Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Shamrock Shuffle 5K (Read 9 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

Put on by iRun Texas, The Shamrock Shuffle 5K was my 19th race of 2016. There was also a 1K kids run. Event was held at Wheatley Heights Stadium, a local sports and events venue with football field, track, etc. Weather was beautiful, a bit overcast but 62 degrees, low dew-point.   By the time of the 8:30 a.m. start the sun was even starting to peek out a bit. By the time we all finished, very nice and sunny and pleasant day. Just under 200 finishers for the 5K. In my age group (60-64) my chip time finish was 31:56, 6th out of 7 people in my age group. The 5 guys ahead of me all finished under 30 minutes. There are some very speedy local runners in my age group, lol. So my strategy is to just try and outlive them all.

On to the photos! I do tend to take a LOT of photos at the events I do. So if you’d rather just see photos only without my “pithy comments” you can check out the slideshow of this event at this link:  http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2019%20Shamrock%20Shuffle%205K

BEFORE THE START

Wheatley Heights is a very nice facility, and right near the stadium are greenway trails, making this a nice base to use for races, training runs, cycling, walking, etc.

photo 027_zps12zfu1ka.jpg

photo 028_zpseyanqq30.jpg

Me and my speedy pal, Bernadette

photo 011_zpsp2c9k1v7.jpg

iRun Texas folks doing it for us

photo 003_zps7z30iqaw.jpg

photo 004_zpsz8qdzlqf.jpg

photo 005_zpsefjbezm8.jpg

photo 008_zps1xrvub7g.jpg

photo 009_zpsfakww7eh.jpg

photo 029_zpswkb7ktth.jpg

photo 058_zpsfs6elcum.jpg

Co-Owner of iRun Texas, Mitch Allen (left), all-around great guy and pretty speedy runner himself those times he gets to actually do a race.   Who is his co-owner, you aks? His wife. She's the majority owner.  At least, she is if Mitch is smart. 

photo 020_zpsedv9pgez.jpg

Mark Purnell (left) our MC.  He does a lot of events and always does a great job.  For those of you who know John Purnell, Mark is John's 'little brother"   and as you can see, Mark ages better than John.  

photo 006_zpsqqbv2jv8.jpg

Some of the others before the start

photo 002_zps54fqewsk.jpg

Photo bombed!

photo 001_zpsrj1rdj6k.jpg

photo 010_zps0sjdak6o.jpg

photo 014_zpsladdvyrf.jpg

photo 015_zpslrvmsgim.jpg

I jokingly asked this guy why he didn't have a Viking helmet on with that name on his shirt

photo 016_zpsaou9dojc.jpg

photo 017_zps7j5c8rib.jpg

photo 018_zpskoyrs67e.jpg

photo 022_zpsh1ie5ui8.jpg

photo 023_zpsecp43ych.jpg

photo 024_zpslaqdtpi0.jpg

photo 025_zpsih66o26v.jpg

photo 026_zpsdpc4ubfh.jpg

photo 031_zpsjw0beeyy.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Before the 5K got started, the kids did their event - 2 laps around the track.

photo 019_zps7ge0wkp4.jpg

photo 021_zpswb87ddnr.jpg

We started with one lap around the stadium, then out onto the stadium access road-and-parking area which took us one of the greenway trail systems. Down this trail to a turn-around point and then back the way we came, finishing up with a return lap back around the track. Pretty much a very flat course, with only a couple of minor inclines that you can’t really call hills. Made for a very speedy course for the front-of-the-pack runners.

Getting ready to start

photo 030_zpsk759vpbh.jpg

photo 032_zpsdaa1gqx1.jpg

On the trails

photo 033_zpsw2mbdtws.jpg

photo 034_zpseoyeuiet.jpg

photo 035_zpssm549uri.jpg

photo 036_zpsfiiuwcyi.jpg

photo 037_zps8bjasen4.jpg

photo 038_zpsisywc1fh.jpg

photo 039_zpsa9qlac5i.jpg

photo 040_zpssm9cgh4h.jpg

photo 041_zpsuoznrhmz.jpg

photo 042_zpsdwvdrb0y.jpg

photo 043_zps63ekgozj.jpg

photo 044_zpsjcjx1mf5.jpg

photo 045_zpsliuv1pqo.jpg

photo 046_zps7s7rhqub.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Tired but happy doggie after my 2nd 5K of the March 12 - 13 weekend.

photo 047_zpsfviszmfo.jpg

Yay Beer! Shiner IPA post-race.  I may not have gotten an age group award..but I got beer!

photo 060_zpswlukg6iu.jpg

Lots of ‘happy finishers’, volunteers, supporters, etc

This lovely lady in the middle told me to quit calling her "Ma'am" and call her by her name.  Yes ma'am.    It's my military training, it becomes ingrained in you.  Especially when you serve 20+ years.

photo 048_zpseuehzvwq.jpg

photo 049_zpskwxzubvb.jpg

Me and Mitch have an angle...cuz we're both a little warped...

photo 050_zpsftrzluyh.jpg

There we are...

photo 052_zps8w6kfmzp.jpg

photo 053_zpsiehqsey3.jpg

photo 054_zpscyadpnir.jpg

photo 055_zpsbidl9ock.jpg

photo 056_zps7e6oesjg.jpg

photo 057_zpss79yczki.jpg

photo 059_zpseiyhloef.jpg

photo 061_zpsscxynuyo.jpg

photo 062_zpsychuz9yv.jpg

Overall female, my very speedy friend Liza

photo 063_zpsiytktyav.jpg

Liza and proud family

photo 071_zpsopfjth3g.jpg

My new friend SHEILA - not ma'am - got a medal too

photo 064_zpsmkqhmkij.jpg

As usual, Bernadette placed too; today 1st in her age group

photo 068_zpscimj9lfw.jpg

photo 065_zpsmfxxhkdg.jpg

Other placers

photo 066_zpspgsjjar4.jpg

photo 067_zpstruwjyzo.jpg

photo 069_zps8uxtptjp.jpg

photo 070_zpsnoufxy6i.jpg

EPILOGUE

As usual for iRun Texas, another really good event put on. Nice race bibs – timing chip on the bib, so no shoe chip to deal with, which I liked because with my mild arthritis in my hands and fingers, I tend as I get older to have trouble gripping small things – like those darn ties for the shoe chips; I usually have to find someone to put my shoe chip on for me, lol – although the D-tags are not bad as they are just stick-on; but those ‘regular’ square timing chips are a personal pain for me; so I was happy to see the timing bibs for this one. Well organized event and a really nice course for this one.   Over the years, I’ve done several events at Wheatley Heights. Most of the events have the course starting just outside the stadium. Personally, I like this iRun Texas course the best for this venue. Starting a little farther back on the track, the out-and-back is not as far to go on the trail and you get the nice experience of finishing inside the stadium around the track – which is very flat making for a speedier finish – if you have the energy left, of course, to pick up the pace after 3 miles – and a nice bonus is that softer track surface at the finish, well, your legs certainly appreciate that. Kudos to whomever at iRun laid out this course for us. I wish every 5K held here would use this course! Well done on this event, iRun! Course setup, timing, race goodies, etc, all good. Definitely would do this one again.

MUCHO thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, EMTs, course set-up and race timing/results folks, etc! All the folks who do all the work to make this one happen for us participants.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Ric-G

Nice pics Scotty...looks like the sun decided to make an appearance too!

marathon pr - 3:16

GinnyinPA

Nice course - no wonder the times were so good.  Bit foggy for Texas.

LRB

The sky was weirded out for the the early part. And lol at calling that chick ma'am.