Beginners and Beyond

Ryan Hall is Self/God Coached Again (Read 145 times)

Love the Half

Hadn't seen this posted.

Hall Leaves Canova

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Glad you found that, Brad.  I saw something the other day on his twitter that had me thinking, "Where's Canova?"  That explains it.

i am very glad he's already done 3 races this year.  That's a good sign!  I am excited to see what he does at his first full but so far, so good.

I just can't help but think that he should get together with Alberto Salazar.  Even just to try it.  If it doesn't work out, great but he's not getting any younger and I'd like to see if Alberto could do anything for him before time runs out!

Randy

Docket_Rocket

He has tried others and change approaches, so what does he have to lose, right?

Glad you found that, Brad.  I saw something the other day on his twitter that had me thinking, "Where's Canova?"  That explains it.

i am very glad he's already done 3 races this year.  That's a good sign!  I am excited to see what he does at his first full but so far, so good.

I just can't help but think that he should get together with Alberto Salazar.  Even just to try it.  If it doesn't work out, great but he's not getting any younger and I'd like to see if Alberto could do anything for him before time runs out!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Are there many elite runners who are self-coached?

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

meaghansketch

Don't know what to think about this.  I feel like the vast majority of people will benefit from a coach, and it seems like Hall wasn't exactly running at his best when he was self-coached previously.  If he feels like he will do better without a coach, that is certainly his decision to make, it just doesn't seem to me to be the best choice, given his history.

Love the Half

Are there many elite runners who are self-coached?

No.  There are quite a few sub-elites who are trying to make it to the elite level who are self coached but I can't think of any other than Hall at the world class level who are self coached.  I'm sure there are a few.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Meat Wagon

Puker

I'm usually a cynic and I'm not a big fan of Hall, but I've long suspected that Hall has been avoiding elite coaches in an effort to stay away from PEDs. I also could be totally wrong on this. It's just a hunch and maybe he's always been doped to the gills or maybe it has nothing to do with PEDs at all.

However, the Kenyan doping scandal has certainly cast a shadow on Canova. So when I heard that Hall was going to be coached by Canova, I just took it as a signal that he knew he could no longer be a top international runner without doping and he was going to give it a whirl before he got too old. By leaving Canova, maybe he changed his mind or he was truly ignorant of the prevalence of PEDs in the Rift Valley or he's just weird and can't keep a coach. 

Feel sick and dirty, more dead than alive.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I should say too that it would satisfy a doubly selfish idea for me as I would love to see what Rupp, Farah *AND* Hall training would look like.

i know Ryan runs a lot with his brother, his wife and used to run with Josh Cox and others on the Mammoth Lakes club but in that group, I believe Ryan was always fastest anyway.  Can you imagine what it would be like having to try and stay with Rupp and Farah in 10k type training sessions? (Not that Alberto wouldn't change up Ryan's specific routine but I can only imagine they'd do *some* running together)

And the doubly delicious part for me would be getting to see if Rupp could test the waters in the marathon.  THAT would be awesome, IMHO!

But for now, I wait.

Randy

B-Plus

I should say too that it would satisfy a doubly selfish idea for me as I would love to see what Rupp, Farah *AND* Hall training would look like.

i know Ryan runs a lot with his brother, his wife and used to run with Josh Cox and others on the Mammoth Lakes club but in that group, I believe Ryan was always fastest anyway.  Can you imagine what it would be like having to try and stay with Rupp and Farah in 10k type training sessions? (Not that Alberto wouldn't change up Ryan's specific routine but I can only imagine they'd do *some* running together)

And the doubly delicious part for me would be getting to see if Rupp could test the waters in the marathon.  THAT would be awesome, IMHO!

But for now, I wait.

Obviously I don't know any of these people, but for some reason I don't see it being a good match. I don't know why, I just don't see it.