Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race 35: SA Youth Series 5K (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more.

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252035%2520SA%2520Youth%2520Series%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 35th race of 2019 was the Run SA Youth Series 5K at Southside Lions Park East in San Antonio on June 2nd. Run SA Youth provides accessible, free and incentivized workout programs to kids from all backgrounds and neighborhoods. Packet pickup on Race Day only, with a kids run first, then a disabled participants start, and the 5K starting.   I arrived with about 45 minutes to start time, got my packet and my timing chip and then got a few random pre-start photos.

<cite>Our music and sound lady</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0215_zps0krelykr.jpg</cite>

Team Ainsley's Angels - San Antonio.  This is an amazing group of people that do several races.  Ainsley's Angels is a national organization and has teams in several cities.   <cite>
    </cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0212_zpsv0baxhpx.jpg</cite>

<cite> </cite>

<cite>Various photos, participants, supporters, volunteers, etc.
    </cite>

<cite>  photo IMG_0214_zpsmcz47qhq.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0216_zpsqs2fs7ne.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0217_zps0qjcdsbh.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0218_zpsuqcvgily.jpg</cite>

<cite>This is Storm, who also did the race.  I can remember the dog's name, but I forgot the lady's name, lol, dog that I am.  </cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0220_zps75d77xgx.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0221_zpsz1ktslgt.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0222_zpsopvekdrt.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0223_zpspmmo1bew.jpg</cite>

<cite>Ainsley's Angels getting ready to start.  They started about 15 minutes before the rest of us</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0224_zpsa2p7nerd.jpg</cite>

<cite>Jose, of iaap, and Kristine of E-Dragon, for the timing, results, etc. The iaap guy behind them is holding up that tree, so it won't fall on them.   Wink </cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0225_zpsrlajwkuu.jpg</cite>

<cite>Erik Burciaga, our race director</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0226_zpskezfbtfs.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0227_zpsiyulxfgn.jpg</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0228_zpsuoulfbcp.jpg</cite>

<cite>Project Phoenix, which has quite a large running/walking group in San Antonio, and they also do volunteer community projects</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0230_zpsdugd7zq7.jpg</cite>

<cite>I am in this pack somewhere, looking ahead as we get ready to start</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0231_zps3ebvuxt3.jpg</cite>

<cite>And looking back..</cite>

<cite> photo IMG_0232_zpsanlfkmir.jpg</cite>

ON THE COURSE

After the kid’s race and the chair start, the rest of us got started around 7:45 a.m.  Usual Texas weather for the start of June – warm and humid, with a temp in the mid-70’s already and humidity at about 80-something percent.  Yeah, you could feel it a bit…but hey, you live in Texas, you just deal with it and get it done.

The course was on the off-road paved trails of the park, with a bit of it on one of the park roads, so a surface mix of both asphalt and concrete. The route was mainly flat with a couple of small inclines, and it passed by the man-made lake in the park.   It was really very humid and my legs were feeling a bit the 5K I had done the day before, so I just took it easy and took a couple of extra photo breaks.  Ended up with a chip time of 35 minutes and change, which was good enough for 2nd in my age group.  What also helped me place was that there were only 3 in my age group, lol. Nicely thought-out route, a tad different than the normal 5K course used in this park. This park is part of the San Antonio Greenways system of parks and connects with trails in other parks, so you can really get in a good long run, bike ride, or walk in this park.  There is also lots of shade on the trails of this park, which was a blessing on a humid day.

About a  half-mile into the course. This was a little parking area where we did a loop-around and headed back the way we had come

photo IMG_0233_zpskzzeunt4.jpg

photo IMG_0234_zpss39zooqf.jpg

I think this guy's ex was looking for him, so he hid is identity..  

photo IMG_0235_zpsl16mfodt.jpg

photo IMG_0236_zpseia5gw8p.jpg

photo IMG_0237_zpsgoprkn7x.jpg

On the trails that will take me to the turn-round point.  The first Ainsley's Angel team heading back to the finish.

photo IMG_0238_zpskzbctbix.jpg

Unlike a race I did a couple of weeks ago, this bridge did not bounce when we ran across it, thank goodness.

photo IMG_0239_zpskn8itef9.jpg

photo IMG_0240_zpspptclzgl.jpg

Heading for the light, lol...the young guy in front of me is the son of my friend Ralph.  We were in proximity to each other for most of the race.

photo IMG_0241_zpsoth8m5se.jpg

photo IMG_0242_zps6lhxnfol.jpg

photo IMG_0243_zpsinb4uxag.jpg

photo IMG_0244_zpstlqztjku.jpg

Water stop volunteers...they did not have any beer..     At this point I had already made the turn-round and come back and now had just a tad over 1/2 mile to go to the finish.

photo IMG_0245_zpsiy8htye4.jpg

Passing by the fountain in the man-made lake of the park

photo IMG_0246_zps38csg7gw.jpg

After that, nonstop to the finish.   35 minutes and change.  2nd in my age group.  Of course, it helped that there were only three IN my age group, lol.

AFTER MY FINISH

After I finished, I got a couple of photos of some others coming into the finish, that I had been near on the course.  Then I got a nice cold bottle of water and a banana, and went and sat in my nearby parked car with the A/C on full blast – Ahhhhhh! – and rehydrated and cooled down for about 10 minutes.  After that, back out to get some post-race photos, enjoy some more goodies – including cold, sliced watermelon, courtesy of Project Phoenix folks, really hit the spot – and chat with friends.

Some people coming in a few minutes after I finished....

photo IMG_0247_zpstley39hq.jpg

photo IMG_0248_zpsukhpy4vg.jpg

photo IMG_0249_zpsflunwqaf.jpg

photo IMG_0250_zpseptwnxyx.jpg

Various post-race photos

photo IMG_0251_zpshi30cvls.jpg

photo IMG_0252_zpsriyjm6cg.jpg

Gabby, one of the  SA Youth Series organizers, with three cuties.  Iced towels were handed out post-race and to finishers after they crossed the finish line; the water stop on the course also gave them out; appreciated on this humid race day.

photo IMG_0253_zpsrxi7hr6s.jpg

photo IMG_0254_zpskqudz70z.jpg

My friend on the left placed in his age group.  Nice carved 'tile' age group award.

photo IMG_0255_zpsta5oylfp.jpg

Age group placer

photo IMG_0256_zpsa588d2t8.jpg

With friend Alejandra

photo IMG_0257_zpsbqfdqipf.jpg

Team iaap members

photo IMG_0258_zpszyzcprue.jpg

The kid in the middle was overall winner - in 17-something.  I told him at 17 minutes, I was just past the halfway point, lol.

photo IMG_0260_zpslqquw9ym.jpg

With friend Erik

photo IMG_0261_zpsulwzbzzj.jpg

Race shirt, nice quality cotton tee

photo IMG_0262_zpszvmmc4m5.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a very nice event put on and supported by Erik Burciaga, his family, and his company, E-Dragon Productions (custom printing of shirts and more and they also put on several good “Dragon’s Den” race events… (https://www.edragonpro.net )  as well as local race management company iaap (www.iaapweb.com) , which I consider one of the Top 3 race management companies in our local area.  The Iniguez family does great things for the running community through this company.  Nice quality race shirts, very unique ‘tile’ age group awards, nice course, and a really good cause for the community kids.  Have done SA Youth Series in the past and will continue to do them in the future.

Much thanks to all the people who made this one happen for us:  Our co-race director, Gabby, and all the volunteers for this one; Lana of iaap for doing the MC duties; law enforcement (in this case, park police) out there for us; all the event sponsors, including Project Phoenix team that provided some nice goodies, and Camp Gladiator which contributed the raffle prize, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you so much for what you do so we participants can have this event.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt