Beginners and Beyond

Status Quo ThursDAILIES (Read 46 times)

Cyberic

Actually, I'm glad I'm in. I might be rubbing elbows with the likes of LRB, Jay, lily, BP, ... ,

Oh and there might be Kenyans there too

onemile

Actually, I'm glad I'm in. I might be rubbing elbows with the likes of LRB, Jay, lily, BP, ... ,

Oh and there might be Kenyans there too

As you should be! As much I hated training through the winter, I don't regret doing it Smile

There is an endurance test for dogs called the AD (Ausdauerprüfung), which is a 20km run - 12.5 miles or so.  The handler bikes alongside the dog during this test.  It sounds like any healthy young GSD can do it.

Interesting! From the google:

During the AD test, the dog trots next to the handler, who is riding on a bicycle, for a total of 12.5 miles (20 KM) at a pace of 7.7 to 9.5 MPH (12-15 KMPH). The test contains a 15 minute rest period at the 5 mile (8 KM) mark and another 15 minute break when the dog has completed 9.4 miles (15 KM). During the rest periods, the judge checks the dog for tender or worn pads, overall fatigue or poor condition. The judge dismisses any dog that is not fit to continue. After completing the full distance, there is a 20 minute rest period followed by a short obedience routine.

That's pretty fast! Although with the rest periods, I guess it's more like tempo intervals. All I know is that after a run like that, I would never pass an obedience test.

Dave

Jill.

Penguin Power!

There is an endurance test for dogs called the AD (Ausdauerprüfung), which is a 20km run - 12.5 miles or so.  The handler bikes alongside the dog during this test.  It sounds like any healthy young GSD can do it.

My little sister has a German short haired pointer who has gone on training runs of up to 18 miles with her.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)