Beginners and Beyond

Let's talk chafing! (Read 128 times)

There is some truth to that.

I got a toe blister wearing the same socks and shoes I had always worn, the only difference that day was is was hot, and sticky, icky, icky. Of course, a short run in the same conditions would likely have yielded no problems, but that it was a 20 mile run, it did. So distance can be a factor sometimes, but yes, heat and moisture often play a bigger role.

Time + heat + moisture.  Only time I've gotten blisters on my toes was the day I did 8 miles on a very hot & humid day this summer.  Took a little over two hours.  Same socks and shoes I'd worn before and since, same paved rolling hills I was running over.  I'd done the time before and the heat and humidity before, but not that long on that hot and humid a day.

RSX

I used to have 1 singlet I could never wear for 10+. It was fine for daily 6 milers.

Will run for scenery.

In the interest of chafing science.....

I have a favorite pair of shorts with a nice zip pocket in them, big enough to hold credit card, DL, and a car key.  Last night, I needed them for a pub run, but they were, uh, in the "already worn pile".  I wore them anyway.  Little bit of chafing.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

I think that it has more to do with heat and humidity than with distance. I got my worst chafing EVER on a seven mile run. It was so bad that I couldn't run for a week. I was wearing a pair of shorts that I had been wearing for months with no problem and routinely run longer than seven miles. But it was the middle of summer and heat and humidity were high. Think about what happens when you blanche a piece of fruit - put heat and humidity on it and the skin peels right off.

My advice is, if you have a chafing episode with a piece of gear, limit that piece to shorter runs (3-5 miles) and always make sure to wear your Body Glide. Also consider compression shorts. I have not had any chafing issues since I switched to them.

I am the opposite. The more humid, the better and less chafing.  Then, again, I am running and sweating like it's pouring rain kind of humidity.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've experienced a couple cases of chafing this year, the first time in 45 years of running. I think it's a combination of a little weight gain, a very hot, humid summer, and long runs longer than I've ever run before both in distance and time, especially time. Oddly it's sporadic, unpredictable as to when I'll chafe and when I won't.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

slowrunningjulie

Then, again, I am running and sweating like it's pouring rain kind of humidity.

Me too. 85 degrees and 90% humidity for Tuesday's four miler. When I do wear shorts on a long run in the summer, the hem swings back and forth and sweat flies off it. It's kind of gross, but I figure that it might be a good deterrent for a mugger.

Upcoming:

July 27 - San Francisco marathon

LRB

When I do wear shorts on a long run in the summer, the hem swings back and forth and sweat flies off it.

I had that yesterday, flying off the elbows as well.  Yes, gui-ross.

Docket_Rocket

Wait, you guys don't experience that all year long?

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

RSX

Wait, you guys don't experience that all year long?

Before compression shorts that was a potential issue for me year round.