Beginners and Beyond

Shoes, Drafting, Etc.... (Read 43 times)

onemile

Any women on here run in the vaporfly? I thought about jumping on the bandwagon for a racing shoe, but it being technically all men’s sizing makes me nervous

Me, Lauren, Bluerun, Damaris and ROS have tried them (I think that is everyone?)

For reference, I wear a women's size 9 and got the VF in a 7.5

Docket_Rocket

Any women on here run in the vaporfly? I thought about jumping on the bandwagon for a racing shoe, but it being technically all men’s sizing makes me nervous

I have the 4%, the Next% and the Pink% (that's how I call it).  I wear the Men's 8 which is the 9.5 for women's.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RunningOnSand

yep, I wear a Women's 11, and got a 9.5 in the Vaporflys. I tried the Next 4%, but given that 1) I am not really racing anymore, and 2) the fit was off, I decided to send them back.

I did notice a huge difference when I started racing in the Vaporflies, but then my training went to shit and the last 2 races I ran in them, I didn't notice a difference. I'm not sure if that's because of my iron levels being so low, or I'd lost a bunch of fitness, or whatever. Probably a combination of many different things.

If I ever decide to start training again, I'd like to compare the NB 1400s (which I love) and the Vaporflies.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Freesoul,  an overly simplistic way to think about the shoes is run a mile in work boots.  Then run one in your normal running shoes.

onemile

If I ever decide to start training again, I'd like to compare the NB 1400s (which I love) and the Vaporflies.

I'm not convinced they are faster than the Adios. My thought is they might save your legs from taking such a pounding since they are so much more cushioned (yet super light - lighter than the Adios)

Docket_Rocket

yep, I wear a Women's 11, and got a 9.5 in the Vaporflys. I tried the Next 4%, but given that 1) I am not really racing anymore, and 2) the fit was off, I decided to send them back.

I did notice a huge difference when I started racing in the Vaporflies, but then my training went to shit and the last 2 races I ran in them, I didn't notice a difference. I'm not sure if that's because of my iron levels being so low, or I'd lost a bunch of fitness, or whatever. Probably a combination of many different things.

I think you and I spoke about our legs feeling the same way while running in them. I think it was our nutrient deficiency. Worth trying them out again.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You thinking that there isn't a huge amount of difference in racing in the Ravenna vs the Next% doesn't mean there isn't a huge difference. There is a huge difference.

Unfortunately I could never find out, my pronation thingy wouldn't allow me to  I'd be having all sorts of issues... or so the LRS has lead me to believe, along with the few stupid decisions I've made trying other shoes and immediately getting shin issues.

I am reading the Outsideonline article by Sweat Science, apparently the 5 fastest record-eligible marathons in history have all been run in the last 13 months - and they've all been run in versions of Nike's Vaporfly.

It goes on to say that "There's no longer any room for doubt about the massive effects of shoes with carbon fiber plates". Still sounds like rocket science to me, lol.

Now I'm freaking jealous.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Freesoul,  an overly simplistic way to think about the shoes is run a mile in work boots.  Then run one in your normal running shoes.

Okay, yeah work boots... lol hell I've ran around in regular hiking boots and notice the difference.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Did you see Ryan Hall's post?

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Runshortii

Interesting. I did see that the IAAF is planning on investigating the shoe

LOL, “athletes of all brands”.

Dave

onemile

LOL, “athletes of all brands”.

Sara Hall is sponsored by Asics so can't wear the Nikes

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

He makes such a well considered point, but then he uses "irregardless." 

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Ryan Hall would have happily worn those shoes if he still ran and was a Nike athlete.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Ryan Hall would have happily worn those shoes if he still ran and was a Nike athlete.

^ This.

Damaris

Fundraising Page