Beginners and Beyond

Race Report w/Photos: Head For The Cure 5K for Brain Cancer (Read 39 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #18 for me for 2013 on Sunday March 17.  My 2nd 5K of the weekend, as I did Donovan's Run 5K on March 16.  This one was in Austin, so I was up at 4:30 a.m., got some breakfast and drove up to Austin.   This event raised money for Head For The Cure Foundation in support of brain cancer research.   I dedicated this one to my good friend Bernadette, in honor and memory of her dad.  This was an inaugural event, and had maybe 300 - 400 participants.  Held at the home of the Texas Military Forces, Camp Mabry, so many thanks to the installation commander and his folks for hosting us.  Kind of a gray day, lots of cloud cover, very warm - around 63 or so at the start, with a bit of a wind blowing, and very humid.   I ended up with a finish time of 34:10.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Well, I loaded all my stuff into my car the night before so I would not forget anything.  So I did have my usual camera with me. Unfortunately, I was charging the camera battery, but forgot to take the battery out of the charger and put it into the camera..duhhhh! Roll eyes  So I ended up having to use my phone to take photos..which I hate doing because I am a technology idiot, so taking phone photos drives me crazy...I much prefer my 'idiot' camera that is just right for me, lol.  Well, a few of the photos came out kind of blurry, but not too bad for a technology idiot taking them; but my apologies in advance to my photo subjects, and thanks so much for your patience!

Before The Start

Got to the start about an hour before  8 a.m. start time and took some pre-race photos.

Your host for this report, me in all my green attire

This sign welcomed everyone to the event

We were adjacent to the large dirt-and-gravel track that winds around a big field for a mile..  Running on this mile track makes you feel like you are not really on a track at all since you don't do the usual track loops.   As you run along, you pass by several plane displays such as this one.

The sound of the 'pipes' greeted us as we arrived, played by this guy

Then it was over to the start/finish area

Where I had a nice chat with these two lovely ladies as we waited to get going

ON THE COURSE

For those who may have done 5Ks at Camp Mabry before, this course was not the 'usual' course used that I was familiar with.  We did pretty much the same course up to the turn-around point at the top of the long hill, but on the way back, we turned right toward the main gate, then left and went down a long hill, and then climbed yet another hill behind some of the post buildings, ending up back on the main road that took us right back to the finish - so this course did not take us back around the parade field like the other course does.  Very nice course, but a little hillier than the usual Camp Mabry 5K course.

At about the half mile point...

After the first hill - The Long Hill - we climbed, people heading for and from the turn-around point

One more hill to climb before we finished.   This one was shorter...but steeper.  Up this hill, and around the curve...

And 'part two' of the hill was waiting....

Ahhh, flat again, and about a half mile to go...

AFTER THE RACE

One of the folks honored and recognized at the post-race festivities...brain cancer survivor with his son

More "Happy Finishers" and Supporters

I was lucky enough to have this lovely lady near me for most of the race.  Quite motivating to help keep an old man moving forward.Big grin

There were several 'teams' there too.  These guys were part of team "FU Cancer".  As the Race Director said about the team name "Couldn't have said it better myself!"  FU Cancer was one of the bigger, if not the biggest, team at the event.  I saw lots and lots of folks there with the team shirt on.

EPILOG

A very well organized and nice event for a great cause, held at a great venue.   Some nice post-race goodies, various brands of really good muffins - I indulged in a chocolate chip one - cliff bars, water, bananas, some other stuff.  I went to the water table and got some water post-race and jokingly told the volunteer there "What, no Guinness on St. Patrick's Day?"  Oh well, I had my share at my event on Saturday, so water was just fine.   I hope this one will get bigger  and even better over the years, it really was nicely done and it is for a great cause. Would definitely do this one again.

Oh, and thanks to LRB on the forum here, who directed me to Photobucket for getting the photos posted on this site.  As an official Technology Idiot, I need all the help I can get!  So thanks, LRB!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice race and report Scotty! You need to "seize the technology"!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scotty your race schedule is exhausting me!  It's nice of you to do an inaugural event (always feel like you're helping them get started in that way) and to honor your friend and her father too.  You're looking good in the St. Patty's green.  The course looked pretty challenging too, and it seemed like a nice collection of runners.  Keep up the good work.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Good stuff, Scotty.

<3

B-Plus

If you ever stop racing, please keep going to races to take lots of pics to share with us. Congrats on your continued insane race schedule.

GinnyinPA

That's a nice turnout for an inaugural race.  Thanks for the RR.  Looks like a lot of hills, but what goes up, must go down, so I suppose it evens up.

Mostly harmless

Thanks for the awesome report and pics.  You are king of the race reports!

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mmmmm...beer

Great job Scotty!  Always love your RRs!  I agree with SIAR, doing an inaugural event is good, ensures they'll come back next year and the more races the better! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Nice to see runners in shorts.

Zelanie

Scotty- I'm glad that you were able to run this one.  My dad is a brain cancer survivor.  He had surgery and radiation in 1999 (I think), and is still doing well today!  He had a long road back to recovery after his surgery, though.

And nice job getting the photos up on photobucket!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Scotty- I'm glad that you were able to run this one.  My dad is a brain cancer survivor.  He had surgery and radiation in 1999 (I think), and is still doing well today!  He had a long road back to recovery after his surgery, though.

And nice job getting the photos up on photobucket!

Well, then, I now know whose name will be on my bib for next year's race.  Smile

Give your father all my best!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

BruceD555

Does this mean you can teach an old dog new tricks (ala Photobucket)? (not calling you old, BTW) As usual, a fabulous photo-journaled race report in spite of the forgotten battery.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Zelanie

Will do! Smile

Well, then, I now know whose name will be on my bib for next year's race.  Smile

Give your father all my best!

SheCan

Gotta admit, I looked at the pictures first and wondered by they were blurrier then usual!

Great job on the race!  What a good cause.  Looks like a pretty good race even if they didn't have beer.  Well, at least you planted the idea, and now they have a year to remedy the situation.   Congratulations on race #18 for the year!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I had a quick moment for lunch.  So, I thought I'd check your RR.  I knew I could run through some quick pictures :-)  I'll try to read more of it tonight.  Congrats on another race Scotty.  I always enjoy your RR's.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013