Beginners and Beyond


Race #79 of 2017 - Segways for Vets 5K (Read 6 times)

Barking Mad To Run


    I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”


    And a big thanks to for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more


    Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.   


    Slide show of photos only: 



    This was my 79th race of the year and the 2nd 5K of the morning of Nov 12.  Did one 5K at 8:30 in the morning and then hustled on over to this venue to do this 5K that started at 10 a.m.  Held at Freetail Brewery, a local brewery that makes some fine fine beer. This was a veteran-oriented run/walk with a cause to raise money for Segway scooters for disabled vets.  I managed to arrive with about 35 minutes to go to start time so was able to wander around taking a few pre-start photos.  Was glad I had put a dry shirt, dry socks and a change of running shoes into my car too, because it misted on us for a bit pre-start.


    With Team RWB (Red White and Blue) veterans organization; many chapters in many cities. San Antonio has one of the largest chapters.









    Inside the brewery...nice to be able to go inside and stay dry when it was misting





    Ainsley's Angels, these people are awesome - and fast too, very speedy on the courses they do.









    A few participants, volunteers, etc.










    My friend Abby.  She loves to run and pulled her human to a 24-something minute finish.







    The misting stopped shortly before we got started.  It was pretty cloudy and pretty humid; but it did not rain on us for the whole time I was out there and we had lots of cloud cover.  Start was in front of the Freetail Brewery, then we did a short route on a couple of streets that took us down to part of the San Antonio Riverwalk.  This is a nice, quiet part of the Riverwalk, with no restaurants, shoppes, etc., and nice views of the river as you go along.  After we got to a turn-round point, we headed back the way we came, with one small change before we finished, going across a short bridge and then up a hill and then more Riverwalk that took us back to the roads we had started on, and then took those roads back to the finish.   I had pushed my first race a bit - pushing for me anyway, lol - and finished in 34-and-change, with negative splits on the back half.  So I made myself take it easy for this one - this was my 3rd race of the weekend and the two on Nov 12 were practically back-to-back.  There were a couple of climbs on this course too - my first 5K of the morning had been very flat - and my legs felt that all right, lol.  The Segway Guys were riding up and down the course checking on everyone and for just a second or two I thought about hitching a ride back to the finish, lol.  But naw...34 years running and I have never been a DNF in a I kept slogging it out.   I ended up with 37-something, averaging about 11:55 or something a mile, which was okay with me.


    Water stop...thanks Project Phoenix folks!






    Hey, dude, it's illegal in San Antonio to text and drive...   


    My friend Ralph..apparently his wife designated him the family camera guy...he was carrying two phone cameras, lol



    My speedy friend, Max..carries the flag at all his races.  And then he places too!


    And here comes my pal, Bernadette, heading for the finish


    This lady was a bit worried about carrying the flag - me too, lol, I'm always afraid I am going to drop it - but she did great!


    On the bridge right near the turn-round point



    That stone thingy up there is the top part of a pavilion along the riverwalk


    the other side of the river from the bridge



    Here is the turn-round point!   Volunteers there...


    I am now heading in the direction of the other words..back the way I came, lol.


    I saw that smokestack..have run on this part of the river before...and just knew we were going to go across the bridge and have to go up the hill near the smokestack before we got to the flat road that took us to the finish.  Yep, that's the way it was.



    Thanks, bike marshal George!


    On the bridge at the water station,  enjoying the view, before I get off the bridge and have to tackle Smokestack Hill



    After that, managed to run non-stop back to the finish.   After I finished, got one of the Angels teams coming in





    I was actually feeling a little light-headed after I finished; I had made sure to be well-hydrated for both races, but probably  a bit of low blood sugar, as I had not had too much food. I had oatmeal for breakfast around 6 a.m., then a powergel before my first race, and then took a gel about 15 minutes before this race, and that was it.  So put a dry shirt over the singlet I wore for the race, then I went and got a banana and one of my friends - I forget who - handed me a gatorade, and there were also cupcakes and I indulged in one.  And then I just sat for a bit, sipping my drink, relaxing.  Felt much better after that. Even went and got my free beer and enjoyed it thoroughly!  Then wandered around taking some after photos.



    With friend and MC Mitch Allen, co-owner, iRun Texas


    Look like I'm about to cry, lol.  I actually did feel a bit emotional... 79th race, and back-to-back events on this day....made me feel like I was beating my arthritis, that even though I am older and slower, I am still doing okay.  Yeah, baby.


    My VERY speedy friend, Jerry (left) who is in my age group and does like an 8-minute mile or something, sometimes even faster.  Awesome!



    Race Director Mitch Lincoln.  Great event, buddy, good job!



    With friend, Alfred...we both are always trying to crack each other up, online and offline.









    Some of the medal winners.  I was third in my age group, but the awards only went to 2 places






    Right before I left to go home and get a hot shower and a long nap, lol, I made new friends with these guys.  The humans were nice too.   



    This is always a good event for a great cause.  Timing, results, and course setup by my friends at local race management company iRun Texas, they always do a great job. Kudos to my friend Mitch and his lovely lady, Charito, who organized this event.  Nice course, very friendly atmosphere, great post-race goodies - sausage wraps, various baked goodies - like the cupcakes - various drinks, popcorn and, of course really good Freetail beer.  And lots of fellow veterans here, so lots of comradery (sp?) and fellowship and stories being told too, of course, lol.  Loved it all.  Have done this one before, definitely will do it again, and would recommend it to others too.


    MUCHO thanks to EVERYONE who had a part in getting this one organized for we participants:  Sponsors, vendors, Freetail for the beer and use of venue, volunteers, Project Phoenix folks for standing out there on the course the whole time managing the course water stop, Team RWB military/retired folks  and the Segway Vets for being course marshals and helping keep an eye on us out there, law enforcement out there for us on the roads, and many more I am sure, apologies if I did not mention you. Without all of you, no race for us, so thank you very much!

    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

    Half Crazy K 2.0

      So no test ride of a Segway? Based on some of the stories you've told on here, I was a little afraid when I saw Segway in the RR.


        Probably just as well you weren't on the Segway. One day in Gettysburg we saw two tourists on Segways get into accidents. One had to be taken away in an ambulance. As HC says, you have a hard enough time on two feet.


        Congratulations on three races in two days.