Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Like To Schedule Some "Me" Time (Read 185 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

They do let you run on the flight deck   My luck, Dave, I'd be running on the flight deck and a plane would hit me, lol.  Or I'd run into a plane.  I"m surprised you can run on a flight deck, seems like it would be awfully windy on an aircraft carrier.

Congrats, Tomas, looking forward to your report and the photos!  As for the game....stupid Texans!  Angry  Thought they had a shot there for a bit, they started playing kind of decently but it was too late in the game.

SO sorry about the knee, Kristin, that sucks!  Maybe the only way to fix it good is to be like me...have 4 surgeries on the knee and get a big ole screw put into it.  Wink  Seriously, hope you don't ever have to do that!

Had a flat tyre day.  TYRE?  Isn't that a city in the Middle East, Bin?  Didn't the Crusaders go there long ago?  Wink   Nice running over the weekend.

Enjoy your family time tonite, Zelanie. Good luck with those reading tests.

and students back on campus.  Yeah, HsM, us too.  I was going to the university gym today after work, but a bud of mine who works at the gym called me and said give it a few days, all the New Year's "resolutions" students are packing the place and there are lines to wait to use the equipment.    That will die down after about a week or so, if it's like last year, and then it will the 'regulars' again.  Meanwhile, thankfully, I have 4 military base gyms I can use.

How did the PT go, Lauren?

Happy running this afternoon, Jen16!  You can still run with DD1 you know....you both start out, she goes ahead and does and out...and then a back to where you are...then she just runs with you at your pace for your route as her 'cool-down' run, since she is much faster than you.  That way, you can still keep company with her for a while.

Good luck with the 5 tonite, Nightcrawler.  Sometimes it's nice to run when everyone else is asleep.  You know how hot our Texas summer days can be so sometimes I get up at 4 a.m. to get my run in for the day.  It is nice and peaceful and the whole world seems quiet. Makes me feel like I'm king of the whole domain around me, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

You are on a roll Scotty.  I was expecting that laughing his ass off smiley when I said I was about to take an SRD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

How did the PT go, Lauren?

Quite well Smile I get to try a test run when I go in on Thursday, so I'm pretty happy about that! Keeping up with my myriad of hip, foot, shin, calf exercises until then.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Jerry, you asked in my race report about Alamo Beer.

It is QUITE good.  They had a choice of a darker  and a "light blonde"    I chose the light blonde, so I wouldn't have to have a lengthy conversation with it....and it really was blonde...you could look through one side of it and see clear out the other side... Wink

I think the lighter one is called 'golden ale.'  It was quite good!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I called the orthopedic doctor that the asshat begrudgingly referred me to. The scheduling  secretary was out, so she is supposed to calk me tomorrow. Hopefully there is an available appointment soon!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I called the orthopedic doctor that the asshat begrudgingly referred me to. The scheduling  secretary was out, so she is supposed to calk me tomorrow. Hopefully there is an available appointment soon!

Good!  If there is something seriously wrong, you deserve a doctor that cares enough to find out what it is.  If there's nothing seriously wrong (as in some rest and rehab can fix it), then they shouldn't be discouraging you from running in the future.  That's just my opinion.  My doctor just says, "You're doing what?  Here are some precautionary things that I'd like you to do.".  That doesn't just apply to running.

He knows my entire family history, and my medical history and works with what I've been given...LOL  My favorite was when he had me try to manipulate my cholesterol through diet and exercise.  My numbers weren't bad, but I have a family member who struggles even when given medication.  He wanted to make sure that mine wasn't going to get out of control like that some day.  We found out that mine responds just as you would expect.  Now we know.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Sloooow.

Afternoon, everyone Smile

Kristen- I hope you get an appointment sorted out soon Sad

Philliefan- enjoy your rest day. Mini kitchen makeover sounds like fun!

Scotty- glad you caught sight of that bugger before he tried to mow you down!

Awood- congrats on the weightloss so far, I bet the extra weight being gone will make a big difference for you in your race.

Zelanie- best of luck with all the kids testing, sounds like a right pain.

Docket- well, I'm glad you are taking a rest day. I read your RR, sounded like a great experience. I got a little nervous reading that you had left your inhaler, but you definitely aced it!

I'm going to aim for 2/3 today. Last week I ran next to nothing due to being so sick. I'm feeling a bit better, still an ache in my head but hopefully this is the last of it. I have to be up at silly o-clock tomorrow to go to the hospital, getting the results of the CT scan I had a couple of months a go. Stomach is in knots, should be finding out if I need more surgery and what the next step is!

GinnyinPA

My back is better, but not yet healed, so I did a 4 mile progressive on the TM that left me feeling tired but happy.  Nice thing about not having a training plan right now - I can run by how I feel, as long as I don't get too ambitious.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

CoralieT - I hope everything is good.  I'm glad your feeling better.

Lauren - Lets hope all of those exercises pay off!!!  I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Ginny - Gotta love that tired, but happy feeling.  I know that not having a plan is fun for a lot of people.  I stress out when I don't have a plan.  That's odd too, because when I am on a trip or vacation I don't want any kind of structure.  I feel like committing to be at a certain place at a certain time can lead to me missing out on something better.  I'm a weirdo.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Sloooow.

Ginny- glad your back is feeling better, healing thoughts to you.

3 miles done @ 10:17 pace. On the treadmill as it's just me and the kids, but I opened the window in front of it and gave my 4 year old a big blanket, 35F outside.

Silly question, but my usual (treadmill) pace is 11:20-11:50. Would it be bad to bump my 3 mile runs to my pace today so I can get them done quicker? The run today felt pretty good, I didn't feel like I was overdoing it. I've been aiming to do two 3 mile runs, and two 2 mile runs a week.

Bin Running

Gustav, thanks for starting.. I am always for ME time.. and I get that every Thursday when DW and DS webt to stay at MIL place.. Big grin

Margo, congrats on the double milestone..

Jen, congrats on the 10M yday.. Enjoy the RD..

Mitch, Ladder intervals are tough.. Good luck with them..

Jerry, Enjoy the run..

Scotty, Nice deer! Enjoy the RD.. LOL on the heated roof comment.. Do you spell it as tire?

Awood, Good job with the weight loss.. What abt the chest building?

Bill, Woohoo in running bet rains.. You managed to dodge the droplets? Tongue

Dave, enjoy the voyage... Cruise to nowhere?

Kristin, sorry abt the knee.. Hope you find out what causes it and get it healed soon.

Mel, You get to hear the story 500x.. how cool is that? haa..

Damaris, Awesome on the race..

Tomas, you are an inspiration.. Feeling sore is in my book for long race.. SO relax and enjoy the victory.. Looking fwd to the RR..

Hopesmom, SOund like a wonderful day.. Freshman orientation for you?

Lauren, Glad the PT is working for u...

Jen16226, fast DD1 you have... I can't wait for the day when DS can run with me.. I am not sure if he felt the same.. ho ho ho..

Nightcrawler, have a great night run..

Coralie, Good job with that 3M.. I don't run on threadmill.. but if you feel ok with the new speed.. increase a little at a time shld prove no harm..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

hog4life

Ended up with URD, when I got off work, took DW to doctor, I think she's coming down with the crud. I'll go for the same planned workout tomorrow. I would run outside, but 33 degrees and rain, nope, I'll be a wuss on that one.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jerry, you asked in my race report about Alamo Beer.

It is QUITE good.  They had a choice of a darker  and a "light blonde"    I chose the light blonde, so I wouldn't have to have a lengthy conversation with it....and it really was blonde...you could look through one side of it and see clear out the other side... Wink

I think the lighter one is called 'golden ale.'  It was quite good!

I'll ask for it at my  LLS.  The Blonde sounds like a good choice.   Smile

3 mile "tempo" run today  on the nice warm track. Actually wasn't that bad outside, but we are very spoiled and very entitled.

Zelanie

Mel, You get to hear the story 500x.. how cool is that? haa..

Ugh, I know.  At least each grade level has their own stories.  But really what I get to hear are the same three lines of the story over and over and over again.