Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins are hibernating!! (Read 13 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey gang, I just got out of a meeting to discover no Penguins thread!!  So here 'tis.  I'm glad it's Friday, aren't y'all?  And I think I have no responsibilities this weekend, woo-hoo!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles!  No hybernating here. Stay warm!!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Have fun with your 5, Docket!!  I think all the Penguins might converge on your house for a party, just to get warm!!

Wandering Wally

Got my 5 miles in last night. "Rest day" today. I'll be working until pretty late though finishing up tax returns.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Evening pens!  Rest day for me after my red eye flight to Iceland. The woman next to me on the flight got indignant when I would not give up my aisle seat for her middle seat. DH and I always book window (him) and aisle (me) because he sleeps through the entire flight and I am awake the entire flight and get up and walk around several times because I can't sleep. Anyway this woman was huffy and kicked/nudged me the entire flight. Ugh.  Other than that Iceland has been cool so far. We went the Phallological museum and walked around downtown.  Tomorrow I'm going to try to run with a headlock when I wake up.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Sorry about the annoying seatmate!!  Rude folks on an airplane are the worst.

Phallological museum?  I bet that was interesting!!

Almost as interesting as running with a headlock.  Will DH be providing this service?

Zelanie

I don't get why people show up to flights and expect everybody else to make themselves uncomfortable just because they are somehow more special or something. Don't want a middle seat? Figure that out when you book your ticket if it's that much of an issue.

But glad you are there. How was the phallological museum? 

Docket_Rocket

I don't get why people show up to flights and expect everybody else to make themselves uncomfortable just because they are somehow more special or something. Don't want a middle seat? Figure that out when you book your ticket if it's that much of an issue.

But glad you are there. How was the phallological museum? 

In their defense, most airlines are not allowing you to choose seats at all and then stick you with seats at the last moment.  We travel 5-10 times a year and 90% of the time they won't let me choose seats even after checking in.  That's why we stopped buying from anywhere but directly through the airlines.  If you buy your flights with expedia and other companies, most won't let you get a seat.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

We drove to Apache Junction a day early so I can spend a little more time acclimating to the heat.  (It was 88 this afternoon.)  We drove most of the course and it will be a challenge.  The map shows it as mostly gentle downhill, all the little dips and rises don't show at all, though to be fair, the course is described as 'rolling'.  This may not be a PR for me, but it should be a good run anyway.  The mountains are beautiful and there are a few flowers blooming:  brittle bush, lantana and African daisies.