Beginners and Beyond

They Serve Beer? (Read 88 times)

Better I Leave

I didn't want to hijack Banshee's thread, but I've got to ask if what I read there is truth...

Beer is served along the course in some races? Seriously? I've only ran 5 sponsored races (3 HM, 2 10K), 8 if you include Tough Mudder, but I've never seen alcohol served at aid stations. This seems so wrong to me. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a nice glass of wine or a good ice cold beer, but while running? GAAAACK!

Docket_Rocket

I've only seen it during marathons.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Better I Leave

I've only seen it during marathons.

And participants partake?

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

While we never actually served beer on the course (the legality of that would be insane here), every year there was a house on the course that handed out beer to people, and several always partook.

I myself have been known to drink a little during a half, and a few shorter races I wasn't really running for time.

Something witty

Better I Leave

While we never actually served beer on the course (the legality of that would be insane here), every year there was a house on the course that handed out beer to people, and several always partook.

I myself have been known to drink a little during a half, and a few shorter races I wasn't really running for time.

I suppose, but the whole idea of drinking while running seems counter-intuitive even if just doing it for "shits and giggles". Afterwards is another story. But hey...it's all good, yeah?

RSX

I had someone offer me a beer while on a regular run once, but never during a race.

Village people

There is a 10 miler that serves Bloody Marys. It is in Salem, Mass.

LRB

There is a stand at mile 24 of the Free Press Marathon that hands out beer, but these people are not affiliated with the event.

And yes, I took what probably was 3-4 ounces of ice cold brewski.  I personally would not drink any more than that or any earlier than that.

At Grand Rapids, they have essentially all the beer you can drink after you complete the race, as one of the local breweries is an event sponsor.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I only know about beer on the course from RRs I've read on here. But I can attest that the Baltimore Running Festival that has a beer tent in "recovery village" and you get 2 beers for free as a runner who just completed on of the races (5K, HM, or full)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mostly harmless

At the Baltimore Marathon and Half Marathon there was beer offered.  The beer tables aren't sponsored by the race, just tables people set up in front of their house.  There were similar set-ups like that when I ran Frederick and last weekend at RnR in DC.  I can't remember if there was anyone offering beer at Shamrock last year but I wouldn't be surprised.  So yeah, it's pretty common at least around here.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

They did not have any beer on the 5K course last year! Boo.... maybe I will get some beer when I run the half this year. Honestly though I don't think I could drink beer when running!

At the Baltimore Marathon and Half Marathon there was beer offered.  The beer tables aren't sponsored by the race, just tables people set up in front of their house.  There were similar set-ups like that when I ran Frederick and last weekend at RnR in DC.  I can't remember if there was anyone offering beer at Shamrock last year but I wouldn't be surprised.  So yeah, it's pretty common at least around here.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

Yes!  Having an ounce of cold beer at the end of a marathon is very nice.

Most of my events also give a free beer at the end.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mostly harmless

They did not have any beer on the 5K course last year! Boo.... maybe I will get some beer when I run the half this year. Honestly though I don't think I could drink beer when running!

I failed to mention that the beer offered was Baltimore's own, National Bohemian! I wouldn't drink that crap on a bet, much less during a race. Big grin

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Little Blue

I read her RR, and and got the impression that the beer was served by the spectators.  I think I've heard that Disney, of all places, has beer around mile 20.  It must come from spectators.

Ball of Fury

Some people running the Disney marathon stop in Epcot and buy beer, but you would have to take over 5 or 5.5 hours since the World Showcase doesn't open til 11.  I do think some spectators were handing out beer prior to that.

I read her RR, and and got the impression that the beer was served by the spectators.  I think I've heard that Disney, of all places, has beer around mile 20.  It must come from spectators.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15