Beginners and Beyond

Rotating shoes: how many pairs? (Read 449 times)

sheepla

2 road and 1 trail.  Sadly, my reason is not for shoe longevity but because if I am running without my dog, I have to sneak out of the house in sandals and change shoes in the car.  Otherwise she is SO disappointed.

Out of curiousity, do most who rotate shoes rotate the same or different brands/makes?  I have two pair of the same road shoe I rotate.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

2 road and 1 trail.  Sadly, my reason is not for shoe longevity but because if I am running without my dog, I have to sneak out of the house in sandles and change shoes in the car.  Otherwise she is SO disappointed.

Out of curiousity, do most who rotate shoes rotate the same or different brands/makes?  I have two pair of the same road shoe I rotate.

I wear all Mizuno but different shoes. Rider/Precision for GA and LR runs and Musha for quality days like intervals/tempo. I'll probably add in the Ronin to rotation on quality days soon though.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

I've got four pair going now. Two daily trainers (Nike), one pair I wear for races and speed work (Asics), and one pair of Brooks PureFlows that I just got to see how I like a lower toe-heel drop. So far so good.

I had traditionally been an Asics DS Trainer guy but I didn't like their "update" a year or so ago. Now I see the new model is due out with some changes so I may take a look again.

Pirate Syd the Engorged

2 road and 1 trail.  Sadly, my reason is not for shoe longevity but because if I am running without my dog, I have to sneak out of the house in sandles and change shoes in the car.  Otherwise she is SO disappointed.

I rotate 4 pairs, 2 pairs of New Balance M730's for mid-length runs and speedwork, a pair of Asiics Gel Excel33's for long runs and a pair of VFF Bikila's for shorter mileage.

xor

I recently learned that "everyone" rotates shoes except (apparently) me.  I'm going to start doing so b/c I guess it extends the useful life of your shoes and so maybe I won't go through them as quickly as I do.  How many pairs are in your rotation?

No, not everyone does... and from my experience it does not really extend the life of my shoes.  I get 500ish miles out of a pair of Adrenalines or Ravennas whether I rotate them or not (I recently did a wear test for brooks that involved running in shoe x for 500 miles in two months.  I did not rotate.  Shoes started feeling dead in the exact same place).

If you want to rotate, by all means do so... and this definitely helps avoid discomfort and shoe funk if you tend to get your shoes wet... you can let the pair dry while running in a second pair.

But the extending the useful life thing, in my experience and everyone I know who decided one day not to rotate, is probably yet another one of those "rules" that isn't that real.

(When I do rotate, I rotate 3.  Because I like shoes, not because you need to)

Docket_Rocket

2 road and 1 trail.  Sadly, my reason is not for shoe longevity but because if I am running without my dog, I have to sneak out of the house in sandals and change shoes in the car.  Otherwise she is SO disappointed.

Both.  I have Mizunos but different brands but I also have the same Mizunos in rotation.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

No, not everyone does... and from my experience it does not really extend the life of my shoes.  I get 500ish miles out of a pair of Adrenalines or Ravennas whether I rotate them or not (I recently did a wear test for brooks that involved running in shoe x for 500 miles in two months.  I did not rotate.  Shoes started feeling dead in the exact same place).

If you want to rotate, by all means do so... and this definitely helps avoid discomfort and shoe funk if you tend to get your shoes wet... you can let the pair dry while running in a second pair.

But the extending the useful life thing, in my experience and everyone I know who decided one day not to rotate, is probably yet another one of those "rules" that isn't that real.

^^ This.

In the Summer, my shoes end up getting wet from sweat and humidity too often not to know this.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I rotate many. 7 or 8? Two brands, many models. I have no idea whether rotating them really does give longer life to my shoes. There are two reasons why I like to rotate: 1) I feel I need a different type of shoe for a different type of run. On my faster, shorter runs, I like more stability and a snugglier fit. I like my feet to be held firmly in place while I do intervals or tempo. For my mid-long or LRs, I like the wider, freer feel of my Newtons. All are light, but some are cushier than others. Some days I feel I need extra cushiness, some days I don't. The #2 reason is the one I mentioned in another thread. I can't really tell when a shoe is finished and I will still wear shoes with 800 miles and not really feel a difference. But just in case, because I don't want to risk an injury, I will never wear an 800 mile shoe two days in a row. I will wear it once a week, maybe. Just in case. So again, I like to rotate some very new shoes, with some average age and some very old ones. When the shoes get to 800 miles though, if they show any signs of coming apart (the fabric inside, etc...), I stop wearing them for running.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Just B.S.

Thanks, SRL. I said the same in my post but my experience with a mere 12 years of running does not hold as

much weight as yours. I think I'm a pretty good test case though. For many years I wore exactly the same

shoe/model (Asics Gel Cumulus)  and didn't rotate, then for many years I have been wearing the same  shoe

and rotating 3-4 pairs at a time.

It has not lead to getting more miles from my shoes. It is just more convenient to have them in case of bad

weather or travel.

bluerun

Super B****

I should be embarrassed to answer this question...

There are more than a dozen pairs in current rotation, all but one of which are road shoes.  I tend to have problems when deciding which shoes to wear.  Can't imagine why.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Penguin Forever

Have 4 pairs... two pairs of Brooks Ravennas, two pairs of Brooks Glycerins (one of which I got very cheap). All in different colors for my fashion sense and the Glycerins are a bit cushier. I think one of the Ravennas is getting close to retirement.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

2 pair.  Used to be Asics Cumulus.  Last 2 years have been Nike Pegasus.

If I ever won the lottery, I would probably do really stupid stuff with shoes.

Randy

I rotate.  For road running, I currently have:

2 pairs of Asics Landreths

1 pair of Saucony Rides

1 pair of Asics Cumulus

I also have 1 pair of Saucony Rides with screws in them (for winter running) and 1 pair of Asics Cumulus with my foot pod attached (for using on the indoor track or on the treadmill).  I also have 1 pair of racing shoes (Asics Speedstars).

I think rotating does extend the "life" of my shoes somewhat, mainly because I can get away with still using shoes that are high mileage (i.e. 800 miles plus) for shorter runs.  If they were my only shoes, I would need to retire them before they reach that point because they would not be protective enough for using for my longer runs.  By using them for short runs, I can get a little bit extra out of them before retiring them completely.

Docket_Rocket

You know you have too many shoes in rotation when your DH hears the UPS truck coming down the street and he exclaims: you better go down to receive your package.  The UPS does not come down here without stopping in this house. Sheesh!  I don't have THAT many. Big grin

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Canuck

Currently rotating 5 pairs:

2 pairs of Nike Vomeros of different ages

1 pair of NB 890v2

1 pair of Saucony Kinvara

1 pair adidas adiZero Bostons

I live in a rainy climate, so can't wear the same pair every day.  Plus, I love buying running shoes.  I'm not into buying work/casual shoes like my friends (and other women I know) are, so running shoes are my vice.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)