Beginners and Beyond

Most boring science study ever (Read 136 times)

Hip Redux

Gives new meaning to the term "watching paint dry".

Trinity College experiment

My favorite line from the video "The scientific value is questionable."

Love the Half

I'm reminded of the Isaac Asimov quote:

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries is not 'EUREKA' but 'hmm, that's funny.'"  I'm also reminded of the Higgs boson.  It was predicted to exist around 50 years ago and the Large Hadron Collider was built in no small measure to experimentally finally detect the existence of the Higgs particle.  That's roughly $7.5 billion spent to detect a particle the decays into lighter particles in some ridiculously short period of time - like 1/10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of a second.

Here is one of my favorite FB pages:

I fucking love science

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Sloooow.

Questionable? Haha! Maybe they give out prizes for the most pointless waste of time.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries is not 'EUREKA' but 'hmm, that's funny.'"  I'm also reminded of the Higgs boson.  It was predicted to exist around 50 years ago and the Large Hadron Collider was built in no small measure to experimentally finally detect the existence of the Higgs particle.  That's roughly $7.5 billion spent to detect a particle the decays into lighter particles in some ridiculously short period of time - like 1/10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000th of a second.

I fucking love science

Each particle that they detected cost $62.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I fucking love science

+1. I love that page a lot. IFLS and George Takei are easily the best things on my Facebook feed.

Hip Redux

I fucking love science

IFLS is mostly pirated stuff.  Hey, at least she's started to actually give credit now.  Roll eyes

Love the Half

I also like the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science but they post too much stuff.  Find one or, at most, two really good things a day.  That's all I want in my newsfeed.  Otherwise, I just unlike the business or organization.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I love that page a lot. IFLS and George Takei are easily the best things on my Facebook feed.

+1 on both. I am often tempted to just hide all my friends & just read these. They are also responsible for 95% of the humorous photos/graphics I send to people (or post here). Oh that and graphjam.com

LTH's Asimov quote reminds me of a recent IFLS post. which I guess I don't need to repost here since you have all seen it. It was series of popular internet memes representing the various stages of scientific experiments, how we think it is vs. how it actually is.

Dave

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gives new meaning to the term "watching paint dry".

Trinity College experiment

My favorite line from the video "The scientific value is questionable."

I wonder who 'pitched' the idea to the newspapers to get the experiment printed up? Joking

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I also like the Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science but they post too much stuff.  Find one or, at most, two really good things a day.  That's all I want in my newsfeed.  Otherwise, I just unlike the business or organization.

I like IFLS and Takei, but I don't subscribe; I just let my FB friends filter them for me.

LRB

An apple once fell from a tree and hit me atop my head, I have been eating fruit ever since.

Hip Redux

Philliefan33

Joke all you want, but "watching paint dry" is my job.  Really.

This link is to an article about my workplace.  Don't feel obligated to read it -- the only thing worse than watching paint dry is reading about it.  (I am not quoted or in any of the photographs.)

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/al_heavens/20120403_At_Dow_institute__their_business_is_watching_paint_dry.html

Hip Redux

Joke all you want, but "watching paint dry" is my job.  Really.

This link is to an article about my workplace.  Don't feel obligated to read it -- the only thing worse than watching paint dry is reading about it.  (I am not quoted or in any of the photographs.)

http://www.philly.com/philly/columnists/al_heavens/20120403_At_Dow_institute__their_business_is_watching_paint_dry.html

Riveting.  lol

Actually, paints and coatings are a huge market, especially from a corrosion standpoint, so I get the reason behind the studies.   But still not the most exciting thing in the world. :P

BexKix, Bagel Defender

Riveting.  lol

Actually, paints and coatings are a huge market, especially from a corrosion standpoint, so I get the reason behind the studies.   But still not the most exciting thing in the world. :P

We changed paint processes here at work... it's definitely one of those things that everyone takes a bit for granted until it isn't right.