Beginners and Beyond

Week 19: Penguins are going sightseeing! (05/06-05/12) (Read 6 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I'm not going sightseeing, so I'll have to live vicariously through Ginny.  It's National Tourism Day!!  So I'll be picking up the pieces this week from last week's crazy.  I'll be jumping through some hoops to replace my tech, our chorus is doing Mother's Day Serenades on Sunday, so Wednesday is the quartet's last chance to practice for those.  Thursday night is the chorus Installation Dinner, for which I made a cheesecake this weekend, so that's all good.

Though I haven't quite finished last week's bottle of wine, so I still have a buffer, if needed. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 7 miles tonight.  I had a nice and resting weekend but I wish it had been longer, lol.

HopesMom, sounds like a busy week!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so the fellows for whom I've been banging my head against a wall for days regarding their sample just got the data they needed, so that's all kinds of good.  One headache down!

Now I need to work on samples for someone else, and work on the hoops for filling my tech's position.

And in other news, Omaha steaks trump WalMart steaks so hard you can't even imagine.  Just sayin' ...

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates and 4 miles tonight.  Today is my boss' retirement party.

HopesMom, glad one headache is gone!   I have heard that the Omaha steaks are good but I have never tried them.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, getting my tech replaced is moving forward -- writing up the position description and the employee work profile so that we can get the job posted.  Then I need to write up my set of interview questions and get some input from the rest of my committee.  Being this close to graduation, I suspect we'll get plenty of at least slightly qualified applicants.  Hoping somewhere there's someone more than slightly qualified.

Getting my stuff together for promotion is moving ahead too.  I'll get access to our electronic Blackboard soon, and then I will continue to have access until mid-August, when I'll get shut out and my committee will get access to start reading.

I've been journaling a little in the mornings, which is good and all, but doesn't leave me time for yoga.  I think I'll switch journaling to lunch so that I can get back to yoga in the morning.

Except tomorrow morning, when I will need the extra time to finish decorating a cheesecake for the chorus potluck tomorrow night.

It just keeps rolling along!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 5 miles and OTF tonight.

You got me at cheesecake, HopesMom.  Hoping you get some good candidates.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Quartet was fun last night, and tonight is the chorus Installation Dinner, where we officially welcome our new officers and thank our outgoing ones.  As one of the outgoing, I will enjoy tonight very much!

The quartet got last-minute booked yesterday to sing Happy Birthday to one of our members' sister.  So I grabbed a free arrangement (lucky it's not exactly a difficult song), we spent an hour or so going through it, and then made the call.  We were a big hit, for our first paying gig! 

As for work ... well, let's just say I'll be glad when the weekend rolls around. 

Docket_Rocket

Me too!

I have 8 with strides and Pilates.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

So my tech decided, at 7:30 this morning, that he wasn't coming to work today.  Since he submitted his letter of resignation, his behavior has been pretty much completely unprofessional.  Very much like a high school senior in May looking at graduation in June and deciding to not bother with anything school related.

So now I get to initiate disciplinary proceedings, for what it's worth.  My tech is resigning at the end of May, although he's planning to stop working on the 25th and use some of his leave time after that.  So there's not much time for disciplinary action, but the first step is a verbal warning, which I will deliver on Monday.  Leave must be requested in a timely fashion.  An hour before your workday begins is NOT a timely fashion.

Joy.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, HopesMom.  Just because you resigned does not mean you shouldn't still be professional.  I wonder if he is trying to be released from the rest of the days.  Don't let him.

I have Pilates and that is it.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

He's quitting working for me to do home inspections, working for himself.  What he hasn't bothered to consider is that if the market turns, or if his business fails for some reason, he will need/want other employment.  And I will be his last reference.

His bridge is already pretty well burned for further employment anywhere at my university.  I can't imagine a future VCU person interviewing him wouldn't give me a call, and I will tell the truth.  But he's also not likely to get a positive reference for anywhere else from me.

Docket_Rocket

He's quitting working for me to do home inspections, working for himself.  What he hasn't bothered to consider is that if the market turns, or if his business fails for some reason, he will need/want other employment.  And I will be his last reference.

His bridge is already pretty well burned for further employment anywhere at my university.  I can't imagine a future VCU person interviewing him wouldn't give me a call, and I will tell the truth.  But he's also not likely to get a positive reference for anywhere else from me.

Yeah, he is stupid. You never know what will happen in the future and waiting for a couple more weeks won't hurt him.

Damaris

Fundraising Page