Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins Should Practice Random Acts Of Kindness! (Read 187 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Damaris - the foot/ankle is feeling a little better. The day after I exercise it, it is sore.

Kristin - I like that T.S. Eliot quote.

Awood - awesome is such an awesome word!

Yesterday was a rest day. I did sing "La Bamba" in Spanish at karaoke last night - my wife was impressed!

Everyone do something nice today!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Gustav, enjoy your rest.  Great song. Smile

Kitteh, welcome aboard, and great run!!  You're gonna rock your half!

I'll be running this afternoon, probably 10.

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Philliefan33

Good morning Gustav.

I'm usually not the first Penguin to post, everyone else must be sleeping in or out running already.

I think some of you are in the path of the blizzard...be safe out there! 

4-5 miles planned this afternoon for me.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Gustav  and Penguins  !!!

Looks like a rainout unless dw drags me to the track, which might not be so bad if the rain/snow keeps the walkers away.

Welcome Kitte. !!!!  Looking forward to your HM and of course, the baby.

Jerry   Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Gustav.

I'm usually not the first Penguin to post, everyone else must be sleeping in or out running already.

I think some of you are in the path of the blizzard...be safe out there! 

4-5 miles planned this afternoon for me.

Are you still doing the 10K this weekend Phil?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have not run in 3 days so I guess I'll have to run tonight.  Working from home so I just woke up (yay).

Gustav, hope the foot continues to feel better.

D2, enjoy the 10.

Phillie, hope your 4-5 go well.

Jerry, hope you get your run in!

Have a nice day.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Good morning!

Gustav- Yeah she chose a good quote. It is all around an awesome present! Hope you had fun at karaoke!

Dave- Enjoy the 10

Phillie- Have a good run tonight. Did yo decide to do the 10K?

Jerry- Good luck if you try to brave rain or snow to run!

Damaris- Haven't run in 3 days?? Looks like the world may really be ending. Haha kidding....enjoy your run tonight.

I like this random acts of kindness idea. On Tuesday, it was the anniversary of one of my coworker's friend's suicide. I guess he had been bullied. His family and friends decided to do random acts of kindness every year on the anniversary of his death to commemorate his life and make people smile. My co-worker gave a little gift to every single employee (over 200). Since I was a recipient this week of a RAoK, I am inspired to keep it going!

SRD for me. Coming down with a cold. UGH!!!! Sad

That snow storm is supposed to hit the midwest today right?? Stay safe....

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Docket_Rocket

*Giggle*.  Yes, but I needed the break so since the 2012 in 2012 finals are done, I took it.  I have two races left; no worries.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - I'd bet you're a blast at karaoke night.

Dave - At least you're being honest about your running today Big grin

Phillie - I saw that the rain we're getting right now is going to turn to snow around 7.  Good thing I'll be taking a cab tonight.

Jerry - I'm pretty sure I'll be on a hotel treadmill tonight.  Detroit + rain + snow = running indoors + grumpy face

Damaris - 3 days without running?  The Mayans were right.

Of course, I'm going to keep my streak alive tonight.  I'll probably run somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half.  Who knows.  Anyway, I'm planning on signing up for some of my goal races on January 1st and taking advantage of some discounts.  One of the races I did this year may be off of my list though.  Have you guys seen the sign up cost for Warrior Dash next year?  They're really talking about $90 entry fees.  Really?  That might be off of my list.  I love raising money for St. Jude's, but that's crazy.

If you sign up for Indianapolis Monumental Marathon on Jan 1-3, the full is only $55 and the half is only $50.  That's a huge savings.

The Chi Town Half Marathon is $63, but for a race in Chicago with a nice pull over and medal I think that's pretty good.

My big focus this year will be my first marathon.  I'll sprinkle in some 5 and 10K's to adjust my training paces and keep training interesting.  I'm running the half in spring just to get my sub-2hr half in, and a little bit more racing experience.  The rest of 2013 is going to be all about that marathon.  I haven't been below 200 pounds in 20 years, but I plan on getting there for the marathon.  I don't know if I'll be able to beat Dave's training run...lol...but I want it to be awesome.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Philliefan33

I knew I could count on you all to bring up the 10K.  I think that's why I mentioned it here -- so you would hold me accountable. 

Yes, I will run it.  For every excuse I try to come up with, there's a good reason the excuse is bogus.   It will be cold....but I have the right clothing to keep me comfortable.  It means missing my LR...but I am off work the whole next week so I can shift my running days around.  I think the course is hilly....I train on hills, hills may be uncomfortable but they are not going to kill me.  I'll probably finish close to last....get over yourself, no one else cares if you are DFL (someone has to be).

Can you tell I have a little anxiety??? It's not a matter of covering the distance, because I've run 6+ miles in training dozens of times.  I just have never tried to go that distance at faster than "easy" pace.

One of my running resolutions for 2013 is to step out of my comfort zone once in a while.  So I'll run the 10K on Sunday and start my 2013 attitude a week early.  Smile

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Phillie - I'm pretty sure that you won't be DFL.  If races in your area are anything like races in my area, the fact that you can run the distance at your easy pace will ensure that you're cheering people on at the finish line while eating a banana, and drinking bottled water.  My fiance thought she was toward the back of the pack in our last race because she didn't stick around the finish line.  Hell, she was 5th in her AG.  There were plenty of people behind her, and many of them were smiling and happy faces.

I look forward to hearing about the race afterwards.  I think you're going to surprise yourself. 

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Phillie, you'll do great!  I cannot wait to read the RR.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hola Penguins, Happy Thursday!  Who is on vacation already for the holidays?  I work today and tomorrow and then have the next 5 days off. After that it is half-day on Thursday and Friday next week and then more time off until Jan 3rd.

Finished reading yesterday's thread.  Welcome, Kitte!  You ran 10 miles while pregnant?  Awesome!

Did 3.5 miles at Fort Sam Houston last night, ALL hills the whole way.  Our temp did shoot up to 83 degrees, breaking the old San Antonio record for high temperature on Dec 19th.   I was drenched in sweat by the time I finished.  One funny thing, I was coming down the last hill, heading back to the gym to finish up, and ahead of me I could see this really weird-patterned fence-line, I kept thinking that sure is an odd color to paint a fence.  Then as I finally got close enough to where I could see 'it' clearly - I don't wear my glasses when I run and I am nearsighted - I saw it was not a fence at all, lol, but a long line of Navy trainees standing ramrod straight at attention in formation in those blue-and-black camouflage uniforms they wear.  Oh yeah, with my nearsightedness, sometimes some of my runs get real interesting with what I think I see, lol.

the foot/ankle is feeling a little better. The day after I exercise it, it is sore.  Umm, gee, Gustav, that should be telling you something.  quit exercising it, it still needs more rest!  .Wink.   Maybe you should go see a Physical Therapist and get some specific exercises for your specific type injury that will help it rehab faster.   Good luck!

Good luck with the 10, Dave!  I wish I had your darn stamina!

Margo, there's a blizzard?  Where is that?  Well, you weren't the first Penguin to post, but you were the first lady penguin to post today.   Unless Gustav and Dave aren't telling us something about themselves. Wink  Shoot, Phillie, you don't have to do the 10K faster than easy pace either, that's how I do all my 10Ks, just saunter along and have fun.  Long as I finish by sunset, I'm good!   Big grin  Of course, that's not for everyone, I suppose.

*Uggg, the track...especially an indoor track...how many times can you go around before you start to go crazy?  good luck with that, Jerry!

From Damaris:  Morning!  I have not run in 3 days  OMG, I agree with Kristin, the Mayans were right, the world is ending! Shocked

I like this random acts of kindness idea.  Me too.  I try to do them whenever I can.  Sometimes something will happen and I'll just do it on the spur of the moment - like a lady in front of me was short the other day at the checkout line in the grocery store, so I just paid the difference for her.  Random Acts Of Kindness has kind of become a habit with me.  Maybe it's my guilty conscience, I've done a lot of awful things in my life - especially during my young man life - and have a lot to make up for, so maybe this is a kind of way to make amends for me.

but for a race in Chicago with a nice pull over   Wait..you get pulled over while running the Chicago Half Marathon?  I bet the cops love doing that!  "Gee, officer, just how fast WAS I running?"   Well, Awood, as you said, at least it's a NICE pull over, so they must be polite about it.  Wink  Good luck on continuing your streak!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Phillie - there ain't no way you'll be DFL so go and enjoy it!  Although Sat weather is supposed to be a bit sketchy.

Morning everyone!   Gustav - I  love the Random Acts of Kindness thing.  My parents were big on that so growing up  we'd do stuff for fun all the time.  Little stuff like pay for the guy behind you at a toll booth (back when you just paid a toll with cash, lol) or put some flowers on somebody's windshield, things like that.  

kristin - that's a really nice tradition to come from a very sad situation.

I only got 1.5 in last night due to call which was a bummer but I'll do 5-7 easy on the TM tonight.

Have a great day everyone!

Liz