Beginners and Beyond

Some runs are Extraordinary (Read 88 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You ever notice how most of your runs always feel like a workout, or normal and average? Or at least something like that..... but then there comes a run, normally a long run that just feels extraordinary. You don't feel like you're actually making an effort, you don't feel tired afterwards and you might even feel like you could go on for another hour or 2. What makes that run even better, or more surreal is when it is ran on backcountry roads and it feels like you're on a road trip, or just out exploring and taking all the scenery in, al the smells, sounds and feel of it. 

Yesterday's 8 miler was that run for me, not because it was the best in a long time, because I don't think I've had a bad run since mid March and because the first 3 miles I did feel sick to my stomach (pork sausages for breakfast... yucky mistake and was reminded why I don't eat pork), but it was just an amazing day out there. The country roads were relatively quiet, the birds were talking and the cows were staring at me, the soft steps of my shoes, it was nice and chilly around 50 degrees or so and cloudy with a threat of a storm. It was just surreal and I really wanted to run for another hour, take some roads I haven't been on. I felt I could have kept running and just maybe I would have found something amazing.

A run like yesterday is the reason I want to get my long runs up to anywhere between 15-20 miles, because it is just amazing to slow down and enjoy life's beauty and actually take everything in. I don't care if it takes me another year or two to reach those long run miles, but I am determined to reach them and to do them occasionally just to gain back sanity and "rest" mentally and emotionally. The idea of being out there for as long as possible is what really drives me to run, even when I'm not feeling great, I feel purged and cleansed, ready to take on whatever.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Nice post, FS. Yes, those runs are special and they should be cherished. I'm glad you had one of those yesterday. Keep up the great work!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Mmmmm...beer

I love those runs, they make all the tough/bad runs worth it!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Cool It was an awesome run, the only con to running out in the country is the occasional crazy driver....but that is only at night really. I'd honestly love to do a long run at night during a full moon out there, THAT would be an amazing run.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Mmmmm...beer

Cool It was an awesome run, the only con to running out in the country is the occasional crazy driver....but that is only at night really. I'd honestly love to do a long run at night during a full moon out there, THAT would be an amazing run.

I have yet to catch a full moon when we're visiting the inlaws in the country, but when I do, you can bet I'm going running at night without my headlamp!  There is nothing like a full moon in the country with no light pollution, it's breathtaking.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I meant to run in the woods this past winter during a full moon, no leaves on the trees  and the full moon as you guide... it would be awesome. I've been out in the woods photographing during a full moon, but never for a run, this winter I am definitely going to.

PRs

Love the Half

You realize that the running gods will very shortly turn what should have been an easy run into a suckfest just to even out the karma.  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will not hear it!!! You shush, if my easy run tonight sucks I am so going to come on here and blame you! Joking

You realize that the running gods will very shortly turn what should have been an easy run into a suckfest just to even out the karma.  Big grin

PRs

Buelligan

Everyone of my runs is a great run.

They make me happy in my pants.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

That's strange..........

I don't know what or how I would react if I ever came across a runner with a uhm...... erection.

Edited: LTH, my run today did not suck! So hah!! Joking

PRs

Luke79

I feel exactly as you do about long runs, and my intentions are to increase my LR mileage for the same reasons.  I love those good runs, and I want more.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah, I don't intend on increasing my long runs for a marathon, but to be out there longer. I would love to do the Western States 100, not just the race so much but the trails itself. I'd love to be out there on the trails for hours upon hours.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

This is what usually happens.

I love those types of runs.  They make everything better.  Especially when I am struggling through a bad asthma or allergy bout and can barely run and then I run and it's all working fine.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

It does not have to be the next one Big grin

That's strange..........

I don't know what or how I would react if I ever came across a runner with a uhm...... erection.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

When you least expect it, expect it.  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).