Beginners and Beyond

Penguins are feelin' good on Friday... (Read 35 times)

yup...serious fueling problem.  I think I'm having issues with my blood sugar.  I dunno.  It seems like it'd be an easy fix, but it hasn't been and my doctor (nurse practicianer really)  doesn't seem to want to know about it.  So I just keep trying different foods at different points in the runs and hope I don't end up ill miles from home.

Hmmmm, thanks, Docket, maybe I'm not drinking enough.  I really haven't done much with my hydration.  If anything, I tend to underfuel just because i've grown scared of so many foods while running.

i use dates many times. depending how long the run is will depend when I eat em. In the past, any thing 6 miles or more I was going to eat some every 30 min. I tried some gatorade brand gummy candy type thing. I didnt like it. I have used cliff bars. They didnt bother me at all. Taste good too Smile The one gel I had was durring a marathon and a chased it down with a beer, so I dont know what helped. I have never purchased a gel. I have heard that raisins are good too.

I have been trying to reduce the intake on runs, last weekend I figured out that 14 miles is probably the furthest I can go with out any fueling. I had it with me, and did drink water. I just didnt eat until I was at the house.

Damaris- have you planned your fueling for your 50K.

what, how much, how often?

- I appreciate any info you have to share too.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Pae, great run.

Tomas, it's slightly longer than a marathon so I am treating it the same.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Awood, used to be years ago when I got invited to one of the big seminars. Membership was included with registration fees, but no activity recently.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - I was hoping you'd be at the big deal they're putting on in May.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Pae, great run.

Tomas, it's slightly longer than a marathon so I am treating it the same.

What do you eat durring your races?

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I sneaked in a short run today because yesterday was an unscheduled rest day.  I COULD NOT SLOW DOWN!!!  Does that ever happen to anybody else?  I have a marathon pace long run tomorrow, and here I am trying and trying to slow down to a normal easy pace, and just can't.  This is not a usual problem for me.  I managed to pull it back to an 8:57 pace eventually, but the first mile was 8:30.  According to Garmin, even my in the slower miles I repeatedly went back to 8:30.  That was crazy.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

pae

I COULD NOT SLOW DOWN!!!  Does that ever happen to anybody else? 

Yes, that happens to me very frequently.  Hills help slow me down a little bit, but based on the people that I passed in the last couple of races I've done, hills don't seem to slow me down as much as they slow others.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I sneaked in a short run today because yesterday was an unscheduled rest day.  I COULD NOT SLOW DOWN!!!  Does that ever happen to anybody else?  I have a marathon pace long run tomorrow, and here I am trying and trying to slow down to a normal easy pace, and just can't.  This is not a usual problem for me.  I managed to pull it back to an 8:57 pace eventually, but the first mile was 8:30.  According to Garmin, even my in the slower miles I repeatedly went back to 8:30.  That was crazy.

Yes. Somedays I can't speed up lol.... but this morning, for example, I had to  f.o.r.c.e.  a recovery pace. I had to look at my garmin every few seconds and be like "Jesus, Kristin, SLOW DOWN!!!" My recovery pace is over 12:30.... I looked down and saw 10:40..... noooo!!!! lol. Finally got myself to 13:00. I had to keep telling myself, "YOU ARE JOGGING!!!!" I have a race Sunday, my ITB has not been great this week....fast was NOT in my best interest!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

I used to do that (I think I still do sometimes).  What slows me down is knowing that endurance is not built by running as fast as I can but rather by running as slow as necessary.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

What a great quote!!!!

I used to do that (I think I still do sometimes).  What slows me down is knowing that endurance is not built by running as fast as I can but rather by running as slow as necessary.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

That is an excellent way to put it Damaris.  I'm going to try to not make a habit of it unless I can get a race time to back up that I should be at that pace.  I imagine Sunday's run will be easy to slow down...lol  Tomorrow, I don't really have to worry about slowing down too much.  I just need to keep it around 9:12 for a couple of hours, and I'll be good :-)

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Dad on the run.

Hello fellow waddlers. Got me 4 in before work tonight. Expecting some snow tonight but nothing that will accumulate. It wasn't super cold outside but its been really windy lately for whatever reason. That wind is brutal when you are running into it. I have kept my watch settings the same I am still enjoying my runs much more. I did really well today keeping my pace close each mile. 9:45, 9:50, 9:44, 9:45. Knowing that I am learning what's a good pace for me to be able to hold over several miles is exciting!

One more night and its the weekend, only get 1 full day off though as I have to come back to work Sunday night but whatever. Its going to be one exciting day!

Tori - I didn't read these posts tonight so I'm responding to your facebook post but a huge CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you the best in your adventures of being an RN! That is a huge accomplishment and I really believe it takes a very special person to be able to do that job. Especially working on the floor that you will be working on. I know that I could not do it, I'm way to emotional (yea yea guys are "suppose" to be emotional) to be able to work in a place where the people I come to know may or may not live much longer. Kudos to you!!!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Nice job!

Hello fellow waddlers. Got me 4 in before work tonight. Expecting some snow tonight but nothing that will accumulate. It wasn't super cold outside but its been really windy lately for whatever reason. That wind is brutal when you are running into it. I have kept my watch settings the same I am still enjoying my runs much more. I did really well today keeping my pace close each mile. 9:45, 9:50, 9:44, 9:45. Knowing that I am learning what's a good pace for me to be able to hold over several miles is exciting!

One more night and its the weekend, only get 1 full day off though as I have to come back to work Sunday night but whatever. Its going to be one exciting day!

Tori - I didn't read these posts tonight so I'm responding to your facebook post but a huge CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you the best in your adventures of being an RN! That is a huge accomplishment and I really believe it takes a very special person to be able to do that job. Especially working on the floor that you will be working on. I know that I could not do it, I'm way to emotional (yea yea guys are "suppose" to be emotional) to be able to work in a place where the people I come to know may or may not live much longer. Kudos to you!!!