Good course, nice weather (thanks Mother Nature!), lots of fun, nice quality tech tee race shirts.  Definitely would do this one again.   Mucho thanks to all the folks who made this one happen for us: iRun, volunteers, law enforcement folks, sponsors, vendors, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

Looks like a great place to run and race, especially when it's cooler so shade is less important.  I'm glad you got your Alamo beer this week;-)

Cyberic

I hope Jesus won. If not, he was not the real Jesus.