Beginners and Beyond

Alamo 13.1 and Donut Dash 5K and 10K Report and Photos (Read 16 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks, as always to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:      http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2020%20Alamo%20Krispy%20Kreme%20Donut%20Dash%205K

A couple of the photos came out a bit blurry, sorry about that, I am definitely no professional photographer, lol, but at least the photos are free.

BEFORE MY START

My 20th race of 2017 was the Alamo Krispy Kreme Donut Dash held on March 19th.  There was also the lead race the Alamo 13.1 half marathon, and there was a 10K.  The half also had a 2-person relay.   This is a very popular local event so lots of participants. Picked up my packet the day before.  Very nice tech tee race shirt, modeled here by my lovely wife.

photo 106_zpsovcfqhr8.jpg

Start and finish was in front of The Alamo in San Antonio.  Weather was overcast, temp was already 65 degrees at 6 a.m., and it was pretty humid.  I arrived onsite with plenty of time to go before the 5K and 10K started, and with about a half hour to go before the half started.  Wandered around and took some pre-start photos; my darn old-fashioned camera really does not like the dark, even with its flash, so a couple of the photos are really blurry, so my apologies to those people.  Good thing I just take these for fun and don’t get paid for it!

Green bibs doing the 5K, red bibs the 10K, brown bibs with blue numbers, the half

First person I encountered upon arrival was my friend, Arturo - who I know works for Men In Black, but he won't admit it - who did the half marathon.

photo 001_zpst29aj4w6.jpg

And more....

photo 003_zpswqqb8zqd.jpg

photo 004_zpsjxadv4cs.jpg

photo 005_zpszqxpztfa.jpg

photo 007_zpsj5vdnfd6.jpg

photo 009_zps6ahamko0.jpg

THIS guy walked the half with these crutches...

photo 011_zpsmi2pkkin.jpg

My camera being temperamental - along with my lousy skill, lol - really blurred this photo. This lady is actually really quite lovely.  My apologies to her.

photo 012_zpsukg3n1zp.jpg

photo 014_zpsfqlldaer.jpg

photo 015_zpsqzkrpynw.jpg

He ran the half in this gear and carrying the flag...and finished in an hour and something, sheesh!

photo 016_zpsdwqx1gvi.jpg

photo 017_zps7xnkjq3e.jpg

photo 018_zps9rzpo4dm.jpg

photo 019_zpssuuqiztr.jpg

photo 031_zpsc6wk8zav.jpg

photo 030_zpsl7tonklx.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The half was supposed to start first and then the 5K and 10K folks would start at 7:45.  There was some delay with the half, so that delayed all starts for a bit.  The half folks finally got going, with the start in front of The Alamo.  They did a loop-around on their course and passed The Alamo a second time.  I got a few photos of some of the half folks coming past we 10K and 5K folks as we waited for our start., and was keeping an eye out for some of my fellow Team RWB members.

photo 020_zps7czw0xcl.jpg

photo 023_zpsm6obis5x.jpg

photo 024_zpsf9wchfpr.jpg

photo 025_zpswcakzenu.jpg

photo 026_zpsspd3h5m7.jpg

photo 028_zpse5dk6uek.jpg

photo 029_zpsvlldlyan.jpg

photo 032_zpshygsjcqa.jpg

photo 033_zpsgrgylbm6.jpg

photo 034_zpskbn9yjaa.jpg

photo 036_zpsfrahlvu6.jpg

photo 037_zpssqkqzshy.jpg

…and then it was our turn, 5K/10K.  We started the same way the half folks did but did not do second running past The Alamo.  We turned to the right and headed toward East San Antonio, going past The Alamo Dome stadium.  At this point, 10K, 5K, and some of the half participants were all comingled in one big running group of people.  We climbed a short hill, and the 5K/10K folks turned left while the half folk continued on – with more hill to go for them.  5K/10K proceeded onto the historic Hays Street Bridge, then a route around some of downtown San Antonio, then we 5K folks split off from the 10K folks.  We went onto the San Antonio Riverwalk for a short stint there, then back up to the streets to head back to The Alamo, where we finished. Later in the morning, I heard from the 10K and half participants that they too ran on the Riverwalk part of the course and then back to The Alamo.

photo 039_zpsel3ssb0d.jpg

photo 040_zpsu2kcya6c.jpg

photo 042_zpslmrkls0s.jpg

photo 043_zpswfrzgyyt.jpg

photo 044_zpseyi5dm9i.jpg

photo 045_zpskha5etac.jpg

photo 046_zpsmrdpdbh8.jpg

photo 048_zpsdidxchnv.jpg

photo 049_zpsmktyhlb0.jpg

photo 050_zpsijl9v2vr.jpg

photo 051_zpsarw3pegh.jpg

photo 052_zpsjncbgjro.jpg

photo 053_zps7lhmmfsn.jpg

5Kers...first ones to do the Riverwalk part of the course

photo 054_zpslesxsole.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

Since we 5K folks finished before everyone else, we had first shot at the goodies.  There was beer - my first stop, lol, and I enjoyed my post-race one beer; I usually drive myself to my races, so always try to be sensible about the post-race beer.  Krispy Kreme folks passed out a Krispy Kreme “server” hat with two donuts in it – one chocolate, one glazed and yes, I had my two; and there was also some kid of fruit cup given out and even baked potatoes with cheese.

Several sponsor/vendors were providing product souvenirs, and there was also a company there giving post-race massages, very nice.  I wandered around taking some after-photos…and even more after the half people started coming in…some of those runners are dang speedy…I think their half times are quicker than my 10K time, lol.   All the participants from each race also got a finisher medal.

Found the beer, served up by lovely ladies

photo 060_zps4wyzznsu.jpg

Oh yeah....

photo 061_zpsxgekp91s.jpg

and donuts....

photo 063_zps5lpa2apf.jpg

photo 067_zpsqq0zg8d6.jpg

And baked potatoes with cheese....

photo 094_zpsefmpff2x.jpg

and there was actually some "health' food....  

photo 066_zps2qoa8oaz.jpg

This lovely lady is with KENS-5 local news and did short interview with me.  Had my medal on but, lol, it kept bumping into my chest as it swung as I walked around, so I hung it behind me.

photo 055_zps4ew1sciq.jpg

photo 058_zpspcg0odkg.jpg

photo 059_zps6uc79hci.jpg

One of the speedy half marathon finishers

photo 062_zpsakkfvonm.jpg

photo 064_zpsyj1mrhdo.jpg

photo 065_zpsxc2osgvz.jpg

photo 068_zpshoridqez.jpg

This couple did the 10K, if I remember correctly, and pushed the stroller the whole way.  They each got a medal but the little one did not. I told them, 'well, she participated too', so I gave the little one mine, so each member of their family that was on the course would have one.  The little one in the stroller seemed quite happy with her new 'toy', lol.

photo 069_zpsncueqxjs.jpg

photo 070_zpszdwkortp.jpg

photo 071_zpsaa1ov9rz.jpg

photo 072_zpsu7n3opvr.jpg

photo 073_zpsnrpav6td.jpg

photo 074_zpsczwcpti0.jpg

Massages for everyone!

photo 075_zpsso5xsgum.jpg

The Spartan finished..still wearing all his gear

photo 076_zpsnveumcq3.jpg

photo 077_zps3wafu69s.jpg

photo 078_zps1ajf5xup.jpg

photo 079_zpscget11wa.jpg

My friend here did the half

photo 080_zpsdtsjy1of.jpg

photo 082_zps2mimdpxj.jpg

photo 084_zpsnq3y1mqu.jpg

Another friend...she actually fell and had slightly bloody knees..but still finished the half.

photo 085_zpsjpsalxyp.jpg

My friend Jim here was 3rd in his age group for the half.  The young lady was first in hers.

photo 086_zpsuda05ceo.jpg

photo 097_zpsddiyu1my.jpg

photo 087_zpstjkfrrzx.jpg

photo 088_zpsq7wqslqf.jpg

photo 089_zpspy1bb4ck.jpg

photo 090_zpsafyw0zh0.jpg

photo 093_zpspo5amdwx.jpg

photo 095_zpsjyr9nyt5.jpg

photo 096_zpsjhnapijg.jpg

photo 098_zpsm822sfvt.jpg

photo 100_zpsslh8agfv.jpg

photo 101_zpscw4k2xn7.jpg

After doing 2Ks this weekend before this one, I pretty much just decided to ‘goof’ a little on this one, and stopped a couple more times than I usually do to take a few extra photos.  I ended up with a finish time of 35-something, and did not even think about maybe getting an award with that time, so I just kept wandering around taking photos and missed the 5K awards.  Apparently, though, the 5K was the smallest group of participants…there were only 7 in my age group and a friend of mine came along and told me I had finished 3rd and had to go to the awards area to get my award.   So I did; and got a photo of the awards announcer – super nice guy

photo 099_zpskh1t5elx.jpg

– and also got a certificate and a souvenir glass.

photo 102_zpsduglq9ex.jpg

photo 103_zpsbqdodgyx.jpg

EPILOGUE

Super event, definitely a keeper on the race calendar, do it whenever you can if you are in the San Antonio area when it is being put on.  This was my first time doing this event and I would do this event again. I really enjoyed the 5K and from what others were telling me, they enjoyed their races too; the only problem I heard about was a friend telling me there was some delay in the shuttles getting the half relay folks out to their point on the course to wait for their team members to come along; so I guess that was maybe why all the races were delayed a bit.  Other than that, I got the impression from the people I interacted with that they seemed to be pretty satisfied with it.

MUCHO thanks also to all folks that made this one possible for we participants; the sponsors, the volunteers, the law enforcement/security folks out there for us, RPP timing for doing the results, etc, city govt/employees of San Antonio and The Alamo for the use of this great venue, all the surrounding course hotels and businesses for letting us invade their space for a few hours, et al – everyone who had an involvement with this event.  THANK YOU.

Hope you enjoyed the report and photos!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I'm amazed that the city allows the streets to be closed down as often as they do for running events.  Nice that they are so supportive.  Looks like a fun and very popular event.

PurposeRace

Scotty Dog,  thanks for you kind words about Alamo 13.1 and Doughnut Dash 3.1/6/2.

We REALLY appreciate the amazing San Antonio running community.

Sincerely,

Your friendly "Awards Announcer" Guy!

David